FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lsed Oct 30, 2017 10:51 am

btw which card would you guys use on a transaction > 10K in foreign currency, in a watch boutique?

So far the best I've found is UOB PRVI Visa / Mastercard 2.4 mpd on foreign transactions.

shuigao Oct 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 28994682)
2.9K UNI$ = 5.8K miles =)

Woops, I knew that my calculus and other advanced math skills have gone down the drain, but I didn't know that I can't even do basic multiplication / division properly anymore ;)

Didn't know that UOB gives 4mpd for all foreign spend, that's a crazy high amount. Makes me think twice about switching cards for my upcoming South Korea trip (Was planning to use my prestige to qualify for the free airport transfer ... but ... 4mpd ...)

Kelvin L Oct 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 28996781)
Woops, I knew that my calculus and other advanced math skills have gone down the drain, but I didn't know that I can't even do basic multiplication / division properly anymore ;)

Didn't know that UOB gives 4mpd for all foreign spend, that's a crazy high amount. Makes me think twice about switching cards for my upcoming South Korea trip (Was planning to use my prestige to qualify for the free airport transfer ... but ... 4mpd ...)

actually i think the uob visa signature is a bit too restrictive to be useful. to qualify for 4x miles you need to spend at least S$1000 worth in foreign currency and up till a max of S$2000 only. foreign currency also includes online purchase in foreign currency.
usually for hotel costs, i will prefer getting the 6x from expedia or agoda instead.

likewise, if you use it for petrol or paywave locally, you need a min of S$1000 spend too.

if you are using the card for both local and foreign use, the total max UNI$ is 4000 (2k spend, which need at least 1k in foreign and local to qualify for their bonus. i believe the excess over 2k spend gets 0 UNI) so best to use in just either foreign or local currency

lsed Nov 2, 2017 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Kelvin L (Post 28996903)
actually i think the uob visa signature is a bit too restrictive to be useful. to qualify for 4x miles you need to spend at least S$1000 worth in foreign currency and up till a max of S$2000 only. foreign currency also includes online purchase in foreign currency.
usually for hotel costs, i will prefer getting the 6x from expedia or agoda instead.

likewise, if you use it for petrol or paywave locally, you need a min of S$1000 spend too.

if you are using the card for both local and foreign use, the total max UNI$ is 4000 (2k spend, which need at least 1k in foreign and local to qualify for their bonus. i believe the excess over 2k spend gets 0 UNI) so best to use in just either foreign or local currency

I've been using this card for many years now - only for the foreign spending.

In parts of central Europe, many restaurants don't accept Amex so this is good for dining. Only problem is that the 2K Cap is really low, but sometimes your trip covers 2 statement periods so thats better.

lsed Nov 2, 2017 8:41 am

Just an update to my Hyatt DCC charge.
The hotel managed to swap the currency on their back end.

On my UOB statement I did see the original DCC charge post in SGD, which then got fully credited
and then another charged but in EUR.

So it's all settled now.

--------

On a side note, for the DCC transaction which already included 3% forex charge, UOB added an extra 1% to the charge.

Hence always make sure to choose the foreign currency!

lcpteck Nov 2, 2017 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 29008664)
Just an update to my Hyatt DCC charge.
The hotel managed to swap the currency on their back end.

On my UOB statement I did see the original DCC charge post in SGD, which then got fully credited
and then another charged but in EUR.

So it's all settled now.

--------

On a side note, for the DCC transaction which already included 3% forex charge, UOB added an extra 1% to the charge.

Hence always make sure to choose the foreign currency!

Glad it ended well. ^

MilesBuzz Nov 4, 2017 4:55 am

What's the best card to use for Apple Pay nowadays? Still UOB PPV?

chrispstan Nov 7, 2017 6:45 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 28994755)
btw which card would you guys use on a transaction > 10K in foreign currency, in a watch boutique?

So far the best I've found is UOB PRVI Visa / Mastercard 2.4 mpd on foreign transactions.

