Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2023, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
From SAS lounges? From the no-meat buffet, the undrinkable coffee, the free wifi (oh wait the entire airport has this and 5g is faster), and having to be a in a lounge with Swedes that feel important because they are in a lounge because they paid 800sek for a Plus ticket? I guess the free kanelbulle on kanelbulle day seals the meal.

I'd much rather grab a coffee and food with meat from RC. In other international airports lounges can be worthwhile visiting but not at ARN.
The alcohol. I guess the barista service at the CPH lounge can also make people feel they get some value back.

Hasn't the MC changed to status points earned based on spend which is a lot more fair and actually means increased earnings for a lot of people? The decrease is only for people with the card that pay the fee but don't spend on it with meaningful amounts.
Yes, but then you need to spread your spending to 2 cards to get the 241 from AMEX and status from SAS MC.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not sure about the Mobilia ATM thing. Maybe Swish or a card processing system was down or expected to be at risk of being down or there was some kind of other motivation to use cash and avoid forex fees. There were some brief internet connectivity outages in the region, but not sure about if that would even affect Swish and card acceptance by merchants. This month Sweden has started requiring blocking “anonymous” prepaid SIM plans when it comes to Swedish numbers, and that has a sort of staggered rollout.and maybe it interrupted Swish and/or card acceptance by small, independent retailers/vendors.

The SEK cash-accepting ATMs for Swedish bank account deposits — and the Emporia mall has one such ATM too that is a multi-bank deposit accepting ATM — provide a deposit receipt upon transaction completion; and before that, the ATMs also count the cash for the deposit and ask the depositor to confirm the SEK amount before finally “eating” the cash.
It was EVERY week. I had to wait for my kids so I camped out in Mobilia. Someone told me that it's pay day but I was wondering why they would take cash out.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Last year we had to slum it out in the ARN T5 public gate/waiting area and the experience in the evenings was disgusting. The amount of trash lying around and the dirt on surfaces is staggering. As someone who grew up in India and lives in Germany I always scratch my head about the civic sense in Sweden. And no, it wasn't the 'new' Swedes making the mess but Sven Svenson types. The only solution is to go to Pontus (who sadly closed) or far away to the F pier. Even there the beautiful seating area styled like a luggage belt was untidy and soiled.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Which is a problem I find in Copenhagen Airport as well. Seems to have grown through the pandemic, I kind of assume it is driven by a reduction of cleaning staff that has never come back. So it has probably always been an issue, prepandemic there was just enough staff around to keep the chaos at bay.
The ARN T5 lounge has on average 1,5 people cleaning and tidying it up and collecting dishes, in other lounges you see x3-5 that amount of people. Sweden has made 'new' Swedes just as expense as Svenssons and everything is understaffed. The KL Schengen lounge today had easily 10+ people at all time with another 4-5 refreshing edible food.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The ARN T5 lounge has on average 1,5 people cleaning and tidying it up and collecting dishes, in other lounges you see x3-5 that amount of people. Sweden has made 'new' Swedes just as expense as Svenssons and everything is understaffed. The KL Schengen lounge today had easily 10+ people at all time with another 4-5 refreshing edible food.
For Copenhagen i was not talking about the lounge but the airport in general. There is also a lack of sufficient speed in clearing tables in the Copenhagen lounge. But that is a whole different topic.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I think that the fundamental issue leading to both problems is the same.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
It was EVERY week. I had to wait for my kids so I camped out in Mobilia. Someone told me that it's pay day but I was wondering why they would take cash out.
Which employers in Sweden pay their employees every week? I thought that with Swedish employers it was mostly once a month for salaried employees and even for most hourly workers, except for low-paid workers with the most irregular hours and/or those working for non-Swedish employers.

If they are taking cash out via a prepaid/reloadable or other debit card managed by an employer/client with questionable finances or have questionable financial situations themselves, there could be a reason to want to draw down the balance into cash sooner than later.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:34 am
Suspended

I think that the fundamental issue leading to both problems is the same.
What is that fundamental issue as you see it? I have seen some messy lounges in the US too, including with some Amex CLs where sometimes — albeit less frequent than with the SAS lounges — used dishes littered the places for as long as I’ve seen it be the case at times at the main SAS hub airport lounges.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 3:09 am
Suspended

Swedish airports' passenger volume seems sort of stuck at about two-thirds of the 2019/pre-pandemic level. A sign of the times with the business travel recovery having stalled in Sweden, but also a sign of headwinds from the financial position of Swedish households hit by inflation -- inclusive of the more volatile food, fuel and energy prices -- and the housing market bubble's deflation. Domestic air travel demand had already started dropping back around 2018, but this hit to passenger volumes goes well beyond just domestic air travel demand. In this environment, have to wonder how the Swedish airport retailers/vendors are doing financially and what their responses will be to not having the business volumes they had previously anticipated having (or having back) by now.

