Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
  • SAS will not reimburse any other expenses nor will they payout EU compensation. This is a change from last time, due to a EU verdict lately.

Which verdict was that? A few months ago, some authorities in the EU were going after Ryanair's refusal to payout EC261/2004 compensation by claiming strike action wasn't covered/was excluded.

This claim-making business states the following:

Am I entitled to compensation when my flight is cancelled or delayed by a strike?

In the UK a strike of third parties is seen as an extraordinary circumstance under Regulation 261/2004. Third parties are outside parties of which the airline is not in control, such as Air Traffic Control, baggage handlers or security. This means that you are not entitled to compensation when a UK flight is cancelled or delayed by more than three hours due to a third party strike. If the airline personnel like cabincrew or pilots are on strike, you are entitled to compensation of up to €600 per person.
https://www.euclaim.co.uk/strike
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Which verdict was that? A few months ago, some authorities in the EU were going after Ryanair's refusal to payout EC261/2004 compensation by claiming strike action wasn't covered/was excluded.

Since this is a UK ruling, does it have a binding effect in the Scandinavian region? Would it not need to be from ECJ to have community wide effect?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Since this is a UK ruling, does it have a binding effect in the Scandinavian region? Would it not need to be from ECJ to have community wide effect?
An ECJ ruling need not be in place for something to have binding effect across the areas under EU/ECJ jurisdiction. But if your question is really about if the relevant authorities in one country can operate in a different way than their functional equivalents in another country, they can unless and until an ECJ ruling hits or some other things happen to make things more uniform.

The UK ruling does in ways have binding effect on SAS, at least for some.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: EBG
Just had my flight ARN-LHR cancelled for tomorrow. Told to rebook, used the app logged in as a EBG and flying in plus and was charged 833SEK to rebook the ticked to a later time. Be fully aware that rebooking is NOT free and having status means nothing. Tried to ring their help desk but you dont get the option to enter your SKG number anymore and just told you face a very long wait.

I can see this will be probably refunded but it will require a lot of pissing about with SAS and then pissing about dealing with the refund inside the company accounting program.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
An ECJ ruling need not be in place for something to have binding effect across the areas under EU/ECJ jurisdiction. But if your question is really about if the relevant authorities in one country can operate in a different way than their functional equivalents in another country, they can unless and until an ECJ ruling hits or some other things happen to make things more uniform.

The UK ruling does in ways have binding effect on SAS, at least for some.
My question was if SK necessarily was bound by the rulings in other countries. Sonthe answer is "It is a little more complex than that" I guess. If there is no ruling by Scandinavian authorities on the topic they can be pushing to get one.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My question was if SK necessarily was bound by the rulings in other countries.
If that is the question, then yes SAS is necessarily bound by the rulings of the relevant national authority for claims made in other EC 261/2004 countries with such rulings/determinations. SAS and other airlines have had plenty of time to try to escalate such matters up to and toward the ECJ, and yet it is clear that there is no unanimity that a strike by one's own employees is considered "extraordinary circumstances" under EC261/2004.

Given that the EC is looking at updating EC261/2004 to clarify the definition of "extraordinary circumstances" to include natural disasters and ATC strikes as being "extraordinary circumstances", it would seem that the standing intent of EC261/2004 remains that a strike by SAS' pilots would still not constitute "extraordinary circumstances" for SAS under EC261/2004 or its successor in and beyond Scandinavia.

A third party strike would remain an extraordinary circumstance. A strike by one's own employees would seem to still not be "extraordinary circumstances" under EC261/2004.

Amusingly, the Danish authorities claim strikes, third party or otherwise, to be "extraordinary circumstances" under EC261/2004. So in case of strikes and having a choice of UK or Danish jurisdiction, I would go with the UK jurisdiction.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 27, 2019 at 8:23 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:19 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by RedChili
It's important to realize the difference between a voluntary rebooking of a flight that hasn't been cancelled yet, and a flight that actually is cancelled.

