Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:33 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
No real negotiation today.

According to the pilots, there have been no talks today (Friday). The pilots claim that they have waited for SAS all day. The media speculate that SAS are working out a "new model". Doesn't look too promising for a quick end to the strike.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ksu
According to the pilots, there have been no talks today (Friday). The pilots claim that they have waited for SAS all day. The media speculate that SAS are working out a "new model". Doesn't look too promising for a quick end to the strike.
According to other sources there have been negotiations today.... Just no progress towards a resolution.

https://www.berlingske.dk/virksomhed...se-er-parterne
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:09 pm
ksu

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
According to other sources there have been negotiations today.... Just no progress towards a resolution.

https://www.berlingske.dk/virksomhed...se-er-parterne
Yes, they are ambiguous in their leaks.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ksu
Yes, they are ambiguous in their leaks.
Of course, that's how you try to win a media war.....

Though my feeling with these things is that the one party leaking the most is either the one that is in the worst position and trying to use the leaks to better that position outside of the negotiations. The award goes to..... the head of the Danish SAS pilots and Dansk Metal.
FlyingMoose likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 15, 2022 at 6:00 pm
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ksu
Not taking the legal vacation (4 weeks + 1 day according to law in Norway) would be illegal*. It is very telling that both examples you are using (parental leave, vacation) would be contrary to national law.

*Most employees are covered by nationally negotiated tariff agreements and have five weeks of paid vacation. Any employee over the age of 60 has an extra week on top of that. The main exemption allowing employees NOT to take their vacation, is when they have not worked long enough to have earned paid vacation, usually by starting work late in the year when starting in a new job.
But taking vacation remains a decision by the employee right? I never said I want anyone not to be issued the option to take vacation, my point was that someone who decides to take vacation vs someone who does not take vacation (and I guess, instead gets those days paid out), can not have the same levels of productivity and the person who doesn't take vacation should be rewarded more for the incremental productivity than the other person. Deciding to take vacation is similar in my opinion to deciding to have children, you purposely decide to limit your productivity but somehow most people in Scandinavia think the system should keep compensating them for the loss of productivity.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:19 am
ksu

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
But taking vacation remains a decision by the employee right? I never said I want anyone not to be issued the option to take vacation, my point was that someone who decides to take vacation vs someone who does not take vacation (and I guess, instead gets those days paid out), can not have the same levels of productivity and the person who doesn't take vacation should be rewarded more for the incremental productivity than the other person. Deciding to take vacation is similar in my opinion to deciding to have children, you purposely decide to limit your productivity but somehow most people in Scandinavia think the system should keep compensating them for the loss of productivity.
No, in Norway the employee, with some limited execeptions, including for flexibility, cannot refuse to take vacation. Employers are obliged to ensure that employees take their vacation (the official informative translation uses the British English "holidays" for the Norwegian "ferie").

Section 5. Length of holidays

(1) (Normal annual leave in connection with holidays)
Employers are obliged to ensure that employees have 25 working days' leave in connection with holidays each holiday year. Employees are obliged to take holidays each year, cf. however this section (5), section 7 (3), first paragraph, and section 9 (1) and (2).All days count as working days except Sundays and public holidays. (...)

https://lovdata.no/dokument/NLE/lov/1988-04-29-21
the810 and vanillabean like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:51 pm
ksu

According to a major Norwegian newspaper, the main point of disagreement now is the duration of the agreemen (i.e. the period without the right to strike). The former SAS agreement was two or three years (the latter the longest in Scandinavia), when the negotiations broke two weeks ago, and the strike started, SAS demanded ten years, and the unions offered six years. Now SAS demands six years, but the unions won't agree to that ("due to feed-back from our members"), even if they offered that before the strike.

It could be posturing to show SAS that the unions are hard line too, as well as signaling to SAS that "you could have had this, but you were foolish enough to break the negotiations, and initiate the strike": On the other hand, a new negotiated agreement would stop the strike now, but the agreement has to go to a ballot among the unions' members, so there would be no point in agreeing on an agreement that the members don't want.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksu
According to a major Norwegian newspaper, the main point of disagreement now is the duration of the agreemen (i.e. the period without the right to strike). The former SAS agreement was two or three years (the latter the longest in Scandinavia), when the negotiations broke two weeks ago, and the strike started, SAS demanded ten years, and the unions offered six years. Now SAS demands six years, but the unions won't agree to that ("due to feed-back from our members"), even if they offered that before the strike.

It could be posturing to show SAS that the unions are hard line too, as well as signaling to SAS that "you could have had this, but you were foolish enough to break the negotiations, and initiate the strike": On the other hand, a new negotiated agreement would stop the strike now, but the agreement has to go to a ballot among the unions' members, so there would be no point in agreeing on an agreement that the members don't want.
So the pilot group is the side that puts something on the table and when they get it, they demand more? Which is what they constantly whine about management doing....

Three years is basically the norm in Denmark now, used to be 4. I don't know if there are any left running 4 years. But 3 years is not in anyway an unusually long agreement period, anything below three would be the unusual. I noticed that one of the main agreements in Denmark actually has no direct end point stipulated, just that it can be terminated after a minimum of three years by either party. But in theory it could run longer if both sides are happy.....

