Wiki Posts
Search

New SAS long haul routes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by UltraRant
The problem with that is that there's also a lot of competition on the route, which makes that prices will generally remain low. In that case the price difference with a legacy carrier and a price fighter will generally be so little (and sometimes completely vanished by additional services like luggage, meals, seat belts, etc) that most people will stick to 'their' carrier where they for example have status, have company agreements, are used to fly with or have heard about the 'dangers' of flying lcc's.

This is also why I was a tad surