Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Now we just need to agree what is good functions.
The ones that work as they should every time from a technical perspective.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
For the second type. They only thing the airlines can do to stop the strikes, is signing the new agreement with the unions. IMHO it's kind of blackmail if the unions get EC261 compensation as a weapon on their side during the negotiations which is currently ongoing.
Given money is fungible and is limited to no more than a given maximum set of sources for the airline, the increased EC261/2004 compensation costs from a strike may as well be considered a double-edged weapon that hits target and bearer. The strike-hit airline employer can just as well claim the cost of the strike to undercut the demands of the unionized employees during negotiations as the unionized employees can use it to demand that their demands aren’t undercut by the employing airline.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by criced
Thanks. I called SAS now in the night and thay told me same thing. We will se at check in if its right.

No, some companys have good features but not one is 100%. Make a mix of all the good functions and sell it
Which number did you call? I called the German CS phone number twice and gave up after holding for more than an hour. The Dutch CS number was closed, while it should have been open according to the website.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:43 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by tgj1974
Hi
I booked a trip BRU-CPH on Monday and CPH-ORD tuesday through Expedia due to SAS inability to book such itineary online.
Now with strike, in case of cancellation of my Monday flight, can I call SAS to sort it out, or do I really need to call Expedia?
Flight is in business and I am EBG if it helps.
tgj1974, I moved your post to the consolidated thread on the current SK pilot strike so that you may see the experiences of others. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by plan200
I am one of the many impacted by this - today's (SAT) update from the SAS website - is for flights from 26-APR to 1-MAY - you now can do the "voluntary rebooking" if you flight has NOT been cancelled yet.
I assume the rebooking is onto later date SAS flights - with the earliest rebook date still listed as 6-MAY (assuming they settled and are flying again).
My issue is my flights are on the 3-MAY - and I want SAS to rebook me on ANOTHER airline on the same day.
Has anyone seen this listed or been able to make this happen?
Welcome to FT,

The strike may be over by 3 May - that is why you can't be rebooked now.

In order to be rebooked to another carrier, you need to wait until your flight is actually cancelled/on the day of traveling. You will not be able to rebook now, so wait it out.
oohh likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by tgj1974
Hi
I booked a trip BRU-CPH on Monday and CPH-ORD tuesday through Expedia due to SAS inability to book such itineary online.
Now with strike, in case of cancellation of my Monday flight, can I call SAS to sort it out, or do I really need to call Expedia?
Flight is in business and I am EBG if it helps.
You need to contact Exp or go to BRU airport tomorrow for the SAS agents there to rebook you. If you call SK you will most likely be told to contact Exp.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I was stressed the entire weekend about my Monday WAW-CPH on SK, that I *extraordinarily* booked on the mainline operated flight. I almost always do cityjet. Yesterday, 2 days before trip, got on the phone, but SK could not help. They were eager to rebook on any other SK flight, not necessarily beyond May 6, free of charge. They could re-book to current flights on CityJet but all earlier seats from WAW were sold out. The first available was bringing me to CPH 3 hours too late. I even tried to pull the guaranteed-seat-for-EBD card out, and purchase an overpriced seat for a full flight on Monday morning, which will operate, as city jet is not on strike (they would just bump someone out). This did not work - I forgot that this needs to be done 48h ahead, and we were about 44 hours left.

Given an uttermost defeat I decided to wait it out until an official cancellation, so that they can also rebook to *A. I was quite stressed; Longer I waited, more connections departing I could see. They cancelled the flight only about 20 hours before departure (which, especially on a Sunday, limits the option of what they can do to still get me to CPH on time). Needless worry: This worked extremely well. The moment they cancelled, I called with my EBD number registered. Almost no waiting time. The agent needed 2 minutes to rebook me to a very well timed connection via VNO with the first leg on LO. This was so fast, that I almost suspect that the offer was already prepared when I called. I will depart 3 hours earlier, will arrive 10 minutes later than originally scheduled. A very happy customer, if there is no more irrops on this trip. I hope that the status helped here, but wouldn't mind at all if they treat everybody so well.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:46 am

The problems with this strike have not been the cancelled flights, its the changes SAS do all the time to my rebooking...had to call them 3 times for the last 24h to get them book me back on my TK flight from HKG...stressfull ��

​​​​​
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The ones that work as they should every time from a technical perspective.
Well. I know a lot of functions which from a technical perspective works fine, but are stupid designed from a functionality view.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by plan200
I am one of the many impacted by this - today's (SAT) update from the SAS website - is for flights from 26-APR to 1-MAY - you now can do the "voluntary rebooking" if you flight has NOT been cancelled yet.
I assume the rebooking is onto later date SAS flights - with the earliest rebook date still listed as 6-MAY (assuming they settled and are flying again).
My issue is my flights are on the 3-MAY - and I want SAS to rebook me on ANOTHER airline on the same day.
Has anyone seen this listed or been able to make this happen?
Rebook to other airline can only be done by SAS or your TA, and will be done automatically once your flight is canceled. It can't be done before. Further. Due to the number of flights affected you might not be able to get a flight on the same day, but you can't do anything before the flight is actually canceled, except for voluntary rebooking to another SAS flight. The automatically rebooking by SAS is done based on priority. If you have EBD or EBG member status you will be rebooked before anyone else. Also the booking class count in the priority. Of course. The higher priority the bigger chance for same days flight.

I haven't checked the rules on voluntary rebooking, but I was wondering whether you would be able to rebook for an earlier flight or you can only rebook for later flights. Rebooking to an earlier flight could be beneficial if you need to be somewhere on a specific day as it will give you more margin for disruptions. But you of course has to be able to travel a day early, and in some cases SAS has rebooked people to a flight a day earlier from their original schedule so you risk arriving 2 days early. On top of this your original flight might not be canceled if the strike ends before it's scheduled departure.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by SK2751
I was stressed the entire weekend about my Monday WAW-CPH on SK, that I *extraordinarily* booked on the mainline operated flight. I almost always do cityjet. Yesterday, 2 days before trip, got on the phone, but SK could not help. They were eager to rebook on any other SK flight, not necessarily beyond May 6, free of charge. They could re-book to current flights on CityJet but all earlier seats from WAW were sold out. The first available was bringing me to CPH 3 hours too late. I even tried to pull the guaranteed-seat-for-EBD card out, and purchase an overpriced seat for a full flight on Monday morning, which will operate, as city jet is not on strike (they would just bump someone out). This did not work - I forgot that this needs to be done 48h ahead, and we were about 44 hours left.

Given an uttermost defeat I decided to wait it out until an official cancellation, so that they can also rebook to *A. I was quite stressed; Longer I waited, more connections departing I could see. They cancelled the flight only about 20 hours before departure (which, especially on a Sunday, limits the option of what they can do to still get me to CPH on time). Needless worry: This worked extremely well. The moment they cancelled, I called with my EBD number registered. Almost no waiting time. The agent needed 2 minutes to rebook me to a very well timed connection via VNO with the first leg on LO. This was so fast, that I almost suspect that the offer was already prepared when I called. I will depart 3 hours earlier, will arrive 10 minutes later than originally scheduled. A very happy customer, if there is no more irrops on this trip. I hope that the status helped here, but wouldn't mind at all if they treat everybody so well.
Good to hear about the good experiences. I wouldn't be surprised if they have prepared rerouting for their priority PAX's, and not just during the strike. Some of the rebookings I have had outside the strikes has been so fast that they must have been prepared. Often there is less then 10 min. between the cancellation notification and receiving the new flight plan.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Hi,
I am flying with SAS 5th of May and was wondering if I could book my trip with another airline as a flexible ticket in advance. I am worried once the real cancellation goes through it would be too late. May I then use my ticket I bought in advance, and ask SAS to pay for the difference?

Sincerely,
SB
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by strikerbird
Hi,
I am flying with SAS 5th of May and was wondering if I could book my trip with another airline as a flexible ticket in advance. I am worried once the real cancellation goes through it would be too late. May I then use my ticket I bought in advance, and ask SAS to pay for the difference?

Sincerely,
SB
Nope. There is an indication that they will pay 300 euros for rebooked tickets, but that probably won't cover a last-minute flexible ticket.

Unless you are going someplace obscure or really need to land at the exact time you are scheduled, I would say wait and let SK rebook you. You are EBG if I read correctly, so you will be prioritized.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: A3 *G; Honors Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite; IHG Diamond;
I think the rebooking is no priority for *A Gold member if happen, right?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:36 am

What's the best way to get in touch with SAS regarding the rebooking? FB messenger or is there any number where you don't have to wait in line for hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.