Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Air India, Turkish, Ethiopian and EgyptAir are keeping out of Russian airspace?
Turkish does not totally as they still actually fly to Moscow. But their Asian routes will generally not need Russian airspace. Not sure about Air India and Ethiopian, though again Ethiopian probably don't really need it, and Air India probably only really on their US flights.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:16 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Without going too omni, if the war ends with a Russian victory, there is a good chance that the sanctions will continue a good bit beyond the cessation of actual warfare. So that outcome is probably more long term for aviation that it is for end of the bloodshed.
We are probably as close as we have ever been to a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. The US military is spread very thin in the West Pacific and US munitions and military capacity are becoming depleted from supplying the Ukrainian front. If a GOP Presidency secures the White House in 2024, the odds of Beijing counting on a weak or non-existent US response are even greater. If that happens, we have many years ahead of international sanctions affecting air routes not just over Russia but also (I’d speculate) China as well.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Turkish does not totally as they still actually fly to Moscow. But their Asian routes will generally not need Russian airspace. Not sure about Air India and Ethiopian, though again Ethiopian probably don't really need it, and Air India probably only really on their US flights.
The following Star Alliance flag carrier countries seem to help Russians to get around: India, Egypt, Ethiopia, China, Thailand and Turkey.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The following Star Alliance flag carrier countries seem to help Russians to get around: India, Egypt, Ethiopia, China, Thailand and Turkey.
But nonetheless Thai Airways avoids Russia when flying to Europe. I have not checked if they restarted their DME flights but I don't think so. Just because they allow Russian flights, does not mean the airlines fly through Russian airspace.

Japan has not closed its airspace to Russian planes, and for a while JANA could utilise Russian airspace (don't know if they still can) but they chose to fly around as the complications of a diversion are actually pretty big. Getting spare parts in for a tech diversion can take months. So unless very strickly necessary, even most allowed airlines will avoid doing it.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:52 am
Suspended

Does Thai code-share with SK on any of the BKK-Europe service?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Not Star Alliance, but I have an upcoming Japan Airlines flight HND-LHR, and this article, from a year ago, describes an alterrnate route.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2030302.html
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Not Star Alliance, but I have an upcoming Japan Airlines flight HND-LHR, and this article, from a year ago, describes an alterrnate route.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2030302.html
Japan Airlines flies over the Pacific, Alaska, North of Canada, Greenland, Iceland, down to Heathrow. Initially they took the reverse of that on the Heathrow Haneda route, but now they go south around over Turkey, Aserbajdsjan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, China, Korea to Japan.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 12:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EU airlines are not allowed to touch BY/RU airspace under any circumstance. AI is keeping things clean and tries not to fly via RU/BY when going to LHR/CPH/VIE/FRA, but for their US flights they have to fly via RU. CA doesn't care and flies right thru whatever suits them. TG/SQ/NH could use RU airspace but are careful.
gojko88 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Not sure how they fly to NRT/ICN/PEK/PVG these days. I flew with them to NRT and it flew over Russia (not inside Chinese airspace at all), Korea (almost in North Korea) and then onto Narita in 2015. To TPE they flew north into Russian airspace, and then Chinese airspace through HKG to TPE (2018). To KUL they don't use the Russian airspace at all - they used their own and then Iran, Pakistan and India and cross the Indian ocean and arrive at KUL.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 2:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
EU airlines are not allowed to touch BY/RU airspace under any circumstance. AI is keeping things clean and tries not to fly via RU/BY when going to LHR/CPH/VIE/FRA, but for their US flights they have to fly via RU. CA doesn't care and flies right thru whatever suits them. TG/SQ/NH could use RU airspace but are careful.
Is there a difference in routing between AI's YYZ-DEL/DEL-YYZ flights and AC's YYZ-DEL/DEL-YYZ flights.

AC's LHR-BOM last month was the cheapest one-way flight ticket between Western Europe and India that I had seen in quite some time on a legacy major.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 5:39 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
AI uses Russian Airspace while AC avoids it. Not really a choice regardless of routing and since they both fly 777-300ERs would pick AC hands down any day over AI.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
We are probably as close as we have ever been to a Chinese invasion of Taiwan. The US military is spread very thin in the West Pacific and US munitions and military capacity are becoming depleted from supplying the Ukrainian front. If a GOP Presidency secures the White House in 2024, the odds of Beijing counting on a weak or non-existent US response are even greater. If that happens, we have many years ahead of international sanctions affecting air routes not just over Russia but also (I’d speculate) China as well.
I would also add that in the hypothetical scenario in which China escalates it with Taiwan, flying would be the least of our worries.
SK2751 and Nick Art like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:06 am

I’m getting an “http status error [504]” error in the SAS app at this time.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
I’m getting an “http status error [504]” error in the SAS app at this time.
What are you trying to do?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 2:56 am

What are you trying to do?
Loading my trips. Maybe it was just too many for SAS to handle! Fortunately it’s fine now a few hours later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.