Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For family reasons and VFR purposes, it could be personally more convenient for more such pilots (and their families) to have strikes take place during peak vacation periods and close to weekends/long weekends than at other times of the year.

Causing pain to the general public is contrary to gaining public sympathy. While the “I hate unions” crowd may think unions are self-defeating, the pilots aren’t out there to maximize pain to the general public and deliberately lose public sympathy at the same time. This PR concern is why the pilots offered to fly back the stranded charter tourists while SAS was opposed to making it a one-off — that is until SAS knew they would get called to the mat for leaving the charter tourists stranded if they didn’t agree with the striking pilots.
Not at all a biased opinion.
GUWonder and FlyingMoose like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tr3k
Not at all a biased opinion.
I think all sorts of parties can behave in self-defeating ways.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
SAS management caused this strike’s timing. If SAS hadn’t pushed the button for the nuclear option of using US jurisdiction and US bankruptcy code when it did, there wouldn’t be all these stranded charter flight passengers — of concern to both sides (for their own reasons) — from the time this started to hit the since stranded abroad charter flight tourists.
The prior agreement expired 31st of March, the standard procedure would be to announce the strike announcements at the point, and them to kick in 14 days later. But the pilots for one reason or another chose to wait until mid June, working with an expired agreement until then. Is that because it was more opportune to have the strike in peak travel season? Admittedly, management could have used a lockout at that point to force the issue to be settled in April, and they did not.

During Sunday and Monday leading in to the strike there are indeed indicators that management ended up being the more impatient side, which may indeed also have been triggered by the need to get the chapter 11 rolling. But to say the strike is solely happening due to SK management going for a chapter 11 a bit naïve. It is part of the picture, but it is not the full picture.
FlyingMoose and Tomas E like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The prior agreement expired 31st of March, the standard procedure would be to announce the strike announcements at the point, and them to kick in 14 days later. But the pilots for one reason or another chose to wait until mid June, working with an expired agreement until then. Is that because it was more opportune to have the strike in peak travel season? Admittedly, management could have used a lockout at that point to force the issue to be settled in April, and they did not.

During Sunday and Monday leading in to the strike there are indeed indicators that management ended up being the more impatient side, which may indeed also have been triggered by the need to get the chapter 11 rolling. But to say the strike is solely happening due to SK management going for a chapter 11 a bit naïve. It is part of the picture, but it is not the full picture.

SAS and MSA communications to the US last week — even before the weekend — say much about SAS management not having become suddenly impatient with the pilots during Sunday/Monday. This was on their time frame.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 9, 2022 at 12:02 am
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
SAS and MSA communications to the US last week — even before the weekend — say much about SAS management not having become suddenly impatient with the pilots during Sunday/Monday. This was on their time frame.
Without having to search through all of the court filings, any particular communication you have in mind?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting take on the situation from a competitor.

https://check-in.dk/ex-norwegian-for...il-omstilling/
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Interesting take on the situation from a competitor.

https://check-in.dk/ex-norwegian-for...il-omstilling/
Sounds like he probably agrees with me that the state-backing of SAS has been and continues to be a driver of problems even with regard to the actions/posturing undertaken by SAS management and SAS employee unions.

I am wondering if he’s wondering why he didn’t play the US jurisdiction, Chapter 11 bankruptcy shell game too.

About your earlier question, I’ll take a pass.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:02 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by fassy
Well, you could ask why they always need to have these negotiations in the vacation times. It is clear they want to cause as much pain as possible to the general public (while of course having the highest impact on company revenue). Which certainly doesn't help people sympathizing with them...
The public usually doesn't bother very much which group is on strike when their flight is cancelled, but it should be noted that May is the usual time for striking in Norway, due to usual expiration time of national tariff agreements. So having a strike in July is uncommon here (as was the recent June strike by the flight mechanics).

Now, if this just had been a Norwegian strike, it would probably have been stopped by the government already, as threatening vital national interests (as the flight mechanics strike was), by using the procedure known as tvungen lønnsnemnd (compulsory arbitration). As this is an international strike, that wouldn't solve the problem.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sounds like he probably agrees with me that the state-backing of SAS has been and continues to be a driver of problems even with regard to the actions/posturing undertaken by SAS management and SAS employee unions.

I am wondering if he’s wondering why he didn’t play the US jurisdiction, Chapter 11 bankruptcy shell game too.

About your earlier question, I’ll take a pass.
I don't disagree that the state-backing has been a drag on the necessary changes, as both management and employees have played their cards with an expectation that the airline would not be allowed to fail. Hello Alitalia, remind you of something? It will be interesting to see if ITA can pull itself out of the Alitalia legacy. And when/if SK can shed their similar legacy.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Does anyone know if there are any negotiations taking place now, or is everything completely locked?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JR67
Does anyone know if there are any negotiations taking place now, or is everything completely locked?
No negotiations yet. All posturing and media propaganda so far.
FlyingMoose likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm also guessing there are no talks this weekend? So I should be prepared to execute my backup plan to get me home by Monday evening. There is basically zero Y availability out of ARN for the next few days.

Oops, I didn't see the last few posts.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JR67
Apollo is to get c. 3000 customers to be flown back to Scandinavia by the striking pilots. I don’t know how that could have taken place if SAS hadn’t negotiated with the striking pilots so as to mutually agree to that one-off arrangement for them.

Who knows how the mechanics strike will interplay with the delivery on the one-off arrangement for those Apollo customers.

The chances of no strike related delays being in play tomorrow and into Monday? So low that I bailed on some TATL hops already and for the days ahead.

SAS already pushed the nuclear button as planned, so it’s sort of hard to accomplish much very quickly together when the nukes already launched. Capitulation under duress, or go down with the ship — aren’t those the pilots‘ options at the receiving end of the payload?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 9, 2022 at 12:00 pm
Old Jul 10, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I didn’t say anything about pilots traveling away from home in the quoted post.

Pilots in Sweden seem to be less common owners of summer homes than Swedish electricians, carpenters and plumbers. And for pilots with summer homes, they more typically seem to be only around 3 hours or less away by road, if they have one.
Well obviously, electricians, carpenters and plumbers make multiples of what pilots make because of their fraudulent contracting businesses that are amongst the biggest scams in Sweden with no zero consumer protection against this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Well obviously, electricians, carpenters and plumbers make multiples of what pilots make because of their fraudulent contracting businesses that are amongst the biggest scams in Sweden with no zero consumer protection against this.
Not just Sweden. Denmark is the same. At least in Sweden there's Arn, in Denmark we have nothing and you need to pay to lodge a complaint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.