Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by ckx2
So if I'm one a codeshare flight operated by SAS I'm out of luck?
:S
Right now a strike seems likely but it is still not certain. If your flight is in the near future you could check their flight status page, which now has information about which flights are likely to be cancelled in the event of a strike.
https://www.flysas.com/travel/flight...ion=&ssm=true&
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by ckx2
Booked on SK605 on July 1st (LX Codeshare) which as of right now is "Likely to be canceled if strike occurs"
Ah, you found the info while I was writing my reply. Be on the lookout for news 27 or 28 June. News could for example include a couple of days' delay to the strike.
ckx2 and Jonathankamp like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: LH HON
Ready to F5 the heck out of anything. There's an actual LX flight departing a bit earlier. If there is a strike, I'll see if Swiss can get me on that one.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tomas E
Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic here, but I get the impression that the pilot union wants SAS to roll back much of the change that has already happened and is ongoing with Connect, Link (and possibly also the additional volume of wet leases). I don't really think that SAS could agree to a freeze at the current level if X is more than 1 year or so, and any X > 0 may set a precedent they don't want to give the pilot union. Otherwise they would reasonably reduce the potential pool of new investors, since some of the elements of the corporate strategy would be locked in for a couple of years.

If the strike goes ahead on Wednesday, or a few days later after a delay initiated by the mediators (and accepted by the pilot union to show good will), I think we should keep our eyes open for new announcements from SAS regarding changes to SAS Forward, in order to achieve even greater savings. If there isn't already an alternative "nastier" plan with 0 pilots left in SAS Scandinavia (or SAS Scandinavia divested off after assets have moved to another part of the group), I'd be surprised. I consider myself a much nicer person that most management consultants, and even I have thought of this possibility. So I would expect such announcements to come very quickly after the strike starts, if it is meant to pressure the pilot union.
In principle, we could also look for the Danish and Swedish governments to change their previous position on loans (SE & DK) and new capital (DK), but this seems unlikely while a strike is ongoing. I don't think social democratic governments wants to bee seen interferingng in an ongoing labour conflict (and it's close to the next election in Sweden), no matter what they actually think as owners.
Again, I don't know the Swedish flow, but in Denmark the flow of delaying the strike is usually 14 days with option for another 14. The parties in the mediation does not have to accept that, it is fully within the rights and means of the mediator.

I agree that the employees should not have the right to veto management strategy. If they want that, buy enough shares and then they have the right to change management. But the compromise will need some unpalatable things on either side that can been seen as a victory on the opposing side.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Again, I don't know the Swedish flow, but in Denmark the flow of delaying the strike is usually 14 days with option for another 14. The parties in the mediation does not have to accept that, it is fully within the rights and means of the mediator.
As I mentioned, not much comparison from the last couple of years to go on, but I'd say a strike in Sweden is "until further notice" rather than automatically time-limited. In the past, I know of strikes that have been for certain days only, but there was no indication of this when the pilot union announced their upcoming strike.

I agree that the employees should not have the right to veto management strategy. If they want that, buy enough shares and then they have the right to change management.
AFAIK, the Swedish government's 21.8% stake in SAS should be for sale to the right buyer.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tomas E
As I mentioned, not much comparison from the last couple of years to go on, but I'd say a strike in Sweden is "until further notice" rather than automatically time-limited. In the past, I know of strikes that have been for certain days only, but there was no indication of this when the pilot union announced their upcoming strike.

AFAIK, the Swedish government's 21.8% stake in SAS should be for sale to the right buyer.
It is, but they'd some other big voting blocks to join their cause in order to be successful in kicking out the current management. Or find some other blocks to acquire. There is quite a bargain on the stock at the moment.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:46 pm

There is quite a bargain on the stock at the moment.
I'm going a bit OT here, but any assessment if 0.64 SEK per share (market cap about 4.65 bn SEK) is a bargain or not would have to consider the enormous dilution of equity that would go with 29.5 billion SEK of new capital (including the conversion of loans to share equity) under SAS Forward. The current shares are unlikely to correspond to more than around 10% of the new number of shares if the plan is implemented. There's been a lot of short trading in the SAS share, i.e., a lot of professional investors expect it to go down further.

Last edited by Tomas E; Jun 27, 2022 at 1:31 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It seems that the SK flights I was most likely to use this summer — EWR, IAD, ORD, SFO and YYZ — are among those flights that SAS says will likely be hit with this anticipated strike.

And given the other anticipated strike-driven cancellations for intra-Scandinavia flights, even if rerouted to the SAS hubs, there is going to be the issue of how to continue onwards since much of the remaining decent train space there could get used up fast.

It is, but they'd some other big voting blocks to join their cause in order to be successful in kicking out the current management. Or find some other blocks to acquire. There is quite a bargain on the stock at the moment.
Even if any of the friendly neighborhood Danish billionaires were to whimsically gift me a billion DKK, I wouldn’t even consider using any of it to load up on SK shares. Would you?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 26, 2022 at 6:45 pm
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It seems that the SK flights I was most likely to use this summer — EWR, IAD, ORD, SFO and YYZ — are among those flights that SAS says will likely be hit with this anticipated strike.

And given the other anticipated strike-driven cancellations for intra-Scandinavia flights, even if rerouted to the SAS hubs, there is going to be the issue of how to continue onwards since much of the remaining decent train space there could get used up fast.

Even if any of the friendly neighborhood Danish billionaires were to whimsically gift me a billion DKK, I wouldn’t even consider using any of it to load up on SK shares. Would you?
No, I am not in the market to burn my free cash....
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No, I am not in the market to burn my free cash....
But if you were in the market to burn free cash, you could find SAS and its pilots useful to have set up things for quickly putting on the bonfire that cash burning a hole in your pocket/purse/wallet.

If the company management and its pilots didn’t think that SAS had any recourse to government financial backstops, the behavior of the involved parties would possibly be very different.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:15 am

Programs: EBG
Hows the strike going BTW? any news apart from the very little that is posted on the SAS web site that it might happen on Wednesday ....
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nussle
Hows the strike going BTW? any news apart from the very little that is posted on the SAS web site that it might happen on Wednesday ....
Wednesday is the first possible day. I would expect the mediator to make a statement today on whether the strike is postponed. But maybe the keep the cards close to the chest until tomorrow evening Scandinavian time....

If it is only announced late tomorrow for a postponement, there will probably be some cancellations anyway, as they would probably need to be announced, planned, and managed....

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jun 27, 2022 at 2:01 am
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:13 am

Programs: LH HON
Fingers crossed :/
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
100% of SAS long haul flights will be affected if there is a strike, since all of them are operated by SAS Scandinavia aka "SAS mainline" (which will be on strike) and not SAS Connect, SAS Link or wet lease companies (which will not be on strike).

Last edited by Tomas E; Jun 27, 2022 at 8:44 am Reason: Wrong word!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Seems that Norway does not allow for an actual postponement of the strike by the mediator. But there are options to agree to let the negotiations continue without a strike.

And not too optimistic reading....
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/penge/uret...t-fra-hinanden

​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.