Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 2:22 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The cabin crew in Norway were not laid off per se, they were sent on unpaid leave. But only in Norway, seemingly Norway has legal ways of doing that during a strike.
The cabin crew (and others) are sent on the dole, to use a British term. They are sent on unpaid leave by the employer, but will get full unemployment compensation by the state. This is lower than their salary. They need to be able and willing to take other employment during that time, but they will be reinstated automatically when SAS resumes business as usual.

This unpaid leave can also be used in other situations. When a shipbuilder doesn't have any new contracts, but might get one some months ahead, the employees might be sent on unpaid leave, yhe logic being that it is cheaper and better for society to pay unemployment benefits for a period, rather than having the company go bankrupt, which might be mor expensive for society and the common purse.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by ksu
This argument would have more strength, if the CEO of SAS hadn't himself gotten a 35 % rise for turning the airline around. Hypocrisy like that does not go down well in Scandinavia.

The backstory for the very high demand for a raise is that the pilots, as well as other employees (including the CEO) accepted cuts in salary and benefits in order to help SAS avoid bankrupcy. Unlike the CEO who was given a 35 % raise in 2016 (by a board whose members had their remuneration raised by 40 - 60 %) this has not been compensated for. Now that SAS is on a much stronger economical footing, the pilots demand to get back on track salarywise, as the CEO himself has done. Obviously (as the main reason for the strike isn't tha salaries, but working conditoions) the salary demand can (and will) be negotiated downwards in proper mediation. Unfortunately, the very well-paid SAS CEO has done nothing constructively to stop the strike. On the contrary, he has been quoted in the media, that the pilots should stop the strike, without making any signals of wanting to restart negotiations, loooking to the public just like a petulant child, and certainly nothing like a successful CEO.
I saw stories in the Danish News yesterday and the day before that SAS has invited the pilots to new negotiations, but the pilots refuses and what SAS to give in to some of their demands first.

In situations like this I don't believe any news stories about the negotiations and stand points. It's all spin to win the public vote.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:30 am
ksu

Originally Posted by GUWonder

That predates the move in late 2018 by the UK toward enforcing action against Ryanair for claiming strike-impacted passengers weren’t covered due to “extraordinary circumstances.

And Ryanair is claiming in its defense in the UK that courts in Italy, Spain and Germany have already determined that “extraordinary circumstances” apply to strikes writ large. This is despite the fact that the EC’s considered revisions to EC 261/2004 was done with the idea that not all strikes would be considered “extraordinary circumstances” and to have more explicit language in this regard making that more clear.

Courts siding with consumers over companies and unions in this area? I would hazard a guess and say not likely at the national levels at least in places where unions and union membership are strong and more popularly well regarded or relevant to the working majority.
The moot point is probably whether the strike is within the control of the airline or not. Air controllers' strike is obviously not within the control of the airline, a strike by an airline's own pilots could certainly be seen as being within the airline's own control - they can stop the strike by giving in to the demands.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:31 am
ksu

Negotiatons restart

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I saw stories in the Danish News yesterday and the day before that SAS has invited the pilots to new negotiations, but the pilots refuses and what SAS to give in to some of their demands first.

In situations like this I don't believe any news stories about the negotiations and stand points. It's all spin to win the public vote.
Breaking news is that the negotiations are to restart in an half-hour (11AM Norwegian time)

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/..._content=row-1
Old May 1, 2019, 2:53 am
ksu

Representatives for the unions from all three countries are present for the official negotiatons in Oslo. Odds should be good for the strike ending within the next 24 hours (Norwegian mediations seem by tradition to be an all-night affair. No, they don't serve booze)
Old May 1, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by ksu
Representatives for the unions from all three countries are present for the official negotiatons in Oslo. Odds should be good for the strike ending within the next 24 hours (Norwegian mediations seem by tradition to be an all-night affair. No, they don't serve booze)
This is great news for everyone except those of us flying tomorrow. I suppose this will seriously delay SK cancelling flights, making the window between cancellation/rebooking of my 8AM departure smaller and smaller... Would like to be able to relax knowing either I will fly as scheduled or have a new itinerary...

