FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   3 A321LR for SAS from H1 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1952542-3-a321lr-sas-h1-2020-a.html)

Tango Alpha Jan 23, 2019 6:30 am

3 A321LR for SAS from H1 2020

This could be interesting.

From press release:

SAS EXPANDS ITS FLEET – LEASES THREE A321 LONG RANGE

SAS has signed a leasing agreement with ALC (Air Lease Corporation) which means SAS will expand its aircraft fleet with three Airbus A321LR. This gives SAS an opportunity to offer travelers more intercontinental routes, fewer stopovers and shorter travel times to and from Scandinavia. The first aircraft will enter into service in the first half of 2020.

The aircraft has sufficient range to reach Northeast US, one of the most important intercontinental markets for SAS. The A321LR can also reach destinations in Canada, the Middle East and India from Scandinavia.

“We are looking forward to launching new routes and to evaluate the A321LR in production,” says Rickard Gustafson, President and CEO, SAS.

SAS current flies wide-body aircraft that seat up to 266 passengers on its intercontinental routes. The A321LR is a smaller aircraft, which gives SAS the opportunity to fill the aircraft on new routes. For example, these can be new destinations on smaller markets or existing destinations from smaller airports.

SAS is now in the process of deciding on the first routes and cabin configuration of the aircraft. The new routes will gradually be communicated from spring 2019. The first A321LR will enter into service in the first half of 2020.

fassy Jan 23, 2019 8:02 am

Great... did a couple of rotations CPH-BOS and IAH-SVG in the 737. Always liked it, even though the J seat was horrible outdated. Assuming the J seat in the A321LR is decent I'd welcome a narrow body service to the east coast.

ch.boed Jan 23, 2019 8:14 am

Not a surprise, but will be very interesting to see the configuration of the planes! I wonder if they'll even have the Business class Lie-flat seats or just 2 class with the same PLUS seats as on the A330/340.
I bet they'll eventually end up with more than 3 A321LR's.
For routes:
AAR-EWR probably one? CPH-BOS daily during the winter perhaps or a mix? BGO-EWR? A lot of opertunities for routes, maybe off to ADD?

SK989 Jan 23, 2019 11:41 am

CPH-BOS is of course a good guess. Perhaps GOT-EWR could work with that aircraft?

SK2751 Jan 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by SK989 (Post 30691285)
CPH-BOS is of course a good guess. Perhaps GOT-EWR could work with that aircraft?

I would rather hope that they would go for a smaller US airport from one of the hubs ARN/OSL/CPH rather than duplicating existing destinations. Montreal? I naively believe that this opens for more customers than providing direct fights from smaller Scandinavian cities letting US airlines earn on connecting flights.

Daner Jan 23, 2019 1:38 pm

I just hope that the hard product ends up being at least as good as the newly refurbished A330/340 fleet, as well as the coming A350s. Not sure how they will make that work in business, but I am interested to see how it goes.

CPH-Flyer Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Daner (Post 30691806)
I just hope that the hard product ends up being at least as good as the newly refurbished A330/340 fleet, as well as the coming A350s. Not sure how they will make that work in business, but I am interested to see how it goes.

I don't think the current Vantage seats fits very well in a narrowbody, but AA has shown that the Cirrus reverse herringbone goes nicely in an A321. The B/E Diamond seat fits as well, but removes the aisle access for the window seats.. There are definitely options for full flat in a reasonable compact configuration on the A321.

ScandiGB Jan 23, 2019 8:12 pm

The current seat is Vantage XL. That is unlikely to fit. But Thompson seems to have developed the Vantage Solo specifically for this.
https://www.thompsonaero.com/seating-range/vantagesolo/

CPH-Flyer Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by ScandiGB (Post 30692994)
The current seat is Vantage XL. That is unlikely to fit. But Thompson seems to have developed the Vantage Solo specifically for this.
https://www.thompsonaero.com/seating-range/vantagesolo/

That has been listed as coming soon for quite a while. But design has the same flaw as the Virgin Atlantic seats, and the early Air Canada seats, you don't really have a good view out of the window.

