Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 A321LR for SAS from H1 2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
In simplistic terms I've never understood why SAS does not route long haul eastbound from ARN and westbound from CPH or OSL depending on which has the biggest home market. If I were ARN based and going east, returning to CPH would be a big no and I would choose another airline and if I wanted a local connection I would choose AY. Sweden is the biggest single market of the Scandinavian countries and yet nothing operates from there and SAS have failed to exploit it.
In simplistic terms. They have tried and the economics don’t work. Other airlines also don’t seem to be able to make those routes work.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The team deciding where the new A321 should fly have access to the data via the IATA BSP. They can see exactly what seats were sold on certain city pairs. BOS is a weird market. Even though Norwegian was pumping in seats into the region from various EU places, the majors still fly big planes into BOS. LH just decided to send a A380 there next summer.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
SAS is a tiny airline and they can’t support three long haul hubs to start off with. If a long haul flight is to survive it needs sufficient O&D as well as good feed at least in one end. SAS’ connectivity ex OSL and ARN is terrible unless you have a domestic connection. Moscow, St Petersburg, the Baltics, the UK and northern continental Europe are natural feeder areas for SAS but what sort of connections do they offer for their longhaul flights? Apart from London, there are no flights arriving in time to catch EWR or MIA without staying overnight.
Similarly for ORD and LAX. Speaking about O&D traffic, I remember reading somewhere that the trip for 2 out of 3 passengers on long haul flights either does not begin at the airport of origin or does not end at the destination of that flight (or both). Even cities larger than Stockholm struggle to fill long-haul flight with just locals...

In the meanwhile SAS has been operating long-haul routes
1. at times impossible for connections, excluding all potential transfer passengers
2. from an airport where one of the few LCCs that offered long-haul flights was super active in most of the past years
3. while offering unattractive prices
4. and a most unappealing experience in the Y cabin

So being able to run high load factors on these routes despite all of the above gives just a glimpse of how things could be if simply SAS scheduled their ARN departures at more reasonable times, especially now that DY is out. (Just that, without even adding to the equation "and if they also offered a decent --not even good, just decent-- Y product, and slightly better soft product on their premium classes" as I have long given up hope that this will happen...)
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by East_and_West
Similarly for ORD and LAX. Speaking about O&D traffic, I remember reading somewhere that the trip for 2 out of 3 passengers on long haul flights either does not begin at the airport of origin or does not end at the destination of that flight (or both). Even cities larger than Stockholm struggle to fill long-haul flight with just locals...

Its worse: in normal hubs the transit pax ratio is often 50:50. You need a massive feeder network to your hub(s) to consistently fill all cabins on longhaul flights.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Almost all those airlines have been in ARN for years, and all the connecting airports have connections to CPH too. All in all, ARN have totally lost long haul routes over the last couple of years. There has been more airlines moving out of ARN than comming in, and those in ARN have reduced their frequency and destinations more than they have increased it.
When I first moved to Sweden back in 2003, the following long-haul routes existed at ARN:
SK to EWR and ORD
CO to EWR
TG to BKK
CA to PEK
MH KUL-ARN-EWR

MH cut their route (only one of many routes which they were forced to cut), and CO became UA. But in the years since then, the following routes were added and still exist today:

ET to ADD in 2003 (now daily)
QR to DOH in 2007 (now up to 3x daily)
EK to DXB in 2013 (now up to 2x daily)
AI to DEL in 2017
SQ to SIN in 2017
MU to PVG in 2018
NH to HND in 2020

Some other routes were added but then later removed, such as a lot of DY routes, DL to ATL and JFK, US to PHL.

So, while lots of routes have been added, SAS has basically only increased with one destination: MIA.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Which means that SAS' yield is probably in the dumps because they still fly around with gas guzzling A343, have high crew costs and just spend a lot of cash refurbishing the interiors.
While it is true that the A343 is a gas guzzler compared to airplane like the B787 or A350, it is quite okay compared to the B77E, B763 and B744, and SAS has plenty of competitors that still fly A343, B763, B744 and B77E.

