Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 A321LR for SAS from H1 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Didn't Norwegian just fall flat on their face trying to make 7M8 service work to small village airports on the US east coast? I like the idea of downgauging some routes during the offseason, but intercont service from secondary towns in Scandic? Thats just a subsidy grabbing scam...
They currently fly BGO-SWF (Stewart, NY) which I suppose is like a Torp to Oslo (pre raillink). They also fly to JFK/EWR but not from BGO. They fly it in the summer season only on a 738, and just checking (2x weekly) I can get a one-way in April when it resumes for NOK1,300. Let's say there's a premium for EWR - 10% - hardly makes it viable down back. Not sure how much pent-up business demand there is, but surely this would be an asset deployed better elsewhere.

Not sure of exact range of the LR but assuming it is possible, Asia and other US East Coast cities surely must be the way to go? Haven't they attempted and failed at DEL several times? Would this aircraft make either DEL or BOM viable?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Didn't Norwegian just fall flat on their face trying to make 7M8 service work to small village airports on the US east coast? I like the idea of downgauging some routes during the offseason, but intercont service from secondary towns in Scandic? Thats just a subsidy grabbing scam...
They did, but the seemed to go secondary to secondary. As I understood it, SK will be going secondary to primary, so maybe a better chance?

I don't see why GOT or AAR should not be able to fill an EWR flight on an A321. Except that people might prefer to connect to a wide body flight I would take the direct as long as there was a good hard product on the planes.
​​​​​
Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Not sure of exact range of the LR but assuming it is possible, Asia and other US East Coast cities surely must be the way to go? Haven't they attempted and failed at DEL several times? Would this aircraft make either DEL or BOM viable?
Now that AI has DEL from CPH/ARN, BOM would be the alternative. It won't reach South-East Asia, but maybe AUH could be a possibility.

In my opinion, SK should rather concentrate on adding flights from the three existing hubs, e.g. OSL to ORD and IAD, ARN to YYZ and BOS, and CPH to YUL and PHL.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by RedChili
Now that AI has DEL from CPH/ARN, BOM would be the alternative. It won't reach South-East Asia, but maybe AUH could be a possibility.

In my opinion, SK should rather concentrate on adding flights from the three existing hubs, e.g. OSL to ORD and IAD, ARN to YYZ and BOS, and CPH to YUL and PHL.
Yep. I still have no idea, why they are doing exactly opposite of what is obvious. Fly from your hub to secondary airports of the competition.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

BOS is no surprise?

First new A321LR to enter SAS fleet

November 15, 2019 08:00
The first of three new A321LRs, a narrow-bodied aircraft suited for longer distances, will enter service in the SAS fleet on September 18, 2020. The new aircraft is equipped with a service concept with three travel classes, like the rest of SAS’ long-haul fleet, and will increase SAS’ flexibility to meet Scandinavian travel patterns. The new aircraft, part of SAS’ ongoing fleet renewal will reduce climate-impacting emissions in comparison to previous generations of similar aircraft.

The Airbus A321LR is a narrow-body, single aisle aircraft, specially configured to fly longer distances than a standard A321neo. The smaller aircraft gives SAS the opportunity to fill the aircraft on new routes and will be a welcome addition to the SAS long haul fleet. The A321LR will increase the SAS’ flexibility to adjust to changes in the demand for new routes and destinations.

“This is an entirely new aircraft type for SAS, which is incredibly well suited to the Scandinavian market and emerging travel patterns to and from the region. It gives SAS an opportunity to offer travelers more intercontinental routes, fewer stopovers and shorter travel times to and from Scandinavia. The new aircraft is equipped with a service concept at par with the rest of SAS’ long-haul fleet, offering passengers all the benefits, level of comfort and choices of our traveling classes,” says Karl Sandlund, EVP & Chief Commercial Officer.

The A321LR is part of the latest generation of aircraft and is expected to reduce climate-impacting emissions by around the same amount as when SAS introduced the A320neo, whose carbon footprint is approximately 15-18 percent smaller than an equivalent size aircraft from the previous generation.

“Reducing the carbon footprint in the airline industry is crucial and SAS aims to lead the way toward sustainable travel. We have set a target of reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 25 percent by 2030. The ongoing fleet renewal, including new long-haul aircraft, is an investment toward more sustainable aviation,” continues Sandlund.

