Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 A321LR for SAS from H1 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Sure. It's an uptake of 2.5 mio. and I have no idea, if that is enough. But the potential conquest would be huge, as people in this area have a very high tendency to fly LH/KL/AF/BA/DY when going TATL.
well, I’d rather fly AAR-FRA/CDG/AMS/LHR-‚x destinations in the US‘ than AAR-EWR-‘crappy-domestic-US-flight’ any day. I rather have a short leg to start and then the long TATL flight direct to my final destination. Something LH/KL/BA/AF can offer and SK will never be able to compete on this market. Far better option would be to increase rotations from AAR or BLL to CPH. And since that obviously is not commercial attractive, otherwise they would have done this long ago, I don't believe Jytland being a huge market.

Look at Germany. Only FRA and MUC and are *real* international long-haul airports, not even HAM. For a city of that importance for touristic activity and business. DUS, TXL and some other play in the HAM region.

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
It's not always logic which drives the decision on routes. A couple of years ago SK has a daily direct flight between CPH-VIE, and I believe ARN-VIE too. The route CPH-VIE was operated with A320/321's and often sold out. They then cut it to 3 weekly rotations and 6 months later closed it completely. Austrian has the hole time had 3 daily rotations between CPH-VIE and ARN-VIE. Some days they are now flying 4 daily rotations. They operate with the same type of birds, and also often have sold out flights.
If you want to book a flight CPH-VIE or ARN-VIE through SK, you will only get options to fly through FRA, or in rare cases CPH-ARN-VIE or ARN-CPH-VIE, but never CPN-VIE or ARN-VIE. Result. I'm offcource booking directly on Austrian.
I‘m also traveling to Vienna a lot and yes... always full, for years. But even in the days SK had flights, OS was always so much cheaper that I rarely ended on SK metal
SK2751 likes this.

Last edited by fassy; Jan 30, 2019 at 7:06 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by fassy
well, I’d rather fly AAR-FRA/CDG/AMS/LHR-‚x destinations in the US‘ than AAR-EWR-‘crappy-domestic-US-flight’ any day. I rather have a short leg to start and then the long TATL flight direct to my final destination. Something LH/KL/BA/AF can offer and SK will never be able to compete on this market. Far better option would be to increase rotations from AAR or BLL to CPH. And since that obviously is not commercial attractive, otherwise they would have done this long ago, I don't believe Jytland being a huge market.

You need to understand the logistics in Jutland. Both AAR and BLL are kind of in the middle of nowhere, and is pretty hard to get to without a car. Driving 3-4 hours and then take a 1 hour flight to CPH + boarding time etc. doesn't really add up when you can take the train from almost anywhere in Jutland and directly to the airport in 6 hours max. Taking the car to AAR, and then a direct flight to EWR could cut up to 4 hours, and might make sense for a lot of the people living in Jutland (I used to live more or less in the middle between BLL and AAR), but I would personally prefer to take the train to CPH and from there the widebody's to EWR. I hate the small birds.

Look at Germany. Only FRA and MUC and are *real* international long-haul airports, not even HAM. For a city of that importance for touristic activity and business. DUS, TXL and some other play in the HAM region.

LH has quite a number of longhaul destinations from DUS. I often heae it referred to as the third hub in Germany.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Jan 30, 2019 at 10:00 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:34 am

There also a decent number of long haul flights from HAM but still HAM and DUS do not play in the same league as FRA or MUC.

When I lived in Germany, I also had to drive 3 to 4 hrs to FRA for international long haul flights since the DUS flights didn’t help much.

Or 1,5hrs to HAJ, 2,5hrs flight (including check-in, waiting etc) to FRA/MUC a n hour to three hours layover, often longer)...

Still, nobody would think to make a HAJ-EWR flight, even though Hanover, Braunschweig, Wolfsburg, Bielefeld, Osnabrück, and the big open of Lower Saxony and NRW etc would together have much more potential than Jutland.

Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: More than one
When I lived in Germany, I also had to drive 3 to 4 hrs to FRA for international long haul flights since the DUS flights didn’t help much.
With AAR-EWR we are talking about going from 3-4 hours drive - short haul flight - couple of hours wait time - long haul flight to 3-4 hours drive - long haul flight.

I understand why there is talk about the route, but as most other in this tread, I doubt there is a real demand for it. The route will definitely only be possible with the A321LR's and not on a daily rotation.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:13 am

With AAR-EWR we are talking about going from 3-4 hours drive - short haul flight - couple of hours wait time - long haul flight to 3-4 hours drive - long haul flight.
I bet you can get to CPH from almost everywhere in Danmark with 3 to 4hrs drive. Perhaps 4.5hrs for people living north of Aalborg, but for the rest under 4 hrs.

The route will definitely only be possible with the A321LR's and not on a daily rotation.
Which then makes it unattractive for business travelers. At least for me. When they did cut back CPH-BOS-CPH, I had to switch over back to LH as I could not manage to travel on the days SK deems to be travel worthy. Btw, the 737 was always pretty empty, just once 70% loaded. Would be interesting to see how the wide-body is doing nowadays. I bet, not to great either.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
A little more info.

Rickard Gustafson tells Flight Global, that the airline intends to use the A321LRs as a “starting point, a test-bench” in order to “see what type of response we get from the market”.