In simplistic terms I've never understood why SAS does not route long haul eastbound from ARN and westbound from CPH or OSL depending on which has the biggest home market. If I were ARN based and going east, returning to CPH would be a big no and I would choose another airline and if I wanted a local connection I would choose AY. Sweden is the biggest single market of the Scandinavian countries and yet nothing operates from there and SAS have failed to exploit it.
When SAS was first formed, it was decided that Norway would get the language, Sweden the headquarters, and Denmark the long-haul hub. At that time, it made a lot of sense, since all long-haul flights to Asia refueled in the Middle East, flights to North American refueled at Shannon, and SAS also had flights to Africa and South America. Nowadays, it would make sense to do as you suggest, but the problem is that the infrastructure for long-haul out of CPH already exists, including the feeder flights to various European destinations.

Originally Posted by ScandiGB
- no US carriers flying anywhere SAS is not flying. Not a single US carrier has a flight to a large hub (other than United’s flight to Stockholm). Not a single west coast flight. If it is such a good business case why is SAS moving the flight and nobody filling it?
- Iceland-air has a business model based on fuel savings. They have one narrow-body departure daily. Hardly a meaningful comparison.
- some carriers with significantly lower staff costs having a few weekly departures (China eastern, Thai, Ethiopian etc).

The data points would indicate it is difficult in Stockholm. Airlines are closing routes. This has been true for Norwegian (all routes), SAS (Hong Kong, LA), Delta (Atlanta) etc.

Needless to say you are right that demand will be served through hubs if direct routes are not profitable. That however does not make a direct route a viable alternative. The fact that Singapore, which you mention goes through Moscow is an interesting indication that a direct route is not viable.
Please note that DL cancelled their flights to ARN, and UA reduced their year-round EWR to a seasonal summer service, because they couldn't compete with DY. The simple truth is that it was very difficult for any airline to compete with DY's multiple daily flights out of ARN. Now that DY is cancelling their flights, I wouldn't be surprised to see UA returning to year-round, DL return, and perhaps even AA if we're lucky.

Last summer, Icelandair had up to 3 daily flights on the B752, B753 and B763, and most of those passengers continue to the U.S.A.

Both Thai and Ethiopian have daily departures.

Norwegian has lost a lot of money on their long-haul venture, so it's not surprising that they're closing routes from ARN and CPH. You shouldn't take their cancellation as an indication of the opportunities at ARN.

The SQ flight ARN-DME-SIN is a direct route as it's the same plane and same flight number.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The ME3 and the *A/ST/OW cartels have consistently and brutally attacked the Nordic market with super low premium fares both to Asia as well as S./N. America. SAS is doing the same in the home markets of AF-KL, LH and BA. Which means that SAS' yield is probably in the dumps because they still fly around with gas guzzling A343, have high crew costs and just spend a lot of cash refurbishing the interiors.
SAS' yield is doing quite good at present - at average at least. Don't know about long haul separatly, though.

For the A340's I'm quite sure they are a good businesscase with oilprices in their 60's.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by RedChili
When I first moved to Sweden back in 2003, the following long-haul routes existed at ARN:
So, while lots of routes have been added, SAS has basically only increased with one destination: MIA.
Your are talking since 2003, I wrote the last couple of years. We are not talking about the same period. If you go back to 2003, you also need to add the SK route ARN-PEK, ARN-LAX and probably other which all has existed at some point in time between 2003 and now.

The SQ flight ARN-DME-SIN is a direct route as it's the same plane and same flight number.
SQ is doing CPH-SIN direct without stop over. There is no reason to do a stop over on ARN-SIN unless it's because you can't fill the bird when doing ARN-SIN direct.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Your are talking since 2003, I wrote the last couple of years. We are not talking about the same period. If you go back to 2003, you also need to add the SK route ARN-PEK, ARN-LAX and probably other which all has existed at some point in time between 2003 and now.

SQ is doing CPH-SIN direct without stop over. There is no reason to do a stop over on ARN-SIN unless it's because you can't fill the bird when doing ARN-SIN direct.
Well, if we're talking the last couple of years: Since 2017, flights have been added by SQ SIN, AI DEL, and MU PVG, while ADD has become a daily nonstop instead of one-stop via VIE, DXB has gone double daily, and DOH has increased from (IIRC) 10 per week to 17 per week.

Since 2003, SAS has operated and cancelled routes from ARN to PEK, BKK, HKG and LAX.

