Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
ARN could also just stop scanning every single passport for the purpose of finding people with outstanding taxes and thereby slowing down the process unnecessarily. Most EU entry points just briefly look at (Western) EU passport and wave you through. The 25second scanning of every single passport for Skatteverket is the nonsense that slows SE entry down. Ironically there is never anyone at T2 customs when entering from Schengen so anyone purposefully avoiding customs/border would just layover somewhere.
But it is the procedure to scan everyone's passport when exiting/entering the EU. The only place that they looked at our passport briefly with boarding pass and waved us through was CDG many years back. I saw the officers were asking questions for those who was about to enter France. It's clear that those who have onward boarding pass are not France's problem but those who don't they have to make sure that they are eligible to enter.

And yes, if someone wants to avoid being stopped by the police in Sweden/Denmark wherever, transiting through France (if they are still doing that) might work perfectly.

By the way, quite often the Swedish police by the bridge also take a picture of the licence plate of Swedish cars on top of the passport check. Mr also told me that they combined alcohol test with the passport control too. So if you drive from DK to SE via the bridge you could have to go through 4 checks if you are not lucky: Id check, licence plate check, alcohol test and a customs check. When they did have those checks they didn't put enough manpower to handle them. instead they only opened 2 booths. It feels like driving between the US and Canada.

In order for us to reduce the hassle, we tried to spot the booth with Polis (not those passport checkers) and our impression is that male polis are the fastest in screening and deciding. When a passport checker is uncertain about anything, they will direct people to secondary checkpoint = once we had to wait until they finished sweeping a whole bus with tons of pax on board.

It's nice we don't have to deal with this ordeal anymore.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
ARN could also just stop scanning every single passport for the purpose of finding people with outstanding taxes and thereby slowing down the process unnecessarily. Most EU entry points just briefly look at (Western) EU passport and wave you through. The 25second scanning of every single passport for Skatteverket is the nonsense that slows SE entry down. Ironically there is never anyone at T2 customs when entering from Schengen so anyone purposefully avoiding customs/border would just layover somewhere.
When entering Schengen, the passport has to be scanned and matched with the SIS Database, that was established sometime in 2018. Its more than national checks:

Alerts and data in SIS

SIS only contains alerts on people or objects falling under one of the following alert categories:
  • Refusal of entry or stay: alerts covering third-country nationals who are not entitled to enter into or stay in the Schengen Area.
  • Persons wanted for arrest: alerts for people for whom a European Arrest WarrantSearch for available translations of the preceding linkEN••• or Extradition Request (Switzerland and Liechtenstein) has been issued.
  • Missing persons: alerts to find missing persons, including children, and to place them under protection if lawful and necessary.
  • Persons sought to assist with a judicial procedure: alerts to find out the place of residence or domicile of people sought to assist with criminal judicial procedures (for example witnesses).
  • Persons and objects for discreet or specific checks: alerts to obtain information on people or related objects for the purposes of prosecuting criminal offences and for the prevention of threats to public or national security.
  • Objects for seizure or use as evidence in criminal procedures: alerts on objects (for example vehicles, travel documents, number plates and industrial equipment) being sought for seizure or use as evidence in criminal proceedings. Alerts on travel documents may also be issued specifically for preventing travel by the person who holds them.
From autumn 2022, the SIS will also contain alerts on the following:
  • Return decisions: alerts in respect of third-country nationals subject to return decisions issued by the Schengen countries.
  • Children at risk of being abducted by their own parents, relatives or guardians: alerts to prevent such children from being abducted or going missing
  • Vulnerable persons whose travel must be prevented: alerts to protect vulnerable people (adults or children) from being taken unlawfully abroad or to prevent them from travelling without the necessary authorisations.
  • Persons and objects for inquiry checks: additional alerts to obtain information on people or related objects for the purposes of prosecuting criminal offences and for the prevention of threats to public or national security.
  • Unknown wanted persons:alerts containing only fingermarks and palmmarks belonging to a perpetrator of an offence discovered at the scenes of terrorist offences or other serious crimes under investigation. They are issued for the purposes of identifying the perpetrator under national law.
https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/po...nd-data-sis_en
Fredrik74, the810, nacho and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The entry checks of my US passports at AMS have involved more nonsense than the entry checks of my US passports at ARN, CPH and OSL combined.

I dislike the implementation of automated border control/egates that have gone into place at the Schengen ports of entry/exit used by me. I don’t want to even imagine the mess that it will result in at times at ARN if ARN goes down that Schengen border control route using ABC/egates and also moves ahead with US CBP Preclearance.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by oliver2002
When entering Schengen, the passport has to be scanned and matched with the SIS Database, that was established sometime in 2018. Its more than national checks:
Interesting since I entered Schengen this Monday at AMS and the border guard most definitely did not scan or run my national ID against any database.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Interesting since I entered Schengen this Monday at AMS and the border guard most definitely did not scan or run my national ID against any database.
Maybe the chip in your passport got read by their reader and kicked back a clear so fast that you didn’t notice it was scanned?