It is considering using the aircraft to provide more direct long-haul connectivity from Scandinavia, linking secondary cities in the region to primary destinations on its network. While Gustafson says candidate routes have yet to be determined, he points to the examples of serving New York from Bergen or Aarhus.

He adds that the A321 can also help the carrier “adapt long-haul operations to seasonality”. “We can operate Boston with a widebody during summer,” he says. “But it’s not economical to do that during winter.” Combining a twin-aisle operation for the peak season with the A321LR during the low-demand periods would enable the airline to continue offering year-round service.

SAS will carry out an evaluation of the performance of the initial few aircraft and, says Gustafson according to Flight Global, “either scale up or scale down”.
w0r1dtrave1er likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:06 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
This sounds really exciting! I can't wait to see the seat configuration in C! (I am suspecting a configuration similar to the one BA has on some of their international A321 with the Thompson vantage seats, i.e 2-1, 1-2). Very exciting indeed.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Nick Art
This sounds really exciting! I can't wait to see the seat configuration in C! (I am suspecting a configuration similar to the one BA has on some of their international A321 with the Thompson vantage seats, i.e 2-1, 1-2). Very exciting indeed.
Both the B/E Diamond and Cirrus reverse herringbone seats fit very well in an A321, and would be preferable to the Vantage seats. Time will tell what they go for.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:02 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Both the B/E Diamond and Cirrus reverse herringbone seats fit very well in an A321, and would be preferable to the Vantage seats. Time will tell what they go for.
I don’t like the Diamond seats that much tbh, and I don’t think we will get a 1-1 layout with herringbone seats either...

So for me Herringbone seats sound the best way to go as they will include some sing window/aisle seats
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Nick Art

I don’t like the Diamond seats that much tbh, and I don’t think we will get a 1-1 layout with herringbone seats either...

So for me Herringbone seats sound the best way to go as they will include some sing window/aisle seats
I am not a huge fan of the Diamond seat in general, but in the A321 they do a better job than the standard Vantage seat in my opinion.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
I'm looking at the departures list for AAR for tomorrow (Sunday), and there are a total of 10 scheduled departures for the entire day. CPHx4, Madeira, MUC, London, ARN, Gdansk, and OSL. Can this airport really support transatlantic service if it can only support 10 flights/day within Europe?

To put it in perspective, even a small airport in the US like AVP (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennslyvania) and I see 7 flights departing tomorrow just before 8am... and no one would ever suggest trans-atlantic (or even trans-continental) service from there.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfidler
I'm looking at the departures list for AAR for tomorrow (Sunday), and there are a total of 10 scheduled departures for the entire day. CPHx4, Madeira, MUC, London, ARN, Gdansk, and OSL. Can this airport really support transatlantic service if it can only support 10 flights/day within Europe?

To put it in perspective, even a small airport in the US like AVP (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennslyvania) and I see 7 flights departing tomorrow just before 8am... and no one would ever suggest trans-atlantic (or even trans-continental) service from there.
There is a big difference, in that for domestic flights there is only really two destinations it would make sense to fly to from AAR and one does not offer a direct flight. So domestic departures are quite limited at AAR.

For international connections BLL seems to take most of the attention, and as AAR is not well placed compared to the city the drive to is probably only 20 to 30 minutes longer to BLL for quite a bit of the city. Making it fairly difficult for the run down place AAR is to compete effectively at attracting airlines compared to BLL.

What are the departure numbers for a Monday?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by jfidler

You could also put it in this way: For tomorrow, 11 March, AVP has 0 international flights, while AAR has 10 international flights (two each for OSL, STO, GOT and LON, and one each for MUC and BER). So, mathematically, introducing another international flight from AAR makes infinitely more sense (literally ∞) than introducing the first international flight out of AVP.

According to the flight map on the airport web site, AAR has international flights to 21 destinations. SAS alone has 10 international destinations from AAR according to Wikipedia (FAO, AGP, MAN, MUC, OSL, ARN, NCE, PMI, SPU, FCO).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:07 am

Does the Vantage XL fit on an NB. Agree standard Vantage is not great and Cirrus or Diamond would be better. That said, not a fan of the Diamond seat given the fixed table, and SK could always opt for the AY version of the Cirrus which is incredibly uncomfortable.

That said, I do not understand SKs rationale here. Surely opening up more primary departure points in Scandinavia is just silly? For an an airline of its size they’re already running a highly deconsolidated model which leads to higher costs. Now want to open up from BGO or AAR? Surely if anything it should be routes from OSL or thinner routes from CPH? Or ARN. I really do not believe that the yields of a direct flight from BGO are so high as to warrant a direct flight. They should accept some market share is lost to DY but chasing trashy yields isn’t the way to go. I don’t think fares from OSL are that high to eg EWR so don’t understand what they will achieve in BGO.

Instead they should take a leaf out of BAs book, the 787 have opened routes they thought were commercially unviable, and in certain cases led to upgauging to a 77W or 747, their highest capacity aircrafts. In my view that’s the strategy to focus on from their already too many hubs model...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Didn't Norwegian just fall flat on their face trying to make 7M8 service work to small village airports on the US east coast? I like the idea of downgauging some routes during the offseason, but intercont service from secondary towns in Scandic? Thats just a subsidy grabbing scam...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.