Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
the need for compensation for say pilots being tied to company performance.
Pilots can't affect company performance so it makes no sense for their salaries to be tied to it. It's not like they could affect the flawed (to put it mildly) strategy SK management has been pursuing for the last decade or so..
ksu, RoyalSwazi and dark_phoenix like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
SAS-piloter går i strejke: Påvirker tusindvis af danskeres ferie

Omkring 1000 SAS-piloter fra Danmark, Norge og Sverige går i strejke.
Det sker efter flere mislykkes forsøg den seneste tid på at nå til enighed mellem piloterne og SAS, oplyser SAS' topchef, Anko van der Werff, på et pressemøde.
Piloterne er ansat i SAS moderselskab, SAS Scandinavia og havde varslet strejke på grund af utilfredshed med deres løn- og arbejdsbetingelser i SAS.
- Det er en dårlig dag for piloterne og en virkelig dårlig dag for SAS.
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/sas-...anskeres-ferie
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by the810
Pilots can't affect company performance so it makes no sense for their salaries to be tied to it. It's not like they could affect the flawed (to put it mildly) strategy SK management has been pursuing for the last decade or so..
But you can't pay people wages from revenue that doesn't exist. So if wages push the balance sheet in the red, your company goes south. Tying your highest staff cost to revenue makes sense for general business health and survival, regardless of their ability to influence performance. Many companies pay employees in part in stock where those employees can do nothing to influence the stock price, general economy or market sentiment.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

Latest Updates

Page updated 2022-07-04 12:45:02 CET

Traffic disruptions due to Pilot strike

Unfortunately SAS and the Pilot unions did not reach an agreement and the strike is now a fact.

We’re sorry if you’re affected by the pilot strike leading to delays and canceled flights.

SAS is striving to reach a solution as quickly as possible to prevent additional inconveniences for travelers.

Flights NOT affected by the pilot strike

Flights operated by SAS Link, SAS Connect and our wetlease partners (Air Baltic (BT), CityJet (WX), XFLY (EE) are not affected by a strike, see if your flight is affected before traveling to the airport - Flight status

If your flight is canceled

We’re sorry that your journey has been disrupted by the ongoing strike. We’re doing everything we can to help you with your trip, a rebooking process starts immediately, and we will get back to you by SMS and email with information as soon as possible.

However, during summer season, there are limited available seats on the market. This means that we unfortunately will have limited possibilities to find a new seat within the same time frame as your current booking.

If we are able to rebook you to alternative flights, you will receive SMS with information about the new itinerary. If we are not able to rebook you, you will receive SMS with more information. The process with finding alternative for you can take up to a few hours.

To keep you informed regarding your flight, we need your contact details. Please visit manage my bookings to ensure that your contact details are correct. If they are not, please update them online. This applies to all bookings except for charter flights.

If your flight is canceled and you don't wish to travel you can cancel and refund your ticket via My bookings.

Please do not travel to the airport if you don’t have a confirmed reservation.
Tomas E likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
I started a new thread for the strike, since this thread is about negotiations, which no longer are taking place.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-...ly-2022-a.html
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
But you can't pay people wages from revenue that doesn't exist. So if wages push the balance sheet in the red, your company goes south. Tying your highest staff cost to revenue makes sense for general business health and survival, regardless of their ability to influence performance. Many companies pay employees in part in stock where those employees can do nothing to influence the stock price, general economy or market sentiment.
It's management's job to find balance between costs and revenues. I'm not saying that current wage levels should be kept, but it's absurd to have your living depend on something you can't affect.
dark_phoenix likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:42 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by the810
It's management's job to find balance between costs and revenues. I'm not saying that current wage levels should be kept, but it's absurd to have your living depend on something you can't affect.
Pilots need 15-20% of their salary to pay for basic living, the rest is just upping living standards. Which is fine if the company's results are there to pay them, variable success based compensation is a great tool to reward in times of success and not bottom out in times of less favorable results. Your argument isn't wrong for say cleaners or trash collectors but it doesn't apply to pilots. Of course management in face of unions can't reduce wages when revenues go down unlike in other countries so management can't control that balance either, again over the same one-sided power issue that unions have. Though under Swedish law companies can fire people over reduced results.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Various
Pilots need 15-20% of their salary to pay for basic living, the rest is just upping living standards.
I see you've started assimilating to Swedish jante standards.

Pilot salaries are high across the board and that's just how it is. Don't be jealous, maybe you can find a well paying job too.

I see that the hive mind over at Businessclass.se wants to get rid of the pilots and find new ones. Well, that's what SAS are doing and this is the result.

Btw, I was wrong because I didn't think there would be a strike. I should have understeood when I saw the face of SAS negotiator yesterday.
GUWonder and dark_phoenix like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
An old link about SK and their crews after the 2012 crisis.
https://www.berlingske.dk/virksomhed...g-de-andre-aag
dark_phoenix and Tomas E like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
In retrospect it was a mistake to save SAS in 2012 But here we are...
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:54 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Pilots need 15-20% of their salary to pay for basic living, the rest is just upping living standards. Which is fine if the company's results are there to pay them, variable success based compensation is a great tool to reward in times of success and not bottom out in times of less favorable results. Your argument isn't wrong for say cleaners or trash collectors but it doesn't apply to pilots. Of course management in face of unions can't reduce wages when revenues go down unlike in other countries so management can't control that balance either, again over the same one-sided power issue that unions have. Though under Swedish law companies can fire people over reduced results.
Starting salaries for pilots in Norway is around NOK 500.000/year. This is very close to the Norwegian average. Maximum airline salary for a Norwegian airline is usually quoted as being up to 1,5 mill NOK. You might *just* be able to pay for your basic living on NOK 300.000 a year in Oslo. You will not be able to do so for NOK 100.000 as you claim, unless you are camping on the lawn near the terminal at OSL.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Very interesting reading! A slightly different perspective than what I remember having read in Swedish (business) media.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have my suspicions that SAS management had planned to torpedo the situation with a bankruptcy filing regardless of whatever the SAS pilots would agree to and do. In other words, that would mean SAS management wanted to file for bankruptcy — using very high priced lawyers in the US — and the pilots were just pawns to be played.
dark_phoenix likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Finally the SAS management has the balls to tackle the unions head on. This situation needed resolution, curious how it will pan out.
FlyingMoose likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Finally the SAS management has the balls to tackle the unions head on. This situation needed resolution, curious how it will pan out.
SAS management has what? They have no real skin in the game compared to the other stakeholders, and so this is the easy way for management.
dark_phoenix likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.