The Standard Chartered Visa Infinite gives 3mpd for forex spend (minimum of S$2k but no maximum). This is supposed to be a promo rate ending 31 December 2017 but hopefully it gets extended in the new year.

worldrally Nov 7, 2017 6:50 pm

Anybody can confirm Ebay purchases through Paypal using Citi Rewards will qualify for 10x? TIA!

phelansg Nov 15, 2017 6:18 am

I just received a OCBC Voyage mailer offering 3 voyage miles with every S$1 spent overseas from now to 31 Dec. This is the second time I have received this in a year.

I suspect this is a targeted offer, since I did put a overseas use notification for my upcoming trip later this month. For the earlier offer, it was sent to me in the June-July period, and the 3 miles offer period cover the period I traveled in July and had placed a overseas use notification in July as well.

Anyone with a Voyage received this offer this year? Did the offer period correspond closely with your overseas use notification period as well?

Jaunt411 Nov 18, 2017 9:57 am

For any Aussies with the Westpac cards, I got this message on my recent statement ... the AMEX card will be discontinued next year ...

Important notice - Your Singapore Airlines Westpac Platinum American Express Card will close on 4 April 2018.

Regulations introduced by the Reserve Bank of Australia earlier this year, affect credit cards issued by Australian banks, particularly bank-issued American Express Cards. In response, we have reviewed our reward credit cards and want to notify you that from 4 April 2018 we are closing all Westpac-issued American Express Cards. If your American Express Card expires in March 2018, you will not be reissued with a new card, and your card will close earlier on 31 March 2018. You will no longer be able to use your Singapore Airlines Westpac Platinum American Express Card from the date of closure. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

You can continue to use your Singapore Airlines Westpac Platinum American Express Card to earn more points until it closes. These changes do not affect your Singapore Airlines Westpac Platinum Visa Card and you can continue to use your card as you do today.

Tiger9119 Nov 26, 2017 9:20 am

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

Overseas Spent – UOB PRVI Miles (2.4 miles) vs OCBC Voyage (2.3 miles)

Fees for foreign currency transactions

UOB PRVI miles credit card 3.25% vs OCBC Voyage 2.8%

Assuming the USD/SGD exchange rate is 1.35 and one spent USD100.00

UOB PRVI Miles - USD100.00 = SGD135.00 + 3.25% = SGD139.38 = 324 miles*

OCBC Voyage – USD100.00 = SGD135.00 + 2.80% = SGD138.78 = 317 miles

Assuming 1 mile is worth 3cts, the extra 7 miles is worth only 21cts but you are paying extra 60cts for it.

*UOB round down to the nearest $5.

lokijuh Nov 28, 2017 3:11 am

Bit annoyed with DBS today, have been using the Live Fresh Card to accumulate 5% cashback + 3xDBS points (1.2 KF miles/SGD) on online spend/pay wave. However I'm still 230 pts short of the minimum threshold for transferring DBS points to Krisflyer. They have now announced the card will now stop earning DBS points with effect 1 December, so will have no chance of accruing those 230 pts now. Instead of getting those 10,000 KF miles, I will have to make do with $60 worth of vouchers .... of course, I value 10,000 miles at least at $150 ... It's a minor thing but so typical of the contempt big businesses show for consumers here.

Kelvin L Nov 28, 2017 7:24 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 29108323)
Bit annoyed with DBS today, have been using the Live Fresh Card to accumulate 5% cashback + 3xDBS points (1.2 KF miles/SGD) on online spend/pay wave. However I'm still 230 pts short of the minimum threshold for transferring DBS points to Krisflyer. They have now announced the card will now stop earning DBS points with effect 1 December, so will have no chance of accruing those 230 pts now. Instead of getting those 10,000 KF miles, I will have to make do with $60 worth of vouchers .... of course, I value 10,000 miles at least at $150 ... It's a minor thing but so typical of the contempt big businesses show for consumers here.

doesn't DBS points pool together? just use other cards and redeem them later if they do not expire on 1st dec

lokijuh Nov 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kelvin L (Post 29108964)
doesn't DBS points pool together? just use other cards and redeem them later if they do not expire on 1st dec

I don't have any other DBS cards ... and not sure if I can get a new card and enough spend before my points expires at end of Dec. S