Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by off2rome
Some good news!
I’m more in the camp of preferring the strike happen sooner than later and have it finish up sooner than later. If it is to go ahead and happen anyway.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
So far all Norway has said is that they are willing to convert 1.5 billion NOK from debt to equity, but they are not willing to invest more, or hold this as a long term investment.
Even that public stance gives the airline some more breathing room. Doesn’t it seem to you too that the big 3 Scandinavian governments are even less willing now than six months ago to let SAS go poof and become dust in the wind?

Time will tell the public more about what else Norway is willing to do.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:43 pm

Why has SAS made no formal announcement?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I’m more in the camp of preferring the strike happen sooner than later and have it finish up sooner than later. If it is to go ahead and happen anyway.
This is entirely a function of if / when you hold a ticket.

I have a flight on 6/30, two families on separate PNRs, and stuff I want to do on 7/1. So this good news for me!
Schultzois likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Barciur
Negotiations between the SAS/SK pilots and SAS have been concluded for today, but the parties have decided to continue talks another 72 hours. The strike is thus postponed until 2 July 2022 at 00:01, unless otherwise agreed.

https://twitter.com/SvenskPilot/stat...16706632777732
It does make you wonder that the union hashtags Swedish politics in this tweet, there is no political topic in it. Unless the union wants to inspire the Swedish parliament to come riding in on white unicorns to save their members already living in abject poverty from certain economic ruin.
Tomas E likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by threeoh
This is entirely a function of if / when you hold a ticket.

I have a flight on 6/30, two families on separate PNRs, and stuff I want to do on 7/1. So this good news for me!
I hear you on that.

In my case it’s a function of finding that more parties and the general public benefit more when clarity of outcome comes around sooner than later. IOW, I think it’s more of a general disadvantage for the SAS and general traveling public to have a dark cloud hovering overhead or on the horizon for a longer period of time because of extended negotiations with a doubtful outcome.
threeoh likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by off2rome
Why has SAS made no formal announcement?
They did

https://www.sasgroup.net/newsroom/pr...nged-72-hours/
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Who among us is on the most SAS flights these 72 hours?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Even that public stance gives the airline some more breathing room. Doesn’t it seem to you too that the big 3 Scandinavian governments are even less willing now than six months ago to let SAS go poof and become dust in the wind?

Time will tell the public more about what else Norway is willing to do.
I think the Danish government is reluctant to let SK go belly up, but I feel that the Swedish and Norwegian government are more willing to roll the dice on it.

In some ways, it is not healthy for the negotiations with the employess if the governments make it clear that they will save the pieces. We get a new Alitalia where no one is willing to change as they know it has no consequences to keep trodding down the same path.....
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by the810
What is the precedence for airlines in an alliance going bankrupt when it comes to FFP. Obviously, if SK stops paying, we won't get status benefits, but is there usually some status match opportunity?

I won't go as far as hoping for turning my EBG into SEN, but perhaps A3 (which has been handing out status like there's no tomorrow for years) could pitch in?
This is really unclear, and depends on many factors. I went through AB bankruptcy as AB Emerald. There were some very limited offers for German residents and nothing interesting besides that. OTOH Scandinavia is a bit different, as there is no other full service (whatever that means) airline in the area covering it to a comparable extend. In case of AB, LH probably felt, that the customers have little options but to go to them, and not much effort is needed. Scandinavia might be a bit more attractive, but I would not get my hope too high.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK2751
This is really unclear, and depends on many factors. I went through AB bankruptcy as AB Emerald. There were some very limited offers for German residents and nothing interesting besides that. OTOH Scandinavia is a bit different, as there is no other full service (whatever that means) airline in the area covering it to a comparable extend. In case of AB, LH probably felt, that the customers have little options but to go to them, and not much effort is needed. Scandinavia might be a bit more attractive, but I would not get my hope too high.
When Ansett Australia went bankrupt (I know many years ago but there are not that many full scale bankruptcies, more normal that the airline is absorbed in to another) issued award tickets were kept, and there were a number of status match offers, but miles were lost and status benefits were quite quickly ended if not taking/getting a status match.

Spanair was another full bankruptcy, but I don't remember if they in their divorce flow from SK managed to move beyond Eurobonus and get their own program.

If SK fails, I would imagine their would be a lot of players trying to fill the gap, both in terms of flights and FFP program. Status matches and issued tickets should all be good, but mileage balances would likely be dead....
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It does make you wonder that the union hashtags Swedish politics in this tweet, there is no political topic in it. Unless the union wants to inspire the Swedish parliament to come riding in on white unicorns to save their members already living in abject poverty from certain economic ruin.
For a long time, they seem to have been living on a different planet than the rest of us when it comes to understanding the relationship between Swedish politicians (in particular the government) and an employer. They've called for - and seem to expect - the Swedish government to intervene in the running of SAS in a way that they don't in their own government agencies, where an arm's length policy applies to the employer function. And this on the basis of a 21.8% ownership of a public company?
At the same time they've also stated in their FB entries that SAS management has been wrong to ask for money from the Swedish taxpayers. So somehow SAS should have paid higher salaries, required fewer hours of their pilots, not set up any "low cost operations", not taken any new capital or emergency loans, and then somehow still existed?! For example, they have no explanation how SAS would then have avoided bankruptcy in 2020.
I have some problems taking anything they say seriously. It seems to me that they are completely unable to read an annual report and do some basic maths but still claim that they know much better than management how to run the company.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Tomas E
I have some problems taking anything they say seriously. It seems to me that they are completely unable to read an annual report and do some basic maths but still claim that they know much better than management how to run the company.
That's called entitlement.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, former AA Platinum
Just found out about this potential strike while looking into our upcoming flights to confirm timing. We are flying 7/2 from LAX to CPH which is in the most precarious spot possible. Looking now to see if we can move that flight to 7/1. When do you all think we might know if there is a strke?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
It appears there could be another postponement.

Forhandlingerne kører efter de norske regler, og derfor vil man godt kunne udsætte endnu længere end lørdag, hvis man fortsat vurderer en mulighed for enighed.
https://www.berlingske.dk/virksomhed...handlinger-kan
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by fatesandfuries
Just found out about this potential strike while looking into our upcoming flights to confirm timing. We are flying 7/2 from LAX to CPH which is in the most precarious spot possible. Looking now to see if we can move that flight to 7/1. When do you all think we might know if there is a strke?
If you can move it to 7/1 easily, I would. They probably won't announce anything until around midnight Europe time on 7/2 (so evening/afternoon 7/1 in LA). If the strike is on, I'll imagine their rebooking process will be slammed, could be several days before you could get out. Or take the refund + EUR 600 and buy your own ticket.

If you can find a reasonable refundable or mileage ticket on another airline as a backup (and cancel if the strike is averted), that's another option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.