Last edited by JR67; May 1, 2019 at 3:06 am
Old May 1, 2019, 2:59 am
ksu

Originally Posted by JR67
THisa is great news for everyone except those of us flying tomorrow. I suppose this will seriously delay SK cancelling flights, making the window between cancellation/rebooking of my 8AM departure smaller and smaller...
Needing time to recall crew and repositioning aircraft, strike rebooking procedures will probably still be in place.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ksu
This argument would have more strength, if the CEO of SAS hadn't himself gotten a 35 % rise for turning the airline around. Hypocrisy like that does not go down well in Scandinavia.

The backstory for the very high demand for a raise is that the pilots, as well as other employees (including the CEO) accepted cuts in salary and benefits in order to help SAS avoid bankrupcy. Unlike the CEO who was given a 35 % raise in 2016 (by a board whose members had their remuneration raised by 40 - 60 %) this has not been compensated for. Now that SAS is on a much stronger economical footing, the pilots demand to get back on track salarywise, as the CEO himself has done. Obviously (as the main reason for the strike isn't tha salaries, but working conditoions) the salary demand can (and will) be negotiated downwards in proper mediation. Unfortunately, the very well-paid SAS CEO has done nothing constructively to stop the strike. On the contrary, he has been quoted in the media, that the pilots should stop the strike, without making any signals of wanting to restart negotiations, loooking to the public just like a petulant child, and certainly nothing like a successful CEO.
Given that US actions against Iran and Venezuela seem to mean fuel prices are higher than they would otherwise be and it’s hitting the industry, this demand by the pilots for a substantial salary increase seems to be either the best of times or worst of times to demand a major increase. Won’t the flight attendants also want an increase that keeps them in step of sort with the pilots?

Old May 1, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by ksu
Needing time to recall crew and repositioning aircraft, strike rebooking procedures will probably still be in place.
Yeah - I am sure my flights will still be cancelled, but I imagine SAS will delay cancellation notices for a while while the talks start. Until then, I guess I have to stay near a computer.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by JR67
Yeah - I am sure my flights will still be cancelled, but I imagine SAS will delay cancellation notices for a while while the talks start. Until then, I guess I have to stay near a computer.
It depends where you are flying from. Inside EU should be back to normal within 24 hours. Long haul is a different story as all out stationed crew returned to their home base earlier this week, so there are no crew available for the first return flights. To my knowledge the crew can't travel as passengers on the outbound flight and then do the return flight as crew a couple of hours later.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Re: TK at HKG. When a flight gets cancelled at T-24 or less, IATA airlines can push the pax in distress to another IATA airline. If the airline is associated, either thru an alliance or a bilateral then SAS doesn't have to ask for an endorsement but pushes straightaway. The reason behind that is the availability show to partners should be free of oversell fluff. OAL is different, SAS would have call a contact at say BA or AY and politely ask if there is still space before booking the segment. Alternatively SAS could have made reprotection agreements days in advance if they knew the flights would cancel.then the operating carrier would get more revenue than what the irreg booking gives them (usually the residual pro rated fare amount of that segment in the ticket).

TK ist Out of Line for treating you like that, they know that one day this could happen to them...
Old May 1, 2019, 5:08 am
ksu

SAS has announced locally in Norway that they have cancelled departures up to 14.00 tomorrow (May 2), but that they expect a resolution of the conflict through the mediation going on.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ksu
SAS has announced locally in Norway that they have cancelled departures up to 14.00 tomorrow (May 2), but that they expect a resolution of the conflict through the mediation going on.
All SAS mainline operated flights has been canceled up to 14:00 tomorrow. Not just local flights in Norway.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:19 am
ksu

All SAS mainline operated flights has been canceled up to 14:00 tomorrow. Not just local flights in Norway.
Yes, my point was that the announcement was made in the Norwegian media, not that the cancellations only were in Norway
Old May 1, 2019, 6:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Every day the strike goes on is a day that means higher costs for me as a buyer of travel. It can’t end fast enough for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.