Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective agreement for the pilots being negotiated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
From what I was hearing — and it’s from some who are too bougie to like the unions — SK didn’t offer to keep the charter operations out of the strike; rather SK asked the pilots to leave the charter pilots out of the strike when the union had already had them included in the strike. And the pilots are refusing to leave the charter pilots out of the strike as then there would be a replay of stranded charter tourists as they have made it clear that the charter pilots are to be included in the strike as they already are. In other words, the pilots seem to want to continue to do SAS management no favors by excluding the charter pilots from the strike but they are up for a one-off evacuation of stranded passengers by those striking pilots.

The more I read about this, the more obvious it becomes that mentirosos is a word that should but doesn’t bother Team Anko.
I do think the point that the pilots are willing to fly the charter passengers back, and not willing bring new ones is a fair point. Which SK management also seems to accept, yet express regret at (at their lost revenue compensations due I would assume, not actually regret at people's ruined vacations)
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
...Snip...

With Danish mechanics joining the strike, it will just be a few days before the SAS planes will have to sit on the ground because of that and not just because of striking pilots.
SK said they were planning to do the line maintenance checks at outstations rather than at the home bases. To keep the Link and Connect planes in the air. Eventually for some of the more heavy duty maintenance they might be struggling more, though I guess they could have the planes flown to Lufthansa Technic somewhere.
FlyingMoose likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There seems to be a dispute over the conditions, some media reports that the pilots are asking SK to lift the lock-outs, some media reports that there are no conditions tied to the offer. SK claims that they initially offered to keep the charter operations out of the strike, but the pilots declined. There seems to be some agreement that the pilots do demand that the planes have to fly empty to the pick up points, and can't bring new charter guests to those destinations.

According to TV2 in Denmark, it is about 12,000 travelers that will be heading back to Scandinavia this weekend, that's a decent amount of flights that are needed.
I love how the unions keep putting demands on the table that are highly destructive to the future of the airline. The charter season doesn't stop in the middle of July and other Scandinavians have charter travel booked. It really is cringing to watch unions act like little children after specifically picking the holiday season to act. Still can not believe this is legally allowed.

I am hopeful that Anko finds ways to retaliate on the unionized staff if the strike does end.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I love how the unions keep putting demands on the table that are highly destructive to the future of the airline. The charter season doesn't stop in the middle of July and other Scandinavians have charter travel booked. It really is cringing to watch unions act like little children after specifically picking the holiday season to act. Still can not believe this is legally allowed.

I am hopeful that Anko finds ways to retaliate on the unionized staff if the strike does end.
I think the pilots (at least in Denmark) expected to find more sympathy for their situation than they did. As one media outlet remarked, they are not the typical unionised blue-collar workers, and have an image of being at towards the top of the wage pyramid. Not an image that is great when being, rightfully or wrongfully, associated with cancelled and ruined vacations.
FlyingMoose and Tomas E like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:47 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
You could be a $2400/hour lawyer with that appetite for wordsmithing.
I regularly wonder about that
tr3k likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:14 am

I think the pilots (at least in Denmark) expected to find more sympathy for their situation than they did. As one media outlet remarked, they are not the typical unionised blue-collar workers, and have an image of being at towards the top of the wage pyramid. Not an image that is great when being, rightfully or wrongfully, associated with cancelled and ruined vacations.
Well, you could ask why they always need to have these negotiations in the vacation times. It is clear they want to cause as much pain as possible to the general public (while of course having the highest impact on company revenue). Which certainly doesn't help people sympathizing with them...
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Well, you could ask why they always need to have these negotiations in the vacation times. It is clear they want to cause as much pain as possible to the general public (while of course having the highest impact on company revenue). Which certainly doesn't help people sympathizing with them...
In no country do the pilots have too much sympathy, when they go on strike, people look for their vacations, if you screw them up, they will shout against the one who strikes, even if it is a porter
GUWonder and dark_phoenix like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jainzar
The interesting part is, that according to FPA Connect pays more if you are a young pilot, and SAS Scandinavia pays better if you have a senior role.
Like $3500/month starting while for a pilot sticking around for nearly a quarter century it would be a base of around $10,000 per month? Pre-tax amounts.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:07 am
Suspended

The Apollo charter tour company has said that SAS pilots will be flying their stranded tourists back home. Did Apollo put pressure on SAS management and say that they would try to hold SAS accountable for them and their customers if SAS refused to meet the pilots on getting their customers back home? SAS could try to hide behind Chapter 11 were such claims to result in SAS owing money for damages from this management-driven strike.

