Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Topcashback.com works well enough. Some other cash back portals work better from time to time.

You sign up for a cash back portal account; and then after signing up and into a cash back portal account, you do a search for hotels.com and click on the links on the cashback site -- a link that forwards you to hotels.com itself. Then you buy as usual. Some weeks after the transaction, hotels.com credits your cash back portal account with the rebate amount. Then you go to your cashbback portal account and have the funds electronically transferred out to a bank account, Amazon, PayPal or something like that. With some cash back portal sites, they send a physical check for bank deposit -- so very unScandinavian.
Some Swedes tried to do the same but it doesn't work - they have cashback for some OTAs, if I go in through them my fare ended up 500:- more than if I go through momondo.se - and they only give me 50:- cash back per booking. As for other sites, US cashback portals pay much better, so I gave up.

I use German cashback portal for shopping in Germany - they work pretty well but if it doesn't track then you are SOL, again not the same class as the US portals.

Use cashbackholics.com to search for the latest cashback rates.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I have just completed my first for fun/points multi-segment Plus trip:
CPH-ARN-DUB + DUB-ARN-CPH.

It went very well and 7 days into my new qualification year, I have already earned 5630 points.

And I just now received my suitcase, delivered to my home address - it didn't make the last 50 min connection in ARN.
Very painless procedure: reported it in the airport (not much waiting time due to the differenciated number buttons - economy, Plus, Gold) got phone call later in the evening about delivery and received today.
The woman at the desk didn't seem very surprised that my luggage didn't make the connection so I'll keep in mind for the future that I'll need longer connection time if I want my luggage to fly with me or only carry hand luggage.

I booked special meals (seafood/fish) for the two longer flights - and I was very happy with them.
I found the quality to be very good compared to the regular meals and it was very fresh (something which I'm not always sure is the case of the normal meals).
Will definitely book this for future flights.
But a word of caution - only book it if you like smoked salmon (cold-smoked).

Two courses:
Outbound was smoked salmon as a starter and smoked salmon and seafood salad as mains.
Homebound was smoked salmon and egg salad as mains and fruit salad as dessert.
Both times there was a small packet of Becel (butter substitute much loved by Swedes, hated by me) but NO bread.
I had foreseen the Becel issue as I was flying in and out of ARN so I took a packet of proper butter in the lounges in CPH and in DUB.
I had not foreseen the lack of bread though - I'll be prepared in the future.
Outbound they had some rolls from breakfast left over and homebound they opened a packet of the normal food to give me the slice of bread.

I enjoyed the yellow, organic butter served with breakfast.
The new sparkling wine is better than the previously offered one, in my opinion but sadly not served intra-Scandinavia.
And they now have salted, roasted almonds on board - much appreciated.

The lounge in DUB is not very good. They have soft drinks, beer, wine, and a few spirit choices but their food offerings were rubbish (a few slices of bread, butter, a few cookies and cakes).
I like the morning food offerings in the CPH lounge, mainly because I never buy the buns (rundstykker) myself so I look forward to my morning flights out of CPH.
And I am very pleased that they have Pukka tea.
I don't care for the breakfast in ARN, solely due to the lack of butter.
They have a nice selection of spirits though later in the day.

Nice service on all flights, friendly staff.

And I saw a Pandion in ARN.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The plus meal on short haul certainly sounds nicer than Go long haul SFML. I got a vegetarian dish with black (not fresh mushrooms) and spinach pasta. Then on the way back it was salmon (but so dried that is inedible).

I hate Pukka tea - I just want plain black tea and their English breakfast tea tasted of herbs - I used it to make hot lemon tea.

If anything the wienerbroed is the best during the breakfast time. The lounge bread is pretty nice - than again - Danish bread and pastries are just amazing but I'm not willing to pay the premium for it.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by helosc
I booked special meals (seafood/fish) for the two longer flights - and I was very happy with them.
I found the quality to be very good compared to the regular meals and it was very fresh (something which I'm not always sure is the case of the normal meals).
Will definitely book this for future flights.
But a word of caution - only book it if you like smoked salmon (cold-smoked).
Good to see a recent experience with pre-ordered meals. Unfortunately you ended up with the f'ing Salmon, my most recent seafood pre-order option had another white fish (I forgot to note the name). Had the same experience about that it was fresher. The regular boxes actually include preparation and expiration dates on them which provides relevant clues as to why they are so disgusting.

The lounge in DUB is not very good.
That's a strong understatement, the DUB lounge that SK is using is terrible.