It could also seem very narrow, like the so called "coffin seats" on Cathay.

kauppias Jan 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Perhaps SAS could open a route ex HEL :) put on some competition to AY 👍👍 I know its a slim chance but would be a welcome change. :)

CPH-Flyer Jan 23, 2019 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by kauppias (Post 30693176)
Perhaps SAS could open a route ex HEL :) put on some competition to AY 👍👍 I know its a slim chance but would be a welcome change. :)

They could probably do a GOT-EWR-HEL-EWR-GOT style rotation, the crew could rotate back to home base via intra Nordic A320 series flight on HEL. Could probably work. And it is not like they would need to add infrastructure in Helsinki to operate an extra A321 flight, or not much infra. Would also have my doubts on it happening, but it could.

kauppias Jan 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30693195)
They could probably do a GOT-EWR-HEL-EWR-GOT style rotation, the crew could rotate back to home base via intra Nordic A320 series flight on HEL. Could probably work. And it is not like they would need to add infrastructure in Helsinki to operate an extra A321 flight, or not much infra. Would also have my doubts on it happening, but it could.

Indeed. I am not going to be sticking with SK come next year so no bets on the game so to say but it sure could be smart move to do more route from current smaller airport IMHO.

​​​​​​I just hope they do more routes and more airports not just more frequencies...

ch.boed Jan 24, 2019 12:15 am

Big question is also if the aircraft will be owned by SAS or SAS Ireland. I know a lot of pilots who assume they'll go to SAIL. I also read on "Børsen" behind a paywall, that they'll include both SAS Business, PLUS and GO.

SK2751 Jan 24, 2019 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30693195)

I'd be schocked if that happens. Why fly a route with no feeder traffic? I doubt one would fill the machines with only local pax, and feeding people to GOT or HEL just seems to be working against the current. I think secondary stations would benefit more from more frequent feeding into CPH than froma direct odd long haul route that most people just use a couple of years or so. Now I regularly choose to connect in MUC or FRA, because even if SK has flights to my destination, they are impossible to make with existing feeders, or they equire too much waste time waiting for the connection.

I'd rather optimize the general reach of the network, and the average travel time over my year, rather than the single odd time when I need EWR from my secondary airport of origin. So I would rather do like KLM and LH do: give me more feeders, also early morning and late night into a hub, and get me from that hub to more US cities directly. I think this is a model that is proven to work. Of course if you fly EWR weekly, and you don't need to suffer a feeder on UA/AA after that, your perspective differs.

CPH-Flyer Jan 24, 2019 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by SK2751 (Post 30697953)
I'd be schocked if that happens. Why fly a route with no feeder traffic? I doubt one would fill the machines with only local pax, and feeding people to GOT or HEL just seems to be working against the current. I think secondary stations would benefit more from more frequent feeding into CPH than froma direct odd long haul route that most people just use a couple of years or so. Now I regularly choose to connect in MUC or FRA, because even if SK has flights to my destination, they are impossible to make with existing feeders, or they equire too much waste time waiting for the connection.

I'd rather optimize the general reach of the network, and the average travel time over my year, rather than the single odd time when I need EWR from my secondary airport of origin. So I would rather do like KLM and LH do: give me more feeders, also early morning and late night into a hub, and get me from that hub to more US cities directly. I think this is a model that is proven to work. Of course if you fly EWR weekly, and you don't need to suffer a feeder on UA/AA after that, your perspective differs.

it was mainly a thought experiment, how to make a HEL run work from an aircraft utilisation perspective. I have not serious belief that they are going to do it. I am not sure what the range potential of the A321LR is, and whether SK wouold be limited to east cost cities or the could reach further in to the US. They should probably lean towards opening additional cities, but I don't really see an obvious east city candidate for SK. Unless down sizing Boston, but that is not an additional city.