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 17, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Old Jul 17, 2022, 9:52 pm
ksu

So the pilot group is the side that puts something on the table and when they get it, they demand more? Which is what they constantly whine about management doing...
Not really. The offer now is not necessarily the same in other aspects.

Before the strike, the pilots supposedly offered six years as demanded by SAS, and then SAS demanded even more, while still negotiating, whereupon negotiation was broken, and the strike started. When negotiation restarted, former offers that were refused by the opponent were not necessarily still valid, and certainly not binding.

Last edited by ksu; Jul 17, 2022 at 10:04 pm
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksu
Not really. The offer now is not necessarily the same in other aspects.

Before the strike, the pilots supposedly offered six years as demanded by SAS, and then SAS demanded even more, while still negotiating, whereupon negotiation was broken, and the strike started. When negotiation restarted, former offers that were refused by the opponent were not necessarily still valid, and certainly not binding.
That's how the pilots wants to present it. Presented from the other side, SK asked for 8 as part of the negotiations, pilots offered 6.

The key point seems to be, the pilots wants to strike every two years....
FlyingMoose likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I think you pretty much just summed up the whole thing there
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:49 am
ksu

That's how the pilots wants to present it. Presented from the other side, SK asked for 8 as part of the negotiations, pilots offered 6.

And which the SAS administration somewhat misleadingly claim that they do :-)

As the negotiations, according to one of the mediators, concern 25 different aspects, I'm not so sure that any agreement should be evaluated on only one aspect. A contract giving 2% raise every year that is valid for six years is very different from a contract with no raise that is valid for six years,
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksu
And which the SAS administration somewhat misleadingly claim that they do :-)

As the negotiations, according to one of the mediators, concern 25 different aspects, I'm not so sure that any agreement should be evaluated on only one aspect. A contract giving 2% raise every year that is valid for six years is very different from a contract with no raise that is valid for six years,
If the issue with the agreement over 6 years is that it does not adequately allow to manage conditions particularly pay development over 6 years, that is a very fair point. And most fairly to object and say "we can't accept a six (or eight for that matter) year agreement because it will leave us in too much uncertainty with regards to the conditions over the period of the agreement". But the pilots keep coming back to being without the right to strike for an extended period. Which I just can't read as anything but the strikes are a cardinal point for them.

I do understand the flow that any contract negotiation can end up in a strike. That is the nature of labour relations in the Scandinavian region, I don't object to that. I object to the focus of the pilots, the outwardly communicated focus is not on being able to adjust the conditions if the macro economic movements over six years makes the agreement untenable, the communicated focus is on being able to strike. So the focus is constantly on an expectation to strike going forward.

I still come back to the point that when the negotiations stopped and the past agreement expired 31st of March 2022, why did the pilots not send a strike warning as would be the normal thing to do? Why wait for summer peak season to send a strike notice? Because the pain inflicted on management courtesy of people's summer vacations would make them more likely cave to the pilots' negotiating positions?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
If the issue with the agreement over 6 years is that it does not adequately allow to manage conditions particularly pay development over 6 years, that is a very fair point. And most fairly to object and say "we can't accept a six (or eight for that matter) year agreement because it will leave us in too much uncertainty with regards to the conditions over the period of the agreement". But the pilots keep coming back to being without the right to strike for an extended period. Which I just can't read as anything but the strikes are a cardinal point for them.

I do understand the flow that any contract negotiation can end up in a strike. That is the nature of labour relations in the Scandinavian region, I don't object to that. I object to the focus of the pilots, the outwardly communicated focus is not on being able to adjust the conditions if the macro economic movements over six years makes the agreement untenable, the communicated focus is on being able to strike. So the focus is constantly on an expectation to strike going forward.

I still come back to the point that when the negotiations stopped and the past agreement expired 31st of March 2022, why did the pilots not send a strike warning as would be the normal thing to do? Why wait for summer peak season to send a strike notice? Because the pain inflicted on management courtesy of people's summer vacations would make them more likely cave to the pilots' negotiating positions?
The obvious thing to do is to add language that only validates the x year pay increases if company results allow it so SAS doesn't go back spiraling under union pressure. This is where the unions can show reason by not demanding pay increase from a company that can't afford it.

I agree that the games from the unions and pilots is disgusting.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by ksu
No, in Norway the employee, with some limited execeptions, including for flexibility, cannot refuse to take vacation. Employers are obliged to ensure that employees take their vacation (the official informative translation uses the British English "holidays" for the Norwegian "ferie").

Section 5. Length of holidays

(1) (Normal annual leave in connection with holidays)
Employers are obliged to ensure that employees have 25 working days' leave in connection with holidays each holiday year. Employees are obliged to take holidays each year, cf. however this section (5), section 7 (3), first paragraph, and section 9 (1) and (2).All days count as working days except Sundays and public holidays. (...)

https://lovdata.no/dokument/NLE/lov/1988-04-29-21
Wow that is insane, I didn't know that. I would be incredibly upset as an employee if I was forced by the state into taking vacation.

Fortunately not the case in most other countries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.