The aircraft has 22 Business, 12 Plus and 123 Go, meaning a total of 157 seats in a single aisle aircraft. The seats are especially chosen for the A321LR to optimize the comfort in all three travel classes to meet the expectations of frequent travelers. Seats in SAS Business are fully flat seat beds and there are different mood light scenarios in the cabins, as well as Hi-speed Wi-Fi. Every seat is equipped with IFE screens, PC-power and/or Hi-power USB. The reduced noise level inside the cabin will further enhance the travel experience onboard.

The first A321LR will enter service on September 18, 2020. The first route the A321LR will operate on be Copenhagen-Boston. This means that the route will become a year-round destination served on a high frequency basis and will further strengthen SAS’ offering to the North Americas. Sales will start on November 20, 2019.

New routes will gradually be communicated later in 2020. The aircraft has enough range to reach northeast US, but it can also reach destinations in Canada, the Middle East and India from Scandinavia.

Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:44 pm

Not a huge surprise but wonder if they make it work. The previous service wasn’t particularly successful. I mean, the 737 was quite ok in terms of loads but the J seat was horrible. The 330 was to big... so perhaps the 321LR will fit nicely.

Don’t have any business in BOS at the moment, so will need to find an excuse to try it
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
More importantly, what are they going to use the A330 for that they free up on the CPH-BOS rotation?

I guess this A321LR stuff makes sense on these routes although I'd never pay for a narrow body airplane on a long haul route. I'm hopeful they free up some A3** planes for real routes.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
More importantly, what are they going to use the A330 for that they free up on the CPH-BOS rotation?
I think I read somewhere that they are planning on increasing frequencies in existing routes.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:59 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Any news on the Business Class configuration?
There are some bloggers reporting them to be Thompson Vantage seats, but I don't exactly trust them as they couldn't produce any source.

However, judging from that we will have 22 seats I think we can rule out herringbones as well as the diamond seats, unless they have a different amount of rows on each side of the cabin, which I doubt and that would leve us with the vantage ones in such a configuraton:

2-2
1-1
2-2
1-1
2-2
1-1
2-2

Any thoughts or ideas?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:05 am

The source you find online is an FF event they held in September announcing it.

You can fit the super diamond or cirrus seat, AA has them fitted in first class in their A321s. I think vantage is most likely. Bmi had it and standard seat on closest star alliance airlines.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I think I read somewhere that they are planning on increasing frequencies in existing routes.
They will increase on e.g. CPH-EWR from September 2020. The evening departure (SK901/SK902) will run from MAR20 to OCT20 and a departure on Tuesday. Daily departure from SCAND to MIA from SEP20 - 3 from CPH, 2 from ARN and 2 from OSL.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Any news on the Business Class configuration?
There are some bloggers reporting them to be Thompson Vantage seats, but I don't exactly trust them as they couldn't produce any source.

However, judging from that we will have 22 seats I think we can rule out herringbones as well as the diamond seats, unless they have a different amount of rows on each side of the cabin, which I doubt and that would leve us with the vantage ones in such a configuraton:

2-2
1-1
2-2
1-1
2-2
1-1
2-2

Any thoughts or ideas?
https://www.thompsonaero.com/sas-sel...s-class-seats/
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Very interesting is the Plus-cabin: 2-2. Without knowing the pitch this sounds quite great compared to the A330/340 and especially the A350, which on paper looks poor.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by herro
They will increase on e.g. CPH-EWR from September 2020. The evening departure (SK901/SK902) will run from MAR20 to OCT20 and a departure on Tuesday. Daily departure from SCAND to MIA from SEP20 - 3 from CPH, 2 from ARN and 2 from OSL.
MIA is already a daily departure split between the three. Next year it will be 10w - 6w CPH/2w ARN/2w OSL.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MAH4546
MIA is already a daily departure split between the three. Next year it will be 10w - 6w CPH/2w ARN/2w OSL.
Yes, and it's basically another indication of SAS become even more CPH-focused than it is already.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a matter of time until SK reduces MIA-bound capacity at ARN and/or OSL, but let's see how that goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.