FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

lifeonthego_k Apr 28, 2018 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany (Post 29694507)

i take it the supermarkets like Cold Storage, Giant and Fairprice are excluded? How about Redmart?

Read the T&Cs. Very few transactions are on the exclusion list and one of the ones you mention are on it.

carrotjuice Apr 28, 2018 11:24 pm

So where do people see the biggest opportunities for this if spending is limited to SGD in Singapore at eligible merchants?

i take it the supermarkets like Cold Storage, Giant and Fairprice are excluded? How about Redmart?

Why would supermarkets be excluded? Citibank’s cards never had them as a special category that earns 4 miles per $1 - only “department stores, shoes, clothings and bags” in the case of Rewards card.

lifeonthego_k Apr 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 29692405)
Read the terms carefully. Foreign currency is excluded for Premier Miles, Prestige and Ultima only - not for Rewards!

Yes, it doesn't say anything explicitly in the terms. However, CSOs are as yet unable to confirm that foreign transactions can indeed earn 20x. I'll get a call back on Monday from a CSO with more info.

spk307 Apr 29, 2018 1:59 am

Foreign currency transactions get 20x - confirmed for rewards card. But only if they were excluded from 10x before.

carrotjuice Apr 29, 2018 3:23 am

Originally Posted by spk307 (Post 29695168)
Foreign currency transactions get 20x - confirmed for rewards card. But only if they were excluded from 10x before.

The Rewards card has now moved to the front of my wallet (or Apple Pay, as the case may be). There’s no loss - use it at any merchant and earn 20X Rewards. Use it at excluded merchants of “department stores, clothing, shoes and handbags” and earn 10X Rewards (as you’d normally do with a physical card, anyway).

NetJets Germany Apr 29, 2018 3:29 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 29694930)
Why would supermarkets be excluded? Citibank’s cards never had them as a special category that earns 4 miles per $1 - only “department stores, shoes, clothings and bags” in the case of Rewards card.

My mistake, I mixed this up with another bank’s credit card - apologies!

I’ve got the Prestige and the Premiermiles Visa card, and upon re-reading the T&Cs, it appears to me that supermarkets and App payments (SQ and CX app) should be eligible for increased miles / Citi Dollars under this promotion. I’m not sure on Redmart yet.

qsharp May 1, 2018 11:52 pm

Which card do you currently use for Points.com purchases? I am planning to buy IHG points and they are handled by Points.com. I have heard recent news that OCBC TR made a fuss about it and people had to submit proof of online transaction to claim the extra miles. What about the DBS WWMC or UOB PPV?

lifeonthego_k May 2, 2018 8:43 am

Originally Posted by qsharp (Post 29705763)
Which card do you currently use for Points.com purchases? I am planning to buy IHG points and they are handled by Points.com. I have heard recent news that OCBC TR made a fuss about it and people had to submit proof of online transaction to claim the extra miles. What about the DBS WWMC or UOB PPV?

DBS WWMC no longer awards 4mpd for points.com. Use Citi Rewards instead. Read this article for more info: PSA: DBS Woman's World Card may no longer earn 10X at Points.com - The MileLion

SMK77 May 3, 2018 4:23 am

So where do people see the biggest opportunities for this if spending is limited to SGD in Singapore at eligible merchants?

To me, paying for flights on the SQ and CX apps could potentially look very interesting, unless there is a catch that has escaped my attention?

https://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/land...conditions.pdf

Supermarkets are included and you can buy NTUC vouchers to keep your 16% discount for purchases post July.

Buying wine/champagne can be attractive with the discount as the discount is on top of the aggressive pricing for selected wines/champagnes for example at Cold Storage.

No catch for SQ or CX. Still have to try whether purchases for tickets originating outside of Singapore but paid in SGD qualify but the T&C seem to support that those transactions are eligible. You can become a PPS member now for 16% off.

carrotjuice May 3, 2018 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 29710342)
https://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/land...conditions.pdf

Supermarkets are included and you can buy NTUC vouchers to keep your 16% discount for purchases post July.

Buying wine/champagne can be attractive with the discount as the discount is on top of the aggressive pricing for selected wines/champagnes for example at Cold Storage.

Sorry don’t get the 16% discount thingy... care to explain please?

SMK77 May 3, 2018 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 29712491)
Sorry don’t get the 16% discount thingy... care to explain please?

Buy NTUC Voucher for 1,000$ using Apple Pay gets you 8,000 Miles in return. Using 2 cents per mile as the given valuation, you get 160$ cash back or discount in form of miles.

Same for Apple products or SQ tickets.

yosithezet May 3, 2018 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 29713011)

Buy NTUC Voucher for 1,000$ using Apple Pay gets you 8,000 Miles in return. Using 2 cents per mile as the given valuation, you get 160$ cash back or discount in form of miles.

Same for Apple products or SQ tickets.

What is the validity of the vouchers? 1 year or?

Are they equivalent to cash at FairPrice? Still get all the normal discounts on products? Anywhere but FairPrice to use them?

SMK77 May 4, 2018 12:48 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 29713908)
What is the validity of the vouchers? 1 year or?

Are they equivalent to cash at FairPrice? Still get all the normal discounts on products? Anywhere but FairPrice to use them?

I am happy to introduce you to my friend Mr Google as I am not representing FairPrice or any of their products.

NetJets Germany May 6, 2018 12:27 am

Originally Posted by spk307 (Post 29695168)

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 29695302)

The Rewards card has now moved to the front of my wallet (or Apple Pay, as the case may be). There’s no loss - use it at any merchant and earn 20X Rewards. Use it at excluded merchants of “department stores, clothing, shoes and handbags” and earn 10X Rewards (as you’d normally do with a physical card, anyway).

So would ticket purchases on the SQ and CX apps be included in the 20X Rewards for the Rewards card? Im asking since the T&Cs state that transactions that already earn 10X Rewards, including online transactions, are excluded from the bonus 20X promotion. So do SQ and CX app purchases count as online purchases, or are they treated separately?

lifeonthego_k May 6, 2018 10:14 am

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany (Post 29720671)
So would ticket purchases on the SQ and CX apps be included in the 20X Rewards for the Rewards card? Im asking since the T&Cs state that transactions that already earn 10X Rewards, including online transactions, are excluded from the bonus 20X promotion. So do SQ and CX app purchases count as online purchases, or are they treated separately?

Yes, SQ and CX would yield 20x points when using their in-app Apple Pay option to pay. These online transactions would normally give 1x, and not 10x with Citi Rewards, hence they are eligible to get 20x now under the promo.