Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Part of the agreement that SK cancelled was the agreement securing a certain number of Swedish and Norwegian pilots on long haul out of Copenhagen. I have not seen reports on whether that part was reinstated, it is a cost driver to have a requirement for Oslo and Stockholm crew bases manning flights out of Copenhagen.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Part of the agreement that SK cancelled was the agreement securing a certain number of Swedish and Norwegian pilots on long haul out of Copenhagen. I have not seen reports on whether that part was reinstated, it is a cost driver to have a requirement for Oslo and Stockholm crew bases manning flights out of Copenhagen.
As far as I've heard, the Danish pilots wanted to get rid of this agreement too, so it has probably not been reinstated. But I don't know.
The key issues as far as I know was the salary hike and work schedule. The pilots will get a raise of 3,5%, 3.0% and 4.0% for the 3 years the agreement is covering. The 13% was apparently meant to be spread over the 3 years too, which the medias forgot to mention. Regarding the work schedule. The number of pilots on the fixed rotation is raised from 40% to 60% over the 3 years.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
As far as I've heard, the Danish pilots wanted to get rid of this agreement too, so it has probably not been reinstated. But I don't know.
The key issues as far as I know was the salary hike and work schedule. The pilots will get a raise of 3,5%, 3.0% and 4.0% for the 3 years the agreement is covering. The 13% was apparently meant to be spread over the 3 years too, which the medias forgot to mention. Regarding the work schedule. The number of pilots on the fixed rotation is raised from 40% to 60% over the 3 years.
So all the whining from the pilots about not knowing their schedule was for 60%, where as 40% already were in fixed rotation? I think the media forgot that too...
SK2751 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Aren't some number of the SAS Swedish pilots based out of CPH? Or is the reference to "Swedish pilots" being based only about whether they are based at ARN or not?

I wouldn't be surprised if from the start the pilots were pushing for a 13% increase in one fell swoop, but that the negotiations managed to bring the increase down to being spread over 3 years.

So when is the next SAS strike going to hit? Flight attendants next?

Given the relative strength of the labor market around ARN and CPH at least, I can see why the airline employees based in the region would want to see increases in income.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 3, 2019 at 2:07 am
Old May 3, 2019, 2:32 am

So all the whining from the pilots about not knowing their schedule was for 60%, where as 40% already were in fixed rotation? I think the media forgot that too...
The 40% has been mentioned in the DK media multiple times, but the 40% was part of one of the agreements which was terminated by SAS when the pilots terminated the last 3 year agreement. The 60% fixed rotation is now part of the new agreement so if either parties terminate it after 2 years both the salary hike and fixed rotation % will be part of the new negotiation.
But I do feel kind of sorry for the pilots which are in the 40% which is not on fixed rotation. They will most likely get more working weekends. Strange way of showing solidarity inside the union.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 40% has been mentioned in the DK media multiple times, but the 40% was part of one of the agreements which was terminated by SAS when the pilots terminated the last 3 year agreement. The 60% fixed rotation is now part of the new agreement so if either parties terminate it after 2 years both the salary hike and fixed rotation % will be part of the new negotiation.
But I do feel kind of sorry for the pilots which are in the 40% which is not on fixed rotation. They will most likely get more working weekends. Strange way of showing solidarity inside the union.
More working weekends, or more weekends where the shift ends Friday at 16:30 and starts Monday at 07:00 and it is still counted as a working weekend?

While I understand the frustration of working many weekends, they do need to get a realistic attitude to when they are actually working weekends And they need to remember that they chose a profession that is in operation 365 days a year.
GUWonder and highupinthesky like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:54 pm

More working weekends, or more weekends where the shift ends Friday at 16:30 and starts Monday at 07:00 and it is still counted as a working weekend?

While I understand the frustration of working many weekends, they do need to get a realistic attitude to when they are actually working weekends And they need to remember that they chose a profession that is in operation 365 days a year.
I completely agree their definition of weekend is hilarious, but my point was that if you move more pilots to fixed rotation, where they are guaranteed to have 4 weekends off in a row, those pilots who are not on the fixed rotation will probably more often get 7 weekends in a row than today. I have a hard time understanding how that can be counted as solidarity between pilots in their union.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I completely agree their definition of weekend is hilarious, but my point was that if you move more pilots to fixed rotation, where they are guaranteed to have 4 weekends off in a row, those pilots who are not on the fixed rotation will probably more often get 7 weekends in a row than today. I have a hard time understanding how that can be counted as solidarity between pilots in their union.
For the pilots it is what we in Danish for "spil for galleriet" by pretending hardship with all of these weekends that they are "working" they gain a negotiation advantage. The 40% remaining are not going to actually suffer particularly more, also, as I am sure that weekend work is paid better than weekday, and there are people who will take cash over weekends.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
For the pilots it is what we in Danish for "spil for galleriet" by pretending hardship with all of these weekends that they are "working" they gain a negotiation advantage. The 40% remaining are not going to actually suffer particularly more, also, as I am sure that weekend work is paid better than weekday, and there are people who will take cash over weekends.
Or, as we say in English, "play to the gallery"
Old May 5, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Or, as we say in English, "play to the gallery"
I was not sure it existed in English as well....
Old May 6, 2019, 4:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was not sure it existed in English as well....
Playing to the peanut gallery, in English, has a long history; but you can guess how long that history goes back.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Playing to the peanut gallery, in English, has a long history; but you can guess how long that history goes back.
Actually, "playing to the gallery", the expression used in the UK, predates the American juxtaposition of peanuts and vaudeville. First recorded use in the Liverpool Mail in 1837.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:35 am

Claims

My outgoing flight from HKG to CPH at 1am on 28.4 was cancelled the afternoon before. I read from their website that I should contact my travel agent, through which I booked the tickets. I did but was suggested to apply for a refund, no help for rebooking whatsoever. I only found this thread just now. My husband and I ended up cancelling the trip to Prague, which was very disappointing. But there was no alternative as the other flights cost three times higher with very poor connection and arrival time. We lost around 350 euros on connecting flights to n from Prague, hotels and tickets in Czech, which are not refundable. Will I be able to claim that back?
Old May 6, 2019, 5:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Actually, "playing to the gallery", the expression used in the UK, predates the American juxtaposition of peanuts and vaudeville. First recorded use in the Liverpool Mail in 1837.
My mention of peanuts was there to indicate which use was younger.

I could have said playing to the plebes, as then the concept goes even older.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Seems cabin crew just announced, they will take same fight next year......
Understandable move after the overpaid bus drivers managed with their blackmail strategy.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.