Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
One of the big challenges is the number of weekends that pilots work According to the pilots, they can work up to 7 weekends in a row. However, a weekend is defined to start Friday at 4pm and end Monday at 7am. So if the shift ends at 4:30pm on a Friday and the rest of the weekend is time of, it is counted in their 7 weekends in a row statics
​​​​​​
Seriously??

By the standard, the only weekends where I don't work would be in connection with taking vacation.

The pilots even acknowledge that is their method of counting.

​​​​​https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/sa...8-16-job-siger
According to that way of counting, many people in Scandinavia are working 50 weekends in a row.
SK2751 and oohh like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Demanding a 13% pay hike from a financially struggling employer doesn’t sound like the employees have a lot of concern for their employer’s longer term viability as an employer. If the Norwegian/DY pilots did this kind of thing, it would probably be closer to game over for Norwegian. Are DY pilots even very close to being as comfortable as SK pilots?
With the amount of money DY is loosing every time a plane takes to the air, I'm not sure they wouldn't benefit from their pilots striking. :-)
Joke a side. DY is really taking advantage of the situation at the moment. On routes where they are in direct competition with SK, they have stopped the sale of flexible tickets some weeks ago, and last Friday I saw a ticket prices as high as 7000 DKK for a flight between CPH and ARN late at night. I doubt SK will do the same if DY was hit by a strike.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
With the amount of money DY is loosing every time a plane takes to the air, I'm not sure they wouldn't benefit from their pilots striking. :-)
Joke a side. DY is really taking advantage of the situation at the moment. On routes where they are in direct competition with SK, they have stopped the sale of flexible tickets some weeks ago, and last Friday I saw a ticket prices as high as 7000 DKK for a flight between CPH and ARN late at night. I doubt SK will do the same if DY was hit by a strike.
DY seems to have had higher prices than usual as has the rail trips using SJ, Veolia/Snalltaget and even MTRexpress, but isn’t that to be expected when a big chunk of supply has been taken out and demand is still there needing service from the remaining transport providers?

SAS is also no saint with pricing when supply hits happen in the marketplace and demand to travel is whatever it is.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
DY seems to have had higher prices than usual as has the rail trips using SJ, Veolia/Snalltaget and even MTRexpress, but isn’t that to be expected when a big chunk of supply has been taken out and demand is still there needing service from the remaining transport providers?

SAS is also no saint with pricing when supply hits happen in the marketplace and demand to travel is whatever it is.

I'm not at all surprised about the higher prices. But 7K for a none flex ticket on a late night flight CPH-ARN. I haven't ever seen SK seats at this level in Plus on a rush hour flight. If the ticket would have been flexible it would have been ok, but not for a none flex ticket.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Just to let folks know -- the Facebook Messenger interface is the way to go -- at least it was for me.

My flight CPH > SFO SK0935 on 30 April 2019 was just canceled about 50 minutes ago (thanks, TripIt Pro), and after trying to call both the US customer service number (they are closed now) and the number in Denmark (phone tree system is very full), I used the Facebook Messenger system to contact SAS Customer Service.

I am now getting rebooked on Lufthansa in less than 15 minutes, with an earlier departure, with earlier arrival into SFO, with FRA connection.

Very good experience.

I hope everyone else affected has the same luck.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
There are no first in first out rule in DK.
Exactly. The first in first out rule is just ridiculous.

My kids school has serious financial trouble and has to cut 20% of the teaching staff. They had to cut according to the Swedish rule, i.e. first in first out. A very qualified teacher was axed because of this and her colleague who is not popular at all gets to stay.

