Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
wrong thread

Last edited by bioyuki; Jun 29, 2022 at 1:40 pm Reason: wrong thread
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, former AA Platinum
Originally Posted by threeoh
If you can move it to 7/1 easily, I would. They probably won't announce anything until around midnight Europe time on 7/2 (so evening/afternoon 7/1 in LA). If the strike is on, I'll imagine their rebooking process will be slammed, could be several days before you could get out. Or take the refund + EUR 600 and buy your own ticket.

If you can find a reasonable refundable or mileage ticket on another airline as a backup (and cancel if the strike is averted), that's another option.
Not easily, but we'll try. Another flight will be tough since we're flying with an infant and got a great deal on J seats, so I guess we'll cross our fingers and hope for the best.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by vanillabean
It appears there could be another postponement. https://www.berlingske.dk/virksomhed...handlinger-kan
So could this be true?:

"SAS strike has been postponed until Saturday - but "complex" negotiations could drag the pain even further

While the travelers have to hold their breath, the SAS pilots' strike has so far been postponed until Saturday. However, if the parties do not agree within 72 hours, the negotiations may drag on even further."

Realized Sat is 2 July 2022, and this is the old news...

We could be (blanked) as our flights are on 2 July...

Originally Posted by threeoh
Or take the refund + EUR 600 and buy your own ticket.
One can get the EU compensation for a strike??

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Jun 29, 2022 at 12:15 pm
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I stopped by Kongens Nytorv this early evening to enjoy the Tour de France festivities and ran into a young woman at a booth who had been working for SAS for seven years until she was laid off during the pandemic. She was hoping to return one day.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Dansk Metal

Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:59 pm

https://fagbladet3f.dk/node/54597

"""
In the decision of 23 March 2021, the European Court of Justice writes:

- A strike organized by a trade union for an airline's staff in order, inter alia, to obtain wage increases is not covered by the concept of 'exceptional circumstances' which may release the airline from its obligation to pay compensation for cancellation or long delay of the flights in question.
"""
SuperFlyBoy likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
So could this be true?:

"SAS strike has been postponed until Saturday - but "complex" negotiations could drag the pain even further

While the travelers have to hold their breath, the SAS pilots' strike has so far been postponed until Saturday. However, if the parties do not agree within 72 hours, the negotiations may drag on even further."

Realized Sat is 2 July 2022, and this is the old news...

We could be (blanked) as our flights are on 2 July...

We were able to rebook for 1 July - don't know if that's an option for you but it could be worth it to avoid the uncertainty.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by fatesandfuries
We were able to rebook for 1 July - don't know if that's an option for you but it could be worth it to avoid the uncertainty.
It's a UA ticket - not sure if they are complying...
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by the810
What is the precedence for airlines in an alliance going bankrupt when it comes to FFP. Obviously, if SK stops paying, we won't get status benefits, but is there usually some status match opportunity?

I won't go as far as hoping for turning my EBG into SEN, but perhaps A3 (which has been handing out status like there's no tomorrow for years) could pitch in?
No need to wait for SK to go under, if you fancy trying a direct AY flight to America. Finnair will status match to Finnair Plus Silver and Gold.

1. You must be a current Silver or Gold member of a "regular customer program must be headquartered in Sweden, France or Germany and be part of a global airline alliance" (not mentioning any names )
2. Book between 16th of June and 7th of July for a direct flight with Finnair from Arlanda to New York or Los Angeles.
3. Travel between 17th June and 31st October 31 2022.

Info and registration steps: https://www.finnair.com/se-sv/direkt...d-finnair-plus
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:38 am

It's a UA ticket - not sure if they are complying...
First segment of ours is on SAS Connect - apparently those flights will not be affected by the strike - which has apparently now been notified as possible/probable according to the SAS website...

It will be total chaos at CPH I think if they go ahead with the strike!

Any previous experiences about how things were when such an event happened at CPH?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:36 am

First segment of ours is on SAS Connect - apparently those flights will not be affected by the strike - which has apparently now been notified as possible/probable according to the SAS website...

It will be total chaos at CPH I think if they go ahead with the strike!

Any previous experiences about how things were when such an event happened at CPH?
Interesting! We changed our first leg (LAX to CPH on SAS) to 1 July, and our second leg (on 3 July now, so we're spending a night in Copenhagen), is on SAS Connect, and still displaying as "Scheduled"... will keep a close eye on this. Agree that it will be total chaos, sigh.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Norwegian pilots group has said that they are willing to let SAS go bankrupt. The sentiment is that if SAS can’t live up to delivering on the “Scandinavian labor model”, then the company doesn’t deserve to survive. That’s how upset they are about the company not bringing back hundreds of pilots into SAS mainline that were let go during 2020 and/or 2021 and instead the company increasingly relying upon SAS Ireland, Connect or whatever else SAS has tried to use to drive down labor costs.

The Swedish mediator has reportedly dropped out of the process of mediating because they think the two sides were making progress in negotiating with each other without the need for the mediator. I guess we will find out at 5am local Swedish time if this weekend’s travels will get wrecked.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Norwegian pilots group has said that they are willing to let SAS go bankrupt. The sentiment is that if SAS can’t live up to delivering on the “Scandinavian labor model”, then the company doesn’t deserve to survive. That’s how upset they are about the company not bringing back hundreds of pilots into SAS mainline that were let go during 2020 and/or 2021 and instead the company increasingly relying upon SAS Ireland, Connect or whatever else SAS has tried to use to drive down labor costs.

The Swedish mediator has reportedly dropped out of the process of mediating because they think the two sides were making progress in negotiating with each other without the need for the mediator. I guess we will find out at 5am local Swedish time if this weekend’s travels will get wrecked.
​​​​​​
But the Connect pilots are hired in Scandinavia on a Scandinavian collective bargaining agreement. So are a lot of the new crews in Link. Just different unions, and indeed at a lower cost. Then there is of course the parts that are operated by CityJet, Air Baltic, etc. which is a different beast, but actually not the part the SK mainline pilots are complaining about....
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
​​​​​​
But the Connect pilots are hired in Scandinavia on a Scandinavian collective bargaining agreement. So are a lot of the new crews in Link. Just different unions,
Which means a worker from one group can’t step in for someone else in the other taking a sick day?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
​​​​​​
But the Connect pilots are hired in Scandinavia on a Scandinavian collective bargaining agreement. So are a lot of the new crews in Link. Just different unions, and indeed at a lower cost. Then there is of course the parts that are operated by CityJet, Air Baltic, etc. which is a different beast, but actually not the part the SK mainline pilots are complaining about....
I think they take issue with the things that reduce SK’s costs for pilots, things that are done by way of SAS not bringing back the 500+ pilots (or whatever number it is) whom SAS doesn’t recall to mainline employment. [They seem to thinks it’s an underhanded shell game they are being dealt by company management.] To my innocent ears, it sounded to me like they also have disapproving sentiments about CityJet, AirBaltic, etc. too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.