Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 A321LR for SAS from H1 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: More than one
First SK A321LR spotted in primer

In all the bad news, we should remember to share the good news too. The first A321LR for SK has now been spotted in primer https://aibfamily.flights/A320/9541
RoyalSwazi and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
In all the bad news, we should remember to share the good news too. The first A321LR for SK has now been spotted in primer https://aibfamily.flights/A320/9541
That is nice indeed - let’s hope it will be joining the fleet as planned and not as another COVID sufferer. Though the linked site assumes it will be on SE register by the look of ‘D-, SE-‘, I am pretty sure the three 321LRs will be on OY reg?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
That is nice indeed - let’s hope it will be joining the fleet as planned and not as another COVID sufferer. Though the linked site assumes it will be on SE register by the look of ‘D-, SE-‘, I am pretty sure the three 321LRs will be on OY reg?
As far as I know it will get the registration OY-KBW. I guess the SE- is just because all A32x birds delivered to SK the last year or two has all been SE- registered, no matter whether they have bases in DK, NO or SE.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
As far as I know it will get the registration OY-KBW. I guess the SE- is just because all A32x birds delivered to SK the last year or two has all been SE- registered, no matter whether they have bases in DK, NO or SE.
The first A321LR is rumored to become SE-DMO but I guess we will find out when painting has been completed.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by SK1989
The first A321LR is rumored to become SE-DMO but I guess we will find out when painting has been completed.
It's listed as OY-KBW on atleast 3 production lists/spotter sites I've seen. But they might get their info from the same source, and it wouldn't be the first time the final reg. has changed before delivery.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Let me guess. SAS will try to delay the delivery of this bird (and the later ones) as much as possible...
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Let me guess. SAS will try to delay the delivery of this bird (and the later ones) as much as possible...
It's already been announced delayed by Airbus till September. And since it's that far out, I doubt SK will try to delay anything at this point in time.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Far out?

Again my guess. If you asked SAS management if they would like to delay deliveries in September and onwards, you would get a loud and clear "Yes".

The struggle for airlines will be far from over by September...just my prediction.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Far out?

Again my guess. If you asked SAS management if they would like to delay deliveries in September and onwards, you would get a loud and clear "Yes".

The struggle for airlines will be far from over by September...just my prediction.
My point is they don't need to make that decision yet, and the worst thing you can do in a situation like this is to panic. Beside that. It would make more sense to take on the delivery or maybe even do an early delivery and do an early retirement on one of the A340's instead.

Back around 2000 Maersk Line had a policy of ordering new ships during crises and selling the surplus at peak times. This way they got new ships cheap and got rid of old ships at high prices. You need financial strength to do this, but I actually think SK is in a financial position where they can continue their fleet renewal as planned. I would expect a delay of the next 4 A350's that isn't in the build process yet, rather than a delay of the birds which is being build at the moment. But I doubt we will see a delay on any of the SK orders.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The big problem for such things is cash at hand... SAS probably does a sale and lease back on all deliveries, so you need to cough up some substantial dough when taking deliveries. If you factor in the massive decline in bookings and the accrual for all the refunds (even if a 'voucher' is issued the company can't use the cash) then it might be that SAS has no cash on hand to pay for the shiny new aircraft.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The big problem for such things is cash at hand... SAS probably does a sale and lease back on all deliveries, so you need to cough up some substantial dough when taking deliveries. If you factor in the massive decline in bookings and the accrual for all the refunds (even if a 'voucher' is issued the company can't use the cash) then it might be that SAS has no cash on hand to pay for the shiny new aircraft.
The 321LRs are leased from ALC. (Not sale leaseback)
https://www.sasgroup.net/newsroom/pr...21-long-range/
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Not all the new birds are leased or gone through a sale and lease back deal. SK actually have quite a number of fairly new birds at the moment which is owned by SK, although some of the birds might be put up as security in systems I don't have access too, like the 3 A350's. I find it quite strange they aren't leased, but at the moment they don't show as leased or put up as security in any of the systems I have access too.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
It's already been announced delayed by Airbus till September. And since it's that far out, I doubt SK will try to delay anything at this point in time.
EIS is scheduled for September but the aircraft should be delivered during June according to my sources.
Speaking of the A340s, I have a feeling that most of them won't see any more scheduled service with SAS...
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:37 am

EIS is scheduled for September but the aircraft should be delivered during June according to my sources.
As far as I remember June were the original date, which recently were pushed to September.

Speaking of the A340s, I have a feeling that most of them won't see any more scheduled service with SAS...
Well. There is only 4 left, and it's still about 12 months before the last 4 A350's will arrive, so I'm pretty sure most of those 4, if not all, will see some scheduled service before they are retired.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. If SK resumes service of the long haul flights - even gradually during 2nd half of 2020 - the A340 birds will have to be used. Indeed, operating the A340 should also be cheaper/cost saving, in particular if the delivery of the remaining A350 can be deferred.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.