Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SAS long haul routes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I guess it's not just shipping those spare parts, but first getting hold of them. SK might not have a too big spare part stock laying around.
Sure, but as I said that would be a problem all over the world - not just for BKK.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by nacho
10 hours is a lot - most of the long haul I flew from HKG have about 6 hours turnaround time (gets in at HKG around 16-17 and depart from 23-midnight-ish).

I definitely think there should be a market for BKK it's still a popular tourist destination - TK has 2 flights going there per day (not sure it's 7 days/week though).
The ARN-HKG-service is doing the turnaround in 1:30 (at HKG).
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Very optimistic... asking for a lot of trouble...
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
I think they've seen with DY that turnaround times of 1,5 hours on long haul are not just feasible and trouble free, but also a good way to keep you customers satisfied and get good media coverage...
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
NRT is doing 2h 5m, which generally is not giving issues. And NRT can offer some pretty long taxi times if you land in the "wrong" direction on the "wrong" runway. "wrong" compared to the terminal...
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Originally Posted by fassy
Very optimistic... asking for a lot of trouble...
That's insane - the only way they can make it was not to move the aircraft after it's parked (flights like AF chose to let pax off at gates that are close to immigration and tow the plane to another gate because it's close to AF lounge).

People are more efficient in Hong Kong, but cleaning a plane requires more than 1:30 - unless they have a lot of people doing it together which I doubt that it's the case.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
It is not uncommon in Asia, AY's HEL-NRT makes a 1:45 turn-around and they do something similar on HEL-ICN.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
That's insane - the only way they can make it was not to move the aircraft after it's parked (flights like AF chose to let pax off at gates that are close to immigration and tow the plane to another gate because it's close to AF lounge).

People are more efficient in Hong Kong, but cleaning a plane requires more than 1:30 - unless they have a lot of people doing it together which I doubt that it's the case.
AF really go through that regularly? Does the bird anyway have a long enough ground time to have to leave the arrival gate in between flights?
Otherwise no real reason for that. And with 1:30 I am sure SK will not start that process....
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
AF really go through that regularly? Does the bird anyway have a long enough ground time to have to leave the arrival gate in between flights?
Otherwise no real reason for that. And with 1:30 I am sure SK will not start that process....
Yes, you are right, that happens as AF has a 5,5 hour turn around and needs to vacate the gate in-between. They are going for a night flight both ways.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
Yes please!!
Originally Posted by Oflyt
That would be awesome! Would love to read a trip report. Pictures are welcome
Better late than never, here's a link to the first iteration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post25135733
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: SK-EBD
New SAS long haul routes?

Announcement may come this week, but not real good news (if one hope for SK-Boston-route), that DU will start CPH-BOS (1 weekly) in addition to OSL-BOS (2).
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
DU or DY?

While an SK route to BOS would be useful occasionally, they have enough flights to the North East of the US as it is. I certainly hope SK is looking to the South and West of the US.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:06 am

Would be interesting to see what defunct Hemus Air makes of that route.

DY is actually working on more routes. They also plan flights LGW-BOS for what I read in their last in flight magazine (besides having just introduced flights to the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico). They're apparently also still considering flying directly to Hawaii.

I wouldn't count on an SK flight to BOS anytime soon, as SK tends to fly to UA hubs only. That's why I assume next SK long haul will be to DEN, LAX or IAH (or... go crazy: GUM).
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by UltraRant
I wouldn't count on an SK flight to BOS anytime soon, as SK tends to fly to UA hubs only. That's why I assume next SK long haul will be to DEN, LAX or IAH (or... go crazy: GUM).
I thought SK flies to Houston already. GUM is possible if they continue from NRT, or extend NRT to Hawaii. Make sense to fly into LAX, not sure about DEN (more like a skiing route).
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:11 am

I thought SK flies to Houston already.
Only on a dedicated oil route with a special 737-700 between SVG and IAH. Any other traffic from the big hubs (CPH, ARN and OSL) should probably cater a different audience.

Make sense to fly into LAX, not sure about DEN (more like a skiing route).
It's more about feeding the hub and delivering transit passengers to UA routes, like what happens now to EWR, IAD, ORD and SFO. A relatively small part of the passengers really aims for the final destination, many fly (ski?) onward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.