SQ has a history of double destination flights in Europe. For them, it's quite normal to launch a flight in this way. Personally, I think that they would get more passengers from ARN if they made it into a nonstop.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For nearly 40% of the Swedish flying public, CPH is probably at least as convenient as ARN. For those in the coastal west of Sweden and in the southern parts of Sweden, CPH works better than ARN for most of their travels.

SAS has tried a lot of things with ARN long-haul over they years, but it just doesn’t seem to work for SAS. And now with so many other carriers having taken the non-EU, immigrant-related VFR and other leisure long-haul traffic to warmer climates in and around the “Old World”, SAS seems to be left to hunker down into CPH and have the US be it’s last great hope for long-haul success overall.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBG
I dont think its fair to add DXB and DOH to the list of long-haul flights:
1. They are not that long...
2. Its transfer destinations, and therefore, in my mind, the reason for why there isn't more real Asian Long-haul out of ARN (and a lot of other airports as well)
ScandiGB likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:16 am
Suspended

Well, if we're talking the last couple of years: Since 2017, flights have been added by SQ SIN, AI DEL, and MU PVG, while ADD has become a daily nonstop instead of one-stop via VIE, DXB has gone double daily, and DOH has increased from (IIRC) 10 per week to 17 per week.

Since 2003, SAS has operated and cancelled routes from ARN to PEK, BKK, HKG and LAX.

SQ has a history of double destination flights in Europe. For them, it's quite normal to launch a flight in this way. Personally, I think that they would get more passengers from ARN if they made it into a nonstop.
CPH has seen way more international long-haul capacity come to it from non-EU carriers than ARN has. And given how DL and CO/UA have dealt with ARN and with CPH — with or without Norwegian in the picture for long-haul service covering the same city pairs (distinct from same airport pairs) or anything else in this century — and given all the other non-EU long-haul carrier activity I’ve seen at ARN and CPH, I think it is pretty clear to me that: ARN struggles more than CPH for a variety of reasons that aren’t a product of Norwegian; and SK and ARN will continue to struggle with long-haul flights operated out of ARN by high cost flight/cabin crews even as SK’s fuel and plane costs may be in the same range as those non-EU long-haul flying carriers serving the big three SK hubs.

ARN won’t be able to do for SK what CPH can do for it. And that’s not going to change anytime soon.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 3:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MatthiasWagner
I dont think its fair to add DXB and DOH to the list of long-haul flights:
1. They are not that long...
2. Its transfer destinations, and therefore, in my mind, the reason for why there isn't more real Asian Long-haul out of ARN (and a lot of other airports as well)
2800 to 3000 miles — not Swedish miles — is also long-haul service as far as I’m concerned. 5+ hours at a stretch? That’s way better characterized as long-haul than as short-haul.

IST, DOH, DXB, AUH aren’t the only reason why SK struggles with Asia service. The other Star Alliance carriers, the Oneworld carriers and the SkyTeam carriers are eating massively into SK’s home markets when it comes to Asia and Africa and even North America.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
I agree. I would like to visit Singapore (and points beyond), I would like to try SQ, and I would like to try their A350, but the fact that it is not a nonstop discourages me. If forced to accept some form of stopover, I would rather layover in Doha or Dubai than Moscow. Heck, I would even rather risk a bus ride while transferring at FRA mid-winter.
SK2751 and ScandiGB like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: SK Pandion, BA Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
SAS seems to be left to hunker down into CPH and have the US be it’s last great hope for long-haul success overall.
That looks a bit tough on airline which has grown its long haul fleet by c50% in the last 5-6 years, is introducing the A321LR and has A350s being delivered.

I think it will be interesting whether the A350s will “only” replace the a340s or also partially be additional capacity. Similarly it will be interesting to see if the options for more A350s are exercised.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScandiGB
That looks a bit tough on airline which has grown its long haul fleet by c50% in the last 5-6 years, is introducing the A321LR and has A350s being delivered.

I think it will be interesting whether the A350s will “only” replace the a340s or also partially be additional capacity. Similarly it will be interesting to see if the options for more A350s are exercised.
Sure, but it’s also a game of “you grow or you’re beyond your prime and are prey”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.