Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2022, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Unbelievable that this doesn't already exist. Better to have it as a 93m tall statue in front of the airport since lounges tend to be ticked away out of sight in Scandinavian airports. We should run a kickstarter to fund it!

While Denmark is an example in few areas, mostly related to immigration, it isn't in most other areas. Sweden needs better role models. Not sure why Swedes would accept copying things from Denmark as a positive. The current Swedish government has 8 years worth of lefty environmental lollerpolitics to clean up and should really have more pressing matters to address, not limited to the inflation, recession, cost of living, cost of employment an energy crisis and infrastructure crisis that are making basic every day things impossible.

The reason why Sweden looks towards Denmark is not only immigration issues, it's also crime, education and healthcare.

In general Danes feel safe here. I had a parcel containing a fixed laptop (a box with ACER all over it) lying in my driveway for almost 2 weeks. If this was in Sweden it would have been gone for a long time. Also, we can actually leave our regular bikes in our garden/carport/terrace, again in my neighbourhood in Sweden it would have been stolen. I used to live in a town with 11k people in Southern Sweden with mostly white people. A friend used to live in Staffanstorp told me, "we have been storing our biked indoors because if it's outside it would be stolen". My old neighbourhood has a FB group and when I was in it, there were lots of posts about various things like teenagers used trash bins to block their front doors, they found someone emptying trash all over their gardens, and this one is pretty epic: someone broke into someone's shed to steal their frozen food. There are a lot of unsolved crime in Sweden and it seems no one can do anything about it.

This is part of the reason why we moved back to DK. Education is another thing, Denmark's poor education system is better than the Swedish ones. I know some Danish families moved back from Sweden to Denmark (so the kids are native Danish speakers), they sent them to regular elementary school. Their academic level was so low that the school had to put extra resources to tutor them and the school gave them a month to catch up, if not they have to be put in a lower grade. My kids received IB education in Sweden and when they came to Dk and enter IB/IGCSE, they had to catch up like hell. My daughter who had good grades in Sweden asked me why her classmates know so much more than she does. My youngest was really happy with his new school and finally learning properly. All my kids said most of their classmates are much nicer in DK than SE.

Healthcare - in DK we don't pay anything to go to the GP, hospitalization etc. It was much better than 20 years ago and now it's pretty bad (although it's not as bad as the Swedish healthcare).
Old Nov 18, 2022, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How much money will SAS get from the electricity consumer subsidy being rolled out by the Swedish government? Last I checked, the cost for electricity in Sweden may even have been lower last month than at the same time in 2021. But the money is to go out anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I'm pleasantly surprised the government actually does something for a change for the folks actually paying the taxes the subsidy is paid from.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if it's good or bad. If a government is handing $ out, the $ will be used to spend it on whatever = more inflation.

I still subscribe to Willys ad and the prices are crazy now compared to last year. How much does a liter of Willy's own brand "lätt" milk cost nowadays? Last year it was around 8 in Malmo. Someone told me in Gbg area it was 15 a few months back.

A lot of people are in trouble because of this, also in DK. There are more people asking for "Christmas help" and going to free grocery handouts.

In DK we pay a big deposit for all our utilities including electricity, that's why we don't have any risk of any energy company going down because people can't pay their bills. I hate that system as it made my bill super unclear and if I every sign out of them I have to try to get it back, and that deposit is calculated based on something. I'd rather they take a fixed amount - at least I know when I sign off I need to get that amount back.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:44 am
Suspended

Given cancellations and delays at ARN today and how backed up the airline service centers can be handling travelers with disrupted travel plans, it’s nice to see the SAS lounge still able to help to deal with some of these issues. Sadly for some, the ability to get airside at ARN with an already issued boarding pass dives the moment SAS cancels the flights, and then they get sent back to the airline service centers.

SAS@ARN’s prioritization for handling business class and Star Golds at the service centers seem to have room for improvement if the point is to have such travelers jump to the front of the wait to have their service receipt number called up. Can be literally faster to fix the situation online yourself and deal with SAS after getting airside and/or flying on the same or a different ticket.

Originally Posted by nacho
Not sure if it's good or bad. If a government is handing $ out, the $ will be used to spend it on whatever = more inflation.

I still subscribe to Willys ad and the prices are crazy now compared to last year. How much does a liter of Willy's own brand "lätt" milk cost nowadays? Last year it was around 8 in Malmo. Someone told me in Gbg area it was 15 a few months back.

A lot of people are in trouble because of this, also in DK. There are more people asking for "Christmas help" and going to free grocery handouts.

