Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Why are the ARN F gates not used more often. Whenever I have a flight depart from the F gates, the whole thing is otherwise deserted, with many of the stands empty and the gate screens not even showing a later departure. I don't understand why they aren't used more often, the F gates just seem much more pleasant (ignoring the longer trek from the SK lounges) than the other concourses. They are just much more tranquil and peaceful... I guess I should feel lucky that many of my recent flights departed from the F gates. I don't know why, but I just like the tranquility and deserted airport ambience of the F gates for some reason, especially for evening departures.

And much more importantly: What happened to the Joe and The Juice in SkyCity? I am certain they used to be one there and now the only one is all the way at the back of Terminal 4. I do like my juices and tunacado sandwiches, but I'm not sure they warrant what is a 30 minute trek through the airport. I guess the ZRH flights when they were set on CRJs did depart from terminal 4 more often, but that seems to be a thing of the past now.
I agree about T5F; but I suspect that operations tend cluster about C, D and E Piers because of the convenience of operations. Less distance to/from operations rooms, other gates, etc. F is far superior for boarding wide body flights, the non-Schengen gate area the end of T5D is often packed to standing with long queues for the few toilets. T5G is still planned to be built (a new pier that will continue east at right angles from the base of T5F).

I might be wrong, but I think the other J&J franchise was a victim of Covid. But you might see the one in terminal 4 / C pier more often because with the airside connector passageway from T5D underneath SkyCity, more and more SAS flights (especially CRJ, but also A320) are departing from there.

Welcome to Scandinavia! It’s lovely. Just don’t try and start a conversation with strangers.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Why are the ARN F gates not used more often. Whenever I have a flight depart from the F gates, the whole thing is otherwise deserted, with many of the stands empty and the gate screens not even showing a later departure. I don't understand why they aren't used more often, the F gates just seem much more pleasant (ignoring the longer trek from the SK lounges) than the other concourses. They are just much more tranquil and peaceful... I guess I should feel lucky that many of my recent flights departed from the F gates. I don't know why, but I just like the tranquility and deserted airport ambience of the F gates for some reason, especially for evening departures.
My experience is that F is widely used for widebodies during the day, and the wingspan means that a widebody blocks two hard stands. So e.g. if there's a widebody parked at F32/62, and another parked at F36/66, a narrowbody can't fit into F34/64. And widebodies are usually parked for a much longer time span than narrowbodies. But they can use F34 as a bus gate. That's why F is widely used for bus gates departures.

Few widebodies are parked at ARN during the night, so late night arrivals with early morning departures on narrowbodies frequently use the F gates. Many departures between 06:00-07:00 are from F.

Edited to add that there's a much wider selection of restaurants, shops, and lounges at the E pier compared to the F pier. I have an impression that they try to limit departures from F after 19:00, and that may play into it.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
It just doesn't seem like the plans for the airport are very well thought out. The F-gates are dual use and sometimes blocked by non-Schengen. I think that decreases their availability.
There are many airplanes that arrive from intra-Schengen and depart to extra-Schengen, or vice versa. Apart from gates 17-18, the F gates are the only ones that can handle all combinations of arrivals/departures, and all sizes of airplanes. SAS obviously has many such flights. And while a SAS LHR-ARN-CPH turnaround also can be handled at gates 13-16, the opposite turnaround can only be handled on gates 17-18 and the F gates. The same is true for e.g. a Thomas Cook turnaround with an A333 arriving from e.g. PMI and departing to e.g. AYT. That flight can only be handled at gates 17-18 and the F gates.

If the F gates wouldn't be dual use, they would have a lot of flights every day when they would either have to physically tow the planes from one pier to another pier between arrival and departure, or they would have to take the passengers by bus on either arrival or departure.

Last edited by RedChili; Jan 14, 2023 at 1:06 am
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
SK Fast Track exit at CPH is pretty close to the lounge which I think it's close enough not to complain Try going through CPH Express and I use the allergy route to avoid going through the idiotic duty free shops.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
For those looking forward to get ANA started on the HND ARN route as an alternative to CPH HND on SK, ANA just released their summer 23 schedule, and no Stockholm flights are currently planned. Stockholm should not necessarily feel singled out, the new Istanbul and Milan routes don't take flight either.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For those looking forward to get ANA started on the HND ARN route as an alternative to CPH HND on SK, ANA just released their summer 23 schedule, and no Stockholm flights are currently planned. Stockholm should not necessarily feel singled out, the new Istanbul and Milan routes don't take flight either.
Is anyone really surprised that ARN-Japan isn't the order of the day? Even if the JPY depreciates more -- a lot more at that -- not sure that would be able to make this kind of thing fly for ANA.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Now I know why TK tickets to NRT is so expensive...

Not that I want to go to Japan now or in the near future, the hotel prices are like double than what it was before.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is anyone really surprised that ARN-Japan isn't the order of the day? Even if the JPY depreciates more -- a lot more at that -- not sure that would be able to make this kind of thing fly for ANA.
I would be surprised if it ever took off. But as it is SK got a Haneda slot, so a Japanese airline got one for Scandinavia as well. I would think JAL is even less interested in Stockholm than ANA is. But someone had to put it in the schedule, and I guess ANA was too slow when the shout went out "incoming, fire-in-the-hole"
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I didn't realize it was still a thing after the pre-pandemic announcement but would gladly use this route a lot. There are currently no long haul routes from ARN to anywhere relevant in APAC other than the good old mailorder bride route to BKK.

Whether its NH flying to HND or SQ rebooting their SIN route, either would be welcome.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I didn't realize it was still a thing after the pre-pandemic announcement but would gladly use this route a lot. There are currently no long haul routes from ARN to anywhere relevant in APAC other than the good old mailorder bride route to BKK.

Whether its NH flying to HND or SQ rebooting their SIN route, either would be welcome.
What's up with Air India at ARN? India is part of the APAC region.

In other ARN news, it seems like IHG will be having a CrownePlaza and HIX hotel opening not too far from Arlanda -- but closer to the expo site than to ARN.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:10 am

In other ARN news, it seems like IHG will be having a CrownePlaza and HIX hotel opening not too far from Arlanda -- but closer to the expo site than to ARN.
I found a slew of news articles from trade publications that all re-hash the same press release, but not much hard info about where the hotels will actually be. Good luck to them. It will not be easy to compete with convenience of the three hotels in or next to SkyCity.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
I found a slew of news articles from trade publications that all re-hash the same press release, but not much hard info about where the hotels will actually be. Good luck to them. It will not be easy to compete with convenience of the three hotels in or next to SkyCity.
They seem to be aimed primarily for the convention center/exhibition hall business, so that suggests to me that it will be closer to the Quality Hotel Arlanda XPO than to SkyCity.

There are no IHG brand hotels in Sweden -- or at least none that are coming up on my search on the IHG app.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose

Has MH axed the KUL-ARN route?
I think CA is still flying to PEK.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are no IHG brand hotels in Sweden -- or at least none that are coming up on my search on the IHG app.
Been like that for years, I don't think there's any in Norway either.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Has MH axed the KUL-ARN route?
I think CA is still flying to PEK.
MH hasn’t flown to ARN in a long time.

CA911/912 is weekly at present.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by nacho
Been like that for years, I don't think there's any in Norway either.
Are there any in Denmark besides the one next to Field's`?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.