Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
All this first in first out and last in last out talk and you have to pardon me for thinking that we may be getting a lesson in accounting while pilots disrupt flying for work.

I have never heard of a union that believes in FIFO for its union members. That would have to be a very special union.

And governments tend to be more pro-older people than younger people, and thus I would be very surprised if governments were to encourage the termination of old time employees.
highupinthesky likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 29, 2019 at 7:20 am
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:20 am

That LIFO / FIFO chat brings me back into my first year in university... algorithms and data structures I.. yummy!
SK2751 and highupinthesky like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: SK*G (EBD)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have never heard of a union that believes in FIFO for its union members. That would have to be a very special union.
FIFO works well for pax i J and F... :-)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's of course LIFO.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by strikerbird

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I am. But if the other flight is full, it is full no matter what status I am with SAS. I was thinking maybe holding on the ticket until the SAS flight is cancelled. Then cancel my ticket and re-buy the open seat hopefully in the few seconds with restriction? Do you think it would work?

SB
So you want to book it as a placeholder, and then cancel and rebuy, or cancel and have SK put you in that seat? I would say that, unless you have seriously strict deadlines, to wait and let SK rebook you. You have status, so you will get priority. There a loads of seats available to most everywhere, so you should be fine. Use Expertflyer to see class availability - but note that you should search airline by airline, EF seems to be having trouble with its search - my flight CPH-ORD on Thursday only shows LH availability when I search *A carriers, but there are 16 free spots in J on AC when I search just for AC.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: TK
Just to add a point of anecdata... my girlfriend's flight on Sunday Apr 28 from Copenhagen to NYC was cancelled on Saturday Apr 27. SAS sent a message at 11 pm on Apr 27 saying they're working on rebooking her, and again at 7 am on Apr 28, until finally at 4 pm Apr 29 they said they can't rebook and we're on our own:

Important information about your SAS flight SK901/28APR: We are very sorry, at this time we are not able to rebook you to any alternative flight due to the ongoing conflict. All SAS, Star Alliance and other partner airlines are fully booked hence no seats available. We understand this is causing you great inconvenience. If you can find an alternative travel arrangement yourself, SAS will reimburse the price difference between your original unused SAS ticket and the cost for your new transportation. Please note that the transport must be within the same price range and service class as your original ticket or as close to it as possible. Against receipts we will reimburse additional costs for alternative travel up to max EUR 300 per passenger. If you do not find any alternative travel yourself, please call us to rebook your ticket. Remember your travel date will unfortunately be at least 2 to 4 days delayed. Read more about your rights and options including hotel accommodation, meal etc.: (URLs redacted since I don't have enough posts) Best wishes, SAS
I find it odd how SAS is so transparently lying here. There are still available seats for tomorrow, even on Star Alliance.

Right now I'm really happy I didn't believe SAS's claims of rebooking and booked her myself on a replacement flight that left on Sunday. I submitted a refund request and will keep you posted on how getting the new flight reimbursed works out.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:21 am

Did you call or try via Facebook?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: VA, A3, HH, SQ, EK, CX
Any idea if planes will be flying again on Wednesday 1st May ?
I have a redemption booking from SVG - OSL - FRA, both sectors on SK (Booked on Krisflyer though). This is connecting to a LH F flight FRA-BKK... so very important for me to get to FRA!
I have made alternative arrangements to get to FRA, but that requires leaving SVG on 30th April 1930... ie I can't wait until the evening of 30th April for SK to cancel the flight.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by flycasual
Just to add a point of anecdata... my girlfriend's flight on Sunday Apr 28 from Copenhagen to NYC was cancelled on Saturday Apr 27. SAS sent a message at 11 pm on Apr 27 saying they're working on rebooking her, and again at 7 am on Apr 28, until finally at 4 pm Apr 29 they said they can't rebook and we're on our own:

I find it odd how SAS is so transparently lying here. There are still available seats for tomorrow, even on Star Alliance.

Right now I'm really happy I didn't believe SAS's claims of rebooking and booked her myself on a replacement flight that left on Sunday. I submitted a refund request and will keep you posted on how getting the new flight reimbursed works out.
Was the original flight booked through SAS or a TA?

Also please note. SAS is not rebooking on any available airlines. They are only rebooking on those where they have an IRROPS agreement. You can get them to rebook on other airlines, but then you have to contact them.
Last but not least. SAS only rebooks automatically on flights leaving your first departure airport +-24 hours of the original scheduled departure. Anything beyond that you have to contact them.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Apr 29, 2019 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ozguytim
I have a redemption booking from SVG - OSL - FRA, both sectors on SK (Booked on Krisflyer though). This is connecting to a LH F flight FRA-BKK... so very important for me to get to FRA!
I have made alternative arrangements to get to FRA, but that requires leaving SVG on 30th April 1930... ie I can't wait until the evening of 30th April for SK to cancel the flight.
The strike affected flights are canceled minimum 24 hours ahead at the moment.

If they can get you to OSL, and there is a risk you won't catch your connection in FRA, you might be rebooked to TG. There is a direct TG flight OSL-BKK
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by highupinthesky

If they can get you to OSL, and there is a risk you won't catch your connection in FRA, you might be rebooked to TG. There is a direct TG flight OSL-BKK
Who should make that rebooking? SK is not going to rebook the OP til BKK if FRA-BKK on separate ticket and only SVG-FRA booked with SAS. I hardly see LH or the issuing carrier/FFP rebooking the OP from FRA-BKK to OSL-BLK with TG.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ozguytim
If it is crucial for you to get to FRA, then cancel your SAS flights and take the flight you booked. That is the only way to be 100% certain.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by simcity4000
REINSTATE
SK966/30APR Hongkong to Copenhagen is reinstated and will operate according to schedule.
SK983/30APR19 Copenhagen to Tokyo and SK984/01MAY Tokyo to Copenhagen are reinstated and will operate according to schedule.
It's not only those 3 flights which will happen. SK907 OSL-EWR took off today as normal. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...sk907#20541eef
According to this article it's going to bring home passengers and crew. https://check-in.dk/sas-sender-usa-fly-paa-vingerne/ It's a locked article, so I can only see the first few lines.
The HKG and NRT flights are probably bringing home crew from Asia.

Bringing crew home is bad news as it will probably mean more disruptions the first days after the strike is over, as there are no crew on the out stations to fly the planes back the first couple of days after the strike.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:43 pm

According to this article https://check-in.dk/norwegian-pilote...-sas-konflikt/ the SAS pilots are praising the norwegian pilots for taking advantage of the situation and operate additional flights in Norway. I fully understand why norwegian is operating additional flights, but as stated in the article I find it quite disloyal that the SAS pilots are praising the norwegian pilots for operating those flights. I wouldn't be surprised if there will be repercussions once the strike is over. When the cabin crew went on strike the last time a couple of the crew in DK were fired after the strike for disloyal behavior during the strike.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Who should make that rebooking? SK is not going to rebook the OP til BKK if FRA-BKK on separate ticket and only SVG-FRA booked with SAS. I hardly see LH or the issuing carrier/FFP rebooking the OP from FRA-BKK to OSL-BLK with TG.
Its all *A flights and SK are doing code share on the OSL-BKK flight, so SK might do the rebooking since it's their fault the PAX won't make the connection. Remember you are entitled to a refund of an event, if you don't make it due to a canceled flight. A connecting flight isn't much different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.