Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by helosc
Well, I get my breakfast for free in the big chain I stay in (Hilton) - if not, I probably wouldn't want to pay for it.
Breakfast always seems to be free in Sweden at all the Nordic Choice, Scandic, and Best Western hotels. It's just Radisson, Hilton, Marriotts and SPG properties here that would commonly try to hit up most guests to pay for breakfast.

What about First and Elite hotels? Don't they always include breakfast in Sweden too?

I'm more surprised if I'm asked to pay for breakfast at hotels in Sweden than if it's included.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Breakfast always seems to be free in Sweden at all the Nordic Choice, Scandic, and Best Western hotels. It's just Radisson, Hilton, Marriotts and SPG properties here that would commonly try to hit up most guests to pay for breakfast.

What about First and Elite hotels? Don't they always include breakfast in Sweden too?

I'm more surprised if I'm asked to pay for breakfast at hotels in Sweden than if it's included.
Yes, I think breakfast is also for free in Elite hotels.
I haven't stayed much in Sweden for the last few years and when abroad almost exclusively in Hiltons (partly because I like their hotels and partly because I want to maintain my status - I like upgrades and lounges).
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Breakfast is also free in Elite hotels.

Despite the free breakfast, the only available choice in the Nordics always seems to be the poor buffets and no ala carte. Always been disappointed with major chains like Hilton and Sheraton not offering that in their expensive Stockholm hotels. And of course it is not possible to opt-out of the breakfast, you pay for it anyway.

Very strange mindset.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Scandic includes breakfast in Scandinavia too.

Radissons includes breakfast in Odense, Park Inn Malmo includes breakfast too. Not sure if it's a standard in Scandinavia but these are the hotels I have stayed at and got free breakfast.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:16 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
With the exception of American chain hotels with a minuscle market share (Hilton, Marriott, Sheraton) I think that it would be reasonable to expect breakfast to be included in Scandinavia. Radisson does have some non-breakfast rates, but the local market does consider breakfast to be essential and thus included. I certainly would presume that any rate that doesn't include breakfast to have this fact stated clearly. FWIW the Norwegian government in its travel reimbursement policy (commonly used by private companies as well) takes as its default setting that breakfast is included in domestic hotel rates.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:24 pm

Radisson Blu OSL har stopped offering free breakfast. This is probably a first for me in Norway, and at one of the most expensive hotels in the country.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by view
Radisson Blu OSL har stopped offering free breakfast. This is probably a first for me in Norway, and at one of the most expensive hotels in the country.
I am not sure how new that is. But some Radissons in Copenhagen and Stockholm haven't been including breakfast for all guests for years and years. I thought this no-breakfast-included wasn't new at OSL, but I've been using the Park Inn OSL way more and had breakfast included there always. Actually, breakfast was one of the reasons I shifted to the Park Inn OSL and away from the Radisson OSL.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
Scandic includes breakfast in Scandinavia too.

Radissons includes breakfast in Odense, Park Inn Malmo includes breakfast too. Not sure if it's a standard in Scandinavia but these are the hotels I have stayed at and got free breakfast.
Park Inn in Scandinavia have breakfast included as a brand standard IIRC. RadissonBlu hotels in Scandinavia don't, even as many do offer it.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:50 am

I am not sure how new that is. But some Radissons in Copenhagen and Stockholm haven't been including breakfast for all guests for years and years. I thought this no-breakfast-included wasn't new at OSL, but I've been using the Park Inn OSL way more and had breakfast included there always. Actually, breakfast was one of the reasons I shifted to the Park Inn OSL and away from the Radisson OSL.
To be honest I haven´t stayed yet this year, but last year and the 10 years before that I always got free breakfast (it was included for everyone), so at least somewhat new and a shift in strategy in Norway at least.

I recall Radisson Blu Scandinavia in CPH breakfast cost 150,- DKK at least 12-15 years back, the first time I stayed there.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:27 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I rarely stay at Radisson Blus nowadays. They don't have any relevant corporate deals for me, and after they stopped giving Basic Points in EuroBonus (being for some years the only way of earning Basic Points on domestic travel in Norway) that extra incentive to use them doesn't exist anymore. The last few times I have stayed at Radisson Blus I have used EuroBonus points, where breakfast is included in the offer.

The provincial Radisson Blus seem to confirm to standard Norwegian hotel practise though. The Ĺlesund property includes breakfast with all rates (as do all other hotels there), unlike the OSL.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by ksu
The provincial Radisson Blus seem to confirm to standard Norwegian hotel practise though. The Ĺlesund property includes breakfast with all rates (as do all other hotels there), unlike the OSL.
The OUL Radisson Blu does not always include breakfast, depending on the sales channel... so it is not just Norway.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:36 am
Suspended

Can we stop talking about "free" breakfast? Among especially this group of people, I'd expect a slightly better understanding of market economics.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Can we stop talking about "free" breakfast? Among especially this group of people, I'd expect a slightly better understanding of market economics.
As the hotels often market included breakfast for all their hotel guests as "free" breakfast, a colloquial reference to it as free says nothing about the level of understanding of market economics. Much the same as hotels and the "free wifi" internet. This all is not just a sign of how powerful the language of marketing can be, so that isn't it either.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:49 am

As the hotels often market included breakfast for all their hotel guests as "free" breakfast, a colloquial reference to it as free says nothing about the level of understanding of market economics. Much the same as hotels and the "free wifi" internet. This all is not just a sign of how powerful the language of marketing can be, so that isn't it either.
Indeed, well put.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:01 am
Suspended

Right, and well put - I just wanted to clarify for non-Scandinavians like you who might not know the system here. Thanks for chiming in though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.