And I saw a Pandion in ARN.
Interesting, the feedback on Pandion selection for this year has been very minimal. Anyone on here that was awarded Pandion for the first time in 2016?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
And they now have salted, roasted almonds on board - much appreciated.
These almonds are indeed excellent (a FA talked me into trying them 2 days ago). Go very well with Mikkeller :P but probably just as well with a bubbly.

For the posteriority: AFAIR what you called butter from CPH lounge was not butter. I think it is a margarine-butter mix (at least this is what they sell in DK under this brand - I have not checked the packet).
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by wazow
For the posteriority: AFAIR what you called butter from CPH lounge was not butter. I think it is a margarine-butter mix (at least this is what they sell in DK under this brand - I have not checked the packet).
OT, but I still do not understand why it's common in canteens in the Nordic countries to only offer margarine or these blended products.

Onboard I can understand why they're issued with VGMLs but I've had Keiju with standard AY meals a couple of times too.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by wazow
These almonds are indeed excellent (a FA talked me into trying them 2 days ago). Go very well with Mikkeller :P but probably just as well with a bubbly.

Yes, the almonds go down a treat with a bubbly.....

Bakkedal sells both a mix product and real butter in the shops in DK (not my favorite butter but at least it's butter):
http://bakkedal.info/produkter-bakke...moer-200g.aspx

If the packet says butter (smřr) it has to be proper butter, the mix products are not allowed to label themselves as butter.

I'll have a good, hard look at the package next time I'm in the CPH lounge to see which it is - it better be butter......
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by klmml
OT, but I still do not understand why it's common in canteens in the Nordic countries to only offer margarine or these blended products.

Onboard I can understand why they're issued with VGMLs but I've had Keiju with standard AY meals a couple of times too.
It's mainly Sweden that is the culprit - many hotels also don't serve butter for breakfast.
And it is common because the mix products are considered healthier.
The butter served on board flying out of CPH (at least for breakfast) is real butter and a good one too.

Now we have two butter threads.....
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
It's mainly Sweden that is the culprit - many hotels also don't serve butter for breakfast.
And it is common because the mix products are considered healthier.
The butter served on board flying out of CPH (at least for breakfast) is real butter and a good one too.

Now we have two butter threads.....
While we are on the topic of butter, since about six months ago, SK have switched to Lurpak in the HEL lounge, instead of good old kotimainen Valio. I'm not sure I understand why - perhaps they are centralising procurement, but indeed the butter in the CPH lounge is different (as discussed in the other thread).
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Swedish grocery stores have insanely wide varieties of dairy products compared to comparably sized stores in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if this is also the case for butter and margarine type spreads, and so perhaps they do offer what you seek -- at least at grocery stores.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:03 am

I'm not sure I understand why.
I think it is safe to say: Because it is cheaper.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:07 am

The shops may sell it but hotels, lounges, and cantines (as mentioned earlier) often choose not to serve it and it is infuriating.
I remember staying a lot in Elite hotels in Sweden and while everyone else was gorging themselves on sausages, bacon and what have you for breakfast, I couldn't have real butter for my humble slice of bread with cheese....
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:48 am

The shops may sell it but hotels, lounges, and cantines (as mentioned earlier) often choose not to serve it and it is infuriating.
I remember staying a lot in Elite hotels in Sweden and while everyone else was gorging themselves on sausages, bacon and what have you for breakfast, I couldn't have real butter for my humble slice of bread with cheese....
I never understood the obsession with super rich (and heart-stopping fatty) breakfasts anyway. I'm okay with a croissant, some fruits and a good strong coffee. Only times I can enjoy a breakfast like that is on my first few days in the US if my stomach is still on European time. That's also the reason why I hate those 30€ all inclusive breakfast in the big chain hotels. I don't want to pay 30€ for a croissant, some fruits and a coffee
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by fassy
I never understood the obsession with super rich (and heart-stopping fatty) breakfasts anyway. I'm okay with a croissant, some fruits and a good strong coffee. Only times I can enjoy a breakfast like that is on my first few days in the US if my stomach is still on European time. That's also the reason why I hate those 30€ all inclusive breakfast in the big chain hotels. I don't want to pay 30€ for a croissant, some fruits and a coffee
Well, I get my breakfast for free in the big chain I stay in (Hilton) - if not, I probably wouldn't want to pay for it.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:01 am

Well, I get my breakfast for free in the big chain I stay in (Hilton) - if not, I probably wouldn't want to pay for it.
Only reason I hold the HHonors credit card. Still for Marriott and Club Carlson (where I also get free breakfast due to the Concierge level I reached with over 70 stays a year, but then they only comp the breakfast for the card holder and not even for a companion ) it is quite tough. Recently I saw a RB that they charged 35€ for a breakfast, that is just robbery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.