It also could be that when KMar’s data connection goes down or gets slow at AMS they decide to take a quick look at some EU/Schengen passport-using people and just skip doing their full monty checks on the computers for so many.

“Oh the cute Swedish family with the little blonde kids, they look safe.” I come through with a very busy US passport (and a right to pass), and the KMar’s thoughts may be more akin to thinking they caught a Baltic crime lord with unimaginable associates and ask stupid questions that lead to the line behind slowing down and piling up more and more.

The Dutch, Swiss, French and sometimes the Italians used to not even open up my biodata passport page and would just stamp and send me on my way — but I’m entering and exiting on US passports — but nowadays three of those four take a much closer look at my passports before stamping them. [I refuse to pick up any foreign citizenships. I also trust my own government to stand up for me more than any one willing to make me a citizen on the fly. ]

It has long seemed to me that the Dutch passport control tend to be at least somewhat more relaxed about scanning foreign EU passports than Scandinavian airports’ passport control.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Same here, that is also my experience. The AMS guys, or CDG guys or WAW guys usually just look at it, notice its a Western European passport and give it back. Occasionally, one in maybe eight times they scan it. I'm sure this is Swedes following a rule that was established as if their lives depend on it but it would be great if they could deal with the mess it causes rather than having coffee breaks and blaming the airline for MCTs.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Same here, that is also my experience. The AMS guys, or CDG guys or WAW guys usually just look at it, notice its a Western European passport and give it back. Occasionally, one in maybe eight times they scan it. I'm sure this is Swedes following a rule that was established as if their lives depend on it but it would be great if they could deal with the mess it causes rather than having coffee breaks and blaming the airline for MCTs.
ARN passport control has a ways to go to being as slow as the worst of what I’ve been hit with at AMS, BRU, CDG and FRA. But ARN is more in the league of BRU than the others mentioned herein when it comes to passenger volumes.

Passenger numbers for WAW in 2021 are closer to what ARN had around 2012-2014.

If you want to see a mess get worse at Schengen airports of entry/exit, just wait until EES becomes mandatory. The variance in time required to clear passport control will probably hit new extremes.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 3, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I got a weird email from SK yesterday, they introduced a new Eurobonus functionality called "Points + Cash", pay for any fare partly of fully with points, with a slider to select the split. Is the new part of this that it used to be called "Cash + Points"? Or did I miss it being removed for a couple of hours before they introduced it as new? Blink and you'll miss it?

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Nov 4, 2022 at 5:02 am
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I got a weird email from SK yesterday, the introduce a new Eurobonus functionality called "Points + Cash", pay for any fare partly of fully with points, with a slider to select the split. Is the new part of this that it used to be called "Cash + Points"? Or did I miss it being removed for a couple of hours before they introduced it as new? Blink and you'll miss it?
Got the same email too. No idea what's so new about it.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you want to see a mess get worse at Schengen airports of entry/exit, just wait until EES becomes mandatory. The variance in time required to clear passport control will probably hit new extremes.
EES is a problem for non-Europeans though?

Like CDG has SkyPriority queues for passport checks. We need a priority system to expedite border control in ARN to.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:03 am
Suspended

EES is a problem for non-Europeans though?
I’m expecting EES will be very much so a problem at times for non-European passport users at Schengen ports of entry/exit. Even for those non-European passport users not subject to 90 day stay limits in the Schengen area.

About the idea of ARN putting in place priority passport control — akin to CDG — applicable even for non-European passport users, I would not be surprised to see it hit by a lot of that work to rule stuff. And that is if the government even managed to take a stab at trying it.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I don't see Scandinavians putting in place priority passport control, it would go strongly against the spirit of Jantelagen
the810 and AutismoSupremo like this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 8:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gojko88
I don't see Scandinavians putting in place priority passport control, it would go strongly against the spirit of Jantelagen
They did put in place priority security screening such that not all animals are treated equally.

Also, at least one major Scandinavian airport has been in the business of selling “VIP” “assistance” packages to individuals.

The spirit of jantelagen in Scandinavia remains over-hyped and selectively directed unless and until they ditch their privileged royal families and go from being constitutional monarchies to becoming republics.
gojko88 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:15 am

Its long overdue for the entire concept of Jantelagen to be buried and forgotten.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its long overdue for the entire concept of Jantelagen to be buried and forgotten.
It's used when it's at someone's convenience, otherwise it's buried and forgotten

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.