Concerning the voluntary rebooking, a part of the SAS info says: "You can rebook to a SAS flight on another date to the same destination if the same service class as the original ticket is available. The new date of travel may not be earlier than 06May until 30 September 2019." That could be interpreted to mean that there must be award space available if you want to rebook a flight voluntarily.

But if a flight has actually been cancelled and you show up at the aiport, SAS will need to rebook you onto any flight that will get you to your destination.
Service classes on SAS are Business, Plus and Go. That is a different concept than booking classes (C, Y, M, B, S, Q, V etc).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: More than one

SAS is claiming the strike is out of their control and they therefore don't have to pay compensation. I'm not sure but it might be because the strike is not in conflict with the union agreements and sanctioned by national laws.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: More than one
Amusingly, the Danish authorities claim strikes, third party or otherwise, to be "extraordinary circumstances" under EC261/2004. So in case of strikes and having a choice of UK or Danish jurisdiction, I would go with the UK jurisdiction.
Well. SAS is technically 3 companies with a Swedish holding company. The pilots are negotiating locally in each country but have agreed to go for the same benefits and not to sign any deals unless the other countries agree.

Regarding the strikes. The issue is probably that strikes are a natural part of the negotiations between the companies and unions and sanctioned by the government. Bear in mind there are no minimum salary set by the government in any of the Scandinavian countries. It's all agreed between the unions of the employer and employees.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:50 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by SK AAR
This is how strikes should be dealt with in the medias. No reason to let the unions/pilots voice their demands through the medias - the less attention the quicker it will be over with - just my 2 cents...
There has been much attention to the strike in the Norwegian media, since March. Of course: the strike is less important for the general Danish public than for the Norwegian general public. The international routes to all three Scandinavian countries have alternatives, and domestic air travel is not very important in Denmark, where train services are more of an alternative than in Norway. (And AFAIK more of the domestic Danish services are flown by other airlines, and thus not affected).

The strike is a huge problem for Norway now, and thus very prominent in the media, including the demands of the pilots.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
SAS is claiming the strike is out of their control and they therefore don't have to pay compensation. I'm not sure but it might be because the strike is not in conflict with the union agreements and sanctioned by national laws.
That may be what the Danish national enforcement authorities for EC261/2004 will accept, but I am pretty sure that not all NEBs across the relevant areas agree with the SAS/Danish take.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that would only be a choice for the UK routes? But that seems to be the answer; amusing or not, SAS DK has the backing for this approach until the ECJ or the update of the regulations say otherwise. What about Sweden and Norway?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksu
There has been much attention to the strike in the Norwegian media, since March. Of course: the strike is less important for the general Danish public than for the Norwegian general public. The international routes to all three Scandinavian countries have alternatives, and domestic air travel is not very important in Denmark, where train services are more of an alternative than in Norway. (And AFAIK more of the domestic Danish services are flown by other airlines, and thus not affected).

The strike is a huge problem for Norway now, and thus very prominent in the media, including the demands of the pilots.
TV and other coverage of the SAS strike and its impact on passengers at OSL wasn't easily missed by me. Swedish and Danish coverage of the strike didn't seem to be as rooted in enabling viewers to be as critical of the impact of the strike on strike-hit passengers.

I have heard some Norwegians and Swedes who think that the SAS employees in Scandinavia have been a collectively spoiled bunch of workers. SAS pilots in Scandinavia are considered to be very high-income workers in their home countries and seem to have way more time to hit the golf courses than the average full-time worker in Scandinavia, both factors that may spark some people to be more critical of the pilot strikes than they may have otherwise been.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What about Sweden and Norway?
There are only so many people I can hassle on a weekend without getting the direct or indirect "javla Americans" response.

Maybe if it weren't so nice in Stockholm, I'd get a more timely response.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:21 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Does anyone anticipate this being similar to AF's recent strike, which went on for months almost in the background? Or are the pilots simply not coming back until resolved? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.