Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SAS long haul routes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:38 am

A wild idea:

SVG-IAH is moved to CPH-IAH with a wide body (SVG-IAH is clearly not a success - and IAH could serve as access point to the latin american market)

OSL-MIA (it seem like SAS has committed themselves to a IC routes from OSL)

ARN-SFO (CPH-SFO seems to be very successfull - and if I remember the SAS quotes right, they stated their most successfull IC start up in a long time)

The 737 all biz is moved to SK901/902 all year service (believe it is leased on a 3 year contract.

Could also speculate that they have ARN-HKG on the radar screen, to do something, either on timing or routing. Bookings seems not to be as expected (with all the summer and EB deals lately). The last two IC route launches from ARN did not sucdeed (PEK and BKK).

Dont believe in BOS (to few onward connection options from BOS. DEL has been tried a couple of times - miserable failures both times.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:57 am

Still have hopes up for CPT or JNB.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UltraRant
It's more about feeding the hub and delivering transit passengers to UA routes, like what happens now to EWR, IAD, ORD and SFO. A relatively small part of the passengers really aims for the final destination, many fly (ski?) onward.
I don't think that statement is really true for EWR and SFO. Those are definitely destinations over transfer airports.

DEN is a major destination for telecommunication travel as well, though unlikely for SK.

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
A wild idea:
SVG-IAH is moved to CPH-IAH with a wide body (SVG-IAH is clearly not a success - and IAH could serve as access point to the latin american market)

OSL-MIA (it seem like SAS has committed themselves to a IC routes from OSL)

ARN-SFO (CPH-SFO seems to be very successfull - and if I remember the SAS quotes right, they stated their most successfull IC start up in a long time)
I find this a very likely wild idea. Would be appreciated not having to transfer an entire B737 or A320 onto SK935 every day.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I don't see that MIA route any time soon, as Bjørn already started with some routes to Florida ex OSL. It's mainly leisure traffic...

ARN-SFO might indeed be a good shot!

The main issue with the oil route is that, now that it finally got introduced after 40 years of talking about it, oil prices crashed and the whole oil industry in Norway is throwing out people big time. Business class travel on direct flights isn't priority number one: trying to keep your job is. Not sure if an extra daily departure between CPH and EWR on a 737 all business configuration would gain enough revenue...

Due to the significantly changed market circumstances, I'd still set for a route to DEL, actually. the population from India and Pakistan seems to grow exponentially (thus the possible market) in Scandinavia and they now have a partner hub at DEL with Air India. Also, it's now easier than ever for Pakistani to travel via DEL to Pakistan. And PIA seems to be making a very good deal out of their routes between Scandinavia and the Indian peninsula...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nacho
Make sense to fly into LAX, not sure about DEN (more like a skiing route).
No no no... DEN makes much more sense.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
DU or DY?
DU. Which is Norwegian Long Haul
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:58 am

DY is actually working on more routes. They also plan flights LGW-BOS for what I read in their last in flight magazine.
4 weekly LGW-BOS has been confirmed. Which means daily flights from UK/N/DK combined.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:45 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Big press event this week, stay tuned!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:03 pm

I guess that will be tomorrow noon...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
I thought SK flies to Houston already. GUM is possible if they continue from NRT, or extend NRT to Hawaii. Make sense to fly into LAX, not sure about DEN (more like a skiing route).
DEN is not a skiing route it is one of UA's hubs and offers a huge number of connections. Far more connections than UA have at LAX.

HNL is a far too long a flight for a tag on from NRT. Also GUM is doubtful as the crew woul need yo be changed in NRT in both directions.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:23 pm

What an activity in this thread.... But I guess we only have a few hours left for our dreams and guesses.

Anyway. One Danish travel site yesterday seemed to have an indication, that two routes will be announced, and that one of them –as opposed to earlier statements – will be from CPH.

We will see..
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Lunch with SAS CEO planned for today ^

Excited about new routes - just a few more hours now...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
I don't see that MIA route any time soon, as Bjørn already started with some routes to Florida ex OSL. It's mainly leisure traffic...

Regardless, the market is significantly large, much larger than SF, LA, Houston, etc., and SAS needs to fly to where Scandinavians wants to go in order to protect its market. Only New York and Bangkok see more long-haul traffic from Scandinavia than Miami.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Regardless, the market is significantly large, much larger than SF, LA, Houston, etc., and SAS needs to fly to where Scandinavians wants to go in order to protect its market. Only New York and Bangkok see more long-haul traffic from Scandinavia than Miami.

Indeed, but only if SAS can serve the market easily and profitably.

Keep in mind what has happened to SK service to Bangkok, a market where it was such a leader that even the creation of Thai (TG) is due to SAS.

And with DY heavily involved already with Scandinavia-Florida traffic, SK may have its work cut out for it. A lot of the Scandinavian MIA traffic is really less about visiting just MIA than it is about visiting elsewhere in Florida even when using Miami as the U.S. POE.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
Dont believe in BOS (to few onward connection options from BOS. DEL has been tried a couple of times - miserable failures both times.
If SK were to codeshare with JetBlue, it may fly better. That said, DY is jumping into BOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.