My friend who got stuck at the airport got a night and meal comped by SAS and got on the flight next day to PVG. I do think SK CS is very accommodating during irrop, dealing with them is much better than during with out station ground staff.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: *G
I wonder who is going to fly those 2 birds. Also wonder whether it will be OY-KBI, which will do the return flight from HKG. It's currently down there for maintenance, and is ready to go back as far as I know.
Japan is public holiday from 27Apr till 06May due to the Japan's imperial succession.
SK984 NRT/CPH on 27th, 28th were fully booked out.
Because of the beginning of the 10 days holiday, it was quite hard to rebook SK passengers to another airlines.
I guess, still many Japanese rebooked the flights to 01st.
SK984 on 1st is booked out now.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm not at all surprised about the higher prices. But 7K for a none flex ticket on a late night flight CPH-ARN. I haven't ever seen SK seats at this level in Plus on a rush hour flight. If the ticket would have been flexible it would have been ok, but not for a none flex ticket.
Given what US3 carriers try to charge me for some domestic flights where I could do the trip in 2/3/4/5 hours of driving, I may be a bit too understanding of DY charging even 7k DKK for what would be a 7-8 hour drive at best.

DY must really love SK employees going on strike.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 29, 2019 at 5:45 am
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by daiseiko
Japan is public holiday from 27Apr till 06May due to the Japan's imperial succession.
Only the 30th of April (Abdication Day) and the 1st of May (Enthronement Day) are succession-related holidays, plus the 2nd is a holiday due to being squeezed in between two national holidays. The other days are regular Saturdays and Sundays or holidays which are celebrated every year. For example, today Japan celebrates Hirohito's birthday.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by daiseiko
SK984 NRT/CPH on 27th, 28th were fully booked out.
Because of the beginning of the 10 days holiday, it was quite hard to rebook SK passengers to another airlines.
I guess, still many Japanese rebooked the flights to 01st.
SK984 on 1st is booked out now.
I'm flying down there on the 4th, and when I checked expertflyer yesterday there were still seats available on all LH flight on all days from May 1 till May 5. May 6 was sold out. And this was for all routes either directly FRA/MUC-HND or over either PEK or PVG.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Exactly. The first in first out rule is just ridiculous.

My kids school has serious financial trouble and has to cut 20% of the teaching staff. They had to cut according to the Swedish rule, i.e. first in first out. A very qualified teacher was axed because of this and her colleague who is not popular at all gets to stay.

My friend who got stuck at the airport got a night and meal comped by SAS and got on the flight next day to PVG. I do think SK CS is very accommodating during irrop, dealing with them is much better than during with out station ground staff.
Are you sure the last in/first out in SE aren't a union agreement too? My client in SE recently had to layoff about a 100 out of +3K employees, and to my understanding they didn't follow any last in/first out rule.

Edit: Corrected from first in/first out to last in/first out

Last edited by highupinthesky; Apr 29, 2019 at 9:27 am
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Are you sure the first in/first out in SE aren't a union agreement too? My client in SE recently had to layoff about a 100 out of +3K employees, and to my understanding they didn't follow any first in/first out rule.
There are ways around it, mainly money. I don't know where collective agreements end employment law starts on the topic, but it is fairly entrenched in the Swedish labour market
​​​​​​
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: *G
I'm flying down there on the 4th, and when I checked expertflyer yesterday there were still seats available on all LH flight on all days from May 1 till May 5. May 6 was sold out. And this was for all routes either directly FRA/MUC-HND or over either PEK or PVG.
When I see AMADEUS, some flights FRA&MUC/HND on 4th, 5th, 6th are booked out or only Y class available.
Anyway, it doesn't matter booked out or not on 4th, 5th 6th.
This is not the point on my message.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:41 am

Isn’t it rather last in, first out?

Originally Posted by https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_Protection_Act_(of_Sweden)
The Employment Protection act regulates Termination of employment and minimum notice times, priority of rehiring, and lawful reasons for termination (restricted to redundancy and personal reasons like misconduct). In case of termination due to redundancy, the law requires workplaces to fire their personal according to a list of seniority (Swedish: turordningslista). Given similar tasks, the last employee to be hired will be the first to be fired. In the case of similar age amongst employees, priority is given to older employees.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 6:49 am

Are you sure the first in/first out in SE aren't a union agreement too? My client in SE recently had to layoff about a 100 out of +3K employees, and to my understanding they didn't follow any first in/first out rule.
It's last in, first out. https://lagen.nu/1982:80#R9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.