In DK we pay a big deposit for all our utilities including electricity, that's why we don't have any risk of any energy company going down because people can't pay their bills. I hate that system as it made my bill super unclear and if I every sign out of them I have to try to get it back, and that deposit is calculated based on something. I'd rather they take a fixed amount - at least I know when I sign off I need to get that amount back.
More inflationary pressure indeed, but the Swedish government is in the business of kissing up to the villa, Volvo and vovve crowd and wannabes of that sort, and this cash kickback is meant for that. And they are counting on inflation to subside and then act as deflationary drivers when pre-Covid supply chains are back to normal. [More immediately, they just don’t want to see their home values plummet and see a repeat of the 1990s. ]

For what it’s worth, given the changes the government seems to be making, I would reduce Sweden’s ranking as a long-term investment destination just because of that. Money will get a much better return on long term investments where the population growth — and those serving such population growth — will be over the next couple of decades: Asia and Africa. Europe still is coming to terms with there being a Germany+France inside China, and now the US intends to make India the next super-Germany from Asia. Expect insecurity levels and government conniptions to placate insecure publics to rise because of this kind of stuff.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 21, 2022 at 9:57 am
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Does anyone track the aircraft registrations of their flights? Am curious if the new SAS app is correct.

Old Dec 9, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: UA GS
Any idea of what the current menu offering is on ORD-CPH in J?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
If you can’t get enough of airport holiday charm, A Storm for Christmas may be for you.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: SK*Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
If you can’t get enough of airport holiday charm, A Storm for Christmas may be for you.
Well, being stuck at OSL is not such a horror story. Can't think of a better airport in northern Europe to be stuck at. I've actually slept in the terminal a number of times, either coming in on the last train before a 6:00 flight, or missing the last train out.

Being stuck at ARN overnight would be a horror story.

Last edited by Amexpat; Dec 21, 2022 at 7:53 am
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
OSL has a reasonable Raddisson Blu just outside the terminal. As long as you avoid the restaurant or bring the patience of the pope you'll be fine.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Amexpat
Well, being stuck at OSL is not such a horror story. Can't think of a better airport in northern Europe to be stuck at. I've actually slept in the terminal a number of times, either coming in on the last train before a 6:00 flight, or missing the last train out.

Being stuck at ARN overnight would be a horror story.
Was that land-side sleeping, or air-side sleeping at OSL? And was that sleeping in an area available for free to the general population with a flight ticket?

I’ve done my fair share and then some of sleeping at airports, but it’s been a while.

I think I found some ok air-side sleeping spots at ARN a few weeks back, but I’m surely not going to be pulling a Snowden at SVO.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: SK*Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Was that land-side sleeping, or air-side sleeping at OSL? And was that sleeping in an area available for free to the general population with a flight ticket?
I’ve done my fair share and then some of sleeping at airports, but it’s been a while.
I think I found some ok air-side sleeping spots at ARN a few weeks back, but I’m surely not going to be pulling a Snowden at SVO.
For departures, it's land-side. For a 6:00 am flight I find it less of a hassle to get to the airport with the last train, around 12:30 than take the early flytoget, which cuts it close for check in. I've always found a padded place to lay vertical. Either the couches in the restaurant or benches. I then check in at 4:00 or so and am in the lounge at 5:00.

For arrivals, I've slept in the baggage hall on one of the many padded benches if I arrive too late for the last train. It's usually only for a few hours.

No one has hassled me on either side. There's usually a lot of people sleeping land-side, my guess around 100.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
https://www.sleepinginairports.net/g...port-guide.htm

Sleeping in Oslo Gardermoen Airport

Several restaurants have leather-padded booths. Once they close for the night, you should be able to grab a spot with no hassle. Travellers mention Starbucks, Peppe’s Pizza as being sleep-friendly.
Lounge chairs with leg rests are located opposite the Exchange Office (Arrivals, Landside), only about a dozen so get there ASAP (Sleepyboi, January 2015).
If you are arriving late, one reviewer spotted full length padded benches with outlets in the International terminal, baggage claim (BEFORE going through the final customs declaration area!). This area also has clean bathrooms and a water bottle filling station. (May 2018)
Explore our guide to sleeping in Gardermoen Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
For uninterrupted sleep, there are two hotels connected to the terminal and other nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds a lot better than YYZ.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 2:56 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by DRC1985
Any idea of what the current menu offering is on ORD-CPH in J?
I can provide you the menu of EWR-OSL, however the menu didn't correspond with what was actually offered...
gojko88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.