What will be interesting to see is how long games like this SAS bankruptcy maneuver will be allowed to continue before there is real pressure in at least some parts of Europe to update laws to try to prevent this kind of venue-shopping scheme from happening more often. SAS’s doing this is unlikely to be a loud enough wake-up call to get people to level the playing field.

Originally Posted by fassy
During peak vacation periods, the pilots’ and mechanics’ own children and other relatives are more likely to be off from school and work. All their family duties and fun don’t just end during peak vacation periods. Nor during a strike.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 8, 2022 at 11:44 am
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:26 pm

During peak vacation periods, the pilots’ and mechanics’ own children and other relatives are more likely to be off from school and work. All their family duties and fun don’t just end during peak vacation periods. Nor during a strike.
What is the connection?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tr3k
What is the connection?
For family reasons and VFR purposes, it could be personally more convenient for more such pilots (and their families) to have strikes take place during peak vacation periods and close to weekends/long weekends than at other times of the year.

Causing pain to the general public is contrary to gaining public sympathy. While the “I hate unions” crowd may think unions are self-defeating, the pilots aren’t out there to maximize pain to the general public and deliberately lose public sympathy at the same time. This PR concern is why the pilots offered to fly back the stranded charter tourists while SAS was opposed to making it a one-off — that is until SAS knew they would get called to the mat for leaving the charter tourists stranded if they didn’t agree with the striking pilots.
dark_phoenix likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 8, 2022 at 8:11 pm
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For family reasons and VFR purposes, it could be personally more convenient for more such pilots (and their families) to have strikes take place during peak vacation periods and close to weekends/long weekends than at other times of the year.
They are not allowed to travel away from home during a strike, as it may end with little to no warning, and they have to be able to show up for work the day it ends. But they could of course spend the summer days in their country house that all Swedes seems to own one of. Provided they could be back a base with a day's warning.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:12 pm
Suspended

They are not allowed to travel away from home during a strike, as it may end with little to no warning, and they have to be able to show up for work the day it ends. But they could of course spend the summer days in their country house that all Swedes seems to own one of. Provided they could be back a base with a day's warning.
I didn’t say anything about pilots traveling away from home in the quoted post.

Pilots in Sweden seem to be less common owners of summer homes than Swedish electricians, carpenters and plumbers. And for pilots with summer homes, they more typically seem to be only around 3 hours or less away by road, if they have one.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 8, 2022 at 8:18 pm
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I didn’t say anything about pilots traveling away from home in the quoted post.
I know. I was just specifying that it is not really a vacation period for them. But it does indeed making it easier to have inbound VFR activities.

Though I doubt the choice of the summer vacation period for strikes is driven by the pilots' personal pastime requirements, and more driven by a thinking that management is less likely to want a strike in the peak period, and thus more likely to acquiesce the demands of the pilots.
tr3k likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:24 pm
Suspended

I know. I was just specifying that it is not really a vacation period for them. But it does indeed making it easier to have inbound VFR activities.

Though I doubt the choice of the summer vacation period for strikes is driven by the pilots' personal pastime requirements, and more driven by a thinking that management is less likely to want a strike in the peak period, and thus more likely to acquiesce the demands of the pilots.
SAS management caused this strike’s timing. If SAS hadn’t pushed the button for the nuclear option of using US jurisdiction and US bankruptcy code when it did, there wouldn’t be all these stranded charter flight passengers — of concern to both sides (for their own reasons) — from the time this started to hit the since stranded abroad charter flight tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.