FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

demue Aug 31, 2017 9:46 pm

Agree, if no option to earn better than 1mls per dollar for a particular transaction this could be a possibility. I would first need to get the card though so am not rushing for this just yet in my case. Maybe next year for tax payments.

williamqian2014 Sep 1, 2017 1:08 am

There is an application MILESLIFE. Anyone use it? It seems that you can accumulate extra miles from dining.

SQ319 Sep 1, 2017 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by williamqian2014 (Post 28763257)
There is an application MILESLIFE. Anyone use it? It seems that you can accumulate extra miles from dining.

Discussed earlier.

- Limited restaurants in the list
- usually only valid for alacarte orders

I only signed up for the sign on miles...

mishkira Sep 2, 2017 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 26607583)
You are right redemption is 4k miles for $10k spend (i.e. 10 HSBC Reward points). But I pay .5% on the $10,000 tax payment (= $50), so I am effectively buying 4k points by paying a fee of $50, ergo 1.25 cents per SQ KF mile.

Is this card therefore not the best card for Income Tax payments, better than the ANZ and SCB VI cards people normally use for income tax payments? Or am I missing something?

Sorry just want to refloat old question from 2016 discusssion. So what is the best card to pay income tax (to get KF miles) nowadays?

I am still using HSBC Premier MC (since old days when flood gate was wide open to accumulate lots miles), but guess a better option exists now?

Many thanks

shuigao Sep 4, 2017 7:23 pm

Just made my first Citi Prestige limo booking (to and from airport) for a trip later this week.

I understand from the concierge and the T&C's that in any calendar quarter which you meet the qualifying spend (s$1500 in FCY equivalent), you get 4 "free" transfers (limited to 8 a year).

Unfortunately I don't have any other trips happening in this quarter, so I'm wondering if I should just do the shameless kiasu thing and arrange a two-way transfer before the end of September just to like ... I dunno. Go to the airport and have dinner and come back.

invisible Sep 5, 2017 3:47 am

Originally Posted by mishkira (Post 28769728)
Sorry just want to refloat old question from 2016 discusssion. So what is the best card to pay income tax (to get KF miles) nowadays?

I am still using HSBC Premier MC (since old days when flood gate was wide open to accumulate lots miles), but guess a better option exists now?

Nothing really exists.

DBS WWMC->AXS-Online - gone 5 years ago
DBS WWMC/Altitude ->FEVO->AXS-online - gone this Jul
Citi Rewards MC->AXS-online - gone last Dec

Remaining is HSBC Premier tax payment facility with 0.5% and I think SC's tax payment facility with the similar admin fee but it is pretty much the same as $200 paying annual fee on other cards to get 10k miles.

You can use Premier MC to pay taxes via AXS online and get points but it is 0.4 miles per $ spent. So paying $20K tax you will get 8000 miles. Probably better than nothing but most likely with this amount of tax you need to accumulate miles for 5 years and by that time and (for sure) devaluations you could not probably fly even to Hong Kong in Economy with 40K miles...

LuisHK Sep 7, 2017 2:51 am

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 28776802)
Just made my first Citi Prestige limo booking (to and from airport) for a trip later this week.

I understand from the concierge and the T&C's that in any calendar quarter which you meet the qualifying spend (s$1500 in FCY equivalent), you get 4 "free" transfers (limited to 8 a year).

Unfortunately I don't have any other trips happening in this quarter, so I'm wondering if I should just do the shameless kiasu thing and arrange a two-way transfer before the end of September just to like ... I dunno. Go to the airport and have dinner and come back.

Why not? It's within the rules and I don't see this as an abuse.
Changi Airport do have some fairly decent dining options as well.

You can even do some shopping - GST free

jagmeets Sep 8, 2017 2:21 am

UOB Preferred Plat Amex..S$6k cap..

Just got the below SMS..

"With effect from 10 Oct 2017, the total UNI$ awarded on qualifying spend on dining transactions will be capped at UNI$12,000 for each calendar year.

w4rd Sep 8, 2017 2:23 am

UOB PPA

Just received the following SMS from UOB...

UOB Preferred Platinum Amex: With effect from 10 Oct 2017, the total UNI$ awarded on qualifying spend on dining transactions will be capped at UNI$12,000 for each calendar year. Please visit uob.com.sg/ppa for the revised terms and conditions.
Looks like they capped the legendary PPA. At least its not dead I guess.

lcpteck Sep 8, 2017 4:50 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 28791372)
Just got the below SMS..

"With effect from 10 Oct 2017, the total UNI$ awarded on qualifying spend on dining transactions will be capped at UNI$12,000 for each calendar year.

Originally Posted by w4rd (Post 28791377)
Just received the following SMS from UOB...

Looks like they capped the legendary PPA. At least its not dead I guess.

On average, that's about S$500/month spend cap.

carrotjuice Sep 8, 2017 6:33 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 28791612)
On average, that's about S$500/month spend cap.

At least the PPAmex cap is per year, unlike the dreadful cap on PPVisa which is per month.

invisible Sep 9, 2017 6:24 am

Cardup and citi PM - WARNING

Warning (already late) to these who used Citi PM to charge $9K and get 41K miles promo. I saw 'finance charges' on the list of transactions. Called in and was told that transactions via CardUp are classified as 'wire transfer/financial services'.

Translation - you will get finance charges from Citi on top of 2.6% cardup charges AND you won't get any bonus miles, because they don't qualify.

w4rd Sep 9, 2017 8:50 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 28795582)
Warning (already late) to these who used Citi PM to charge $9K and get 41K miles promo. I saw 'finance charges' on the list of transactions. Called in and was told that transactions via CardUp are classified as 'wire transfer/financial services'.

Translation - you will get finance charges from Citi on top of 2.6% cardup charges AND you won't get any bonus miles, because they don't qualify.

I just checked a CardUp transaction I did with my Citi Prestige last month and I got the points without a finance charge. Sorry to hear they screwed you.

spk307 Sep 9, 2017 10:50 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 28795582)

Finance charges are charged if you withdraw cash etc. Are you sure they were related to Cardup?

MilesBuzz Sep 9, 2017 1:31 pm

Is there still a card that you can use to pay for SP bllls as well as insurance and earn points?

I used DBS Altitude Visa card to pay for SP bills in the past few years (auto-charged in fact). However, it stopped rewarding points on bill payments wef July 2017.

I also used the same card to pay for my HKG insurance bills regularly and earned quite a decent 2x miles/S$1 everytime. But again, I think this is no longer the case wef July 2017.