It seems that the trend of annual declines in cash withdrawals from ATMs has come to a stall too in Sweden. A large part of this may be due to hoarding cash for emergencies -- as concern about Russia have risen -- but some of this may be due to other things like wanting to squirrel away assets to make them less easily accessible to debt collection efforts by the crown bailiffs.

Given the plan for a new Copenhagen Metro line that is now on course to get the necessary approvals for development, hope lives larger now that the Copenhagen Metro may eventually have one or more stop in Malmo too. Perhaps by 2035 or 2040?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:10 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Novair is winding down after 20+ years in the charter market. Flights continue through the summer season and end at the beginning of October.

Travel News reports:

Enligt Travel News källor är tanken att ĺterlämna de tvĺ flygplanen till leasingbolaget, varefter de ska tas över av SAS.
Which sounds odd. Novair has two A321neo, both of which are leased from ALC (SE-RKA and SE-RKB,
both delivered in 2017). I wouldn’t have expected SAS to be in a position to sign leases for new aircraft while in bankruptcy protection. But could these two provide a quick and easy way to grow the A321neo fleet? They need a cabin refit but could be ready for entry in service for NS24.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Novair is winding down after 20+ years in the charter market. Flights continue through the summer season and end at the beginning of October.

Travel News reports:

Which sounds odd. Novair has two A321neo, both of which are leased from ALC (SE-RKA and SE-RKB,
both delivered in 2017). I wouldn’t have expected SAS to be in a position to sign leases for new aircraft while in bankruptcy protection. But could these two provide a quick and easy way to grow the A321neo fleet? They need a cabin refit but could be ready for entry in service for NS24.
But these are not A321LR, just regular old NEO. So I can't imagine that SK would be particularly interested. Though they have brought their old A321 back to operations, but indeed probably not the time to expand the fleet.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Swedish airports' passenger volume seems sort of stuck at about two-thirds of the 2019/pre-pandemic level. A sign of the times with the business travel recovery having stalled in Sweden, but also a sign of headwinds from the financial position of Swedish households hit by inflation -- inclusive of the more volatile food, fuel and energy prices -- and the housing market bubble's deflation. Domestic air travel demand had already started dropping back around 2018, but this hit to passenger volumes goes well beyond just domestic air travel demand. In this environment, have to wonder how the Swedish airport retailers/vendors are doing financially and what their responses will be to not having the business volumes they had previously anticipated having (or having back) by now.

It seems that the trend of annual declines in cash withdrawals from ATMs has come to a stall too in Sweden. A large part of this may be due to hoarding cash for emergencies -- as concern about Russia have risen -- but some of this may be due to other things like wanting to squirrel away assets to make them less easily accessible to debt collection efforts by the crown bailiffs.

Given the plan for a new Copenhagen Metro line that is now on course to get the necessary approvals for development, hope lives larger now that the Copenhagen Metro may eventually have one or more stop in Malmo too. Perhaps by 2035 or 2040?
The decline in cash withdrawal can be a result of people using less services in general e.g. cleaning services, car repair etc. Plus the hike in interest rate might make people more incline to keep the $ on their bank accounts.

There's no way the metro is going across the top the Swedish side - if they can't even get the damn trains to work (they can't manage to get the train all the way to Helsingřr), good luck with getting the metro to work.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:37 am

What is that fundamental issue as you see it? I have seen some messy lounges in the US too, including with some Amex CLs where sometimes — albeit less frequent than with the SAS lounges — used dishes littered the places for as long as I’ve seen it be the case at times at the main SAS hub airport lounges.
The issue for not having enough staff employed in basic unskilled tasks is because said labor is to expensive for employers and as a result customers and society suffer the consequences.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:31 am

From SAS lounges? From the no-meat buffet, the undrinkable coffee, the free wifi (oh wait the entire airport has this and 5g is faster), and having to be a in a lounge with Swedes that feel important because they are in a lounge because they paid 800sek for a Plus ticket? I guess the free kanelbulle on kanelbulle day seals the meal.

I'd much rather grab a coffee and food with meat from RC. In other international airports lounges can be worthwhile visiting but not at ARN.
SAS lounges in OSL are also terrible - during peak times are unbearable.

Not to mention the food - bland is the kindest thing I can say about it.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
The issue for not having enough staff employed in basic unskilled tasks is because said labor is to expensive for employers and as a result customers and society suffer the consequences.
I read something like "Ten richest men double their fortunes in pandemic while incomes of 99 percent of humanity fall."
Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone still open non-SK PNR's on the website?
Old Feb 18, 2023, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I read something like "Ten richest men double their fortunes in pandemic while incomes of 99 percent of humanity fall."
Pretty sure said richest men aren't flying commercial and I can't see the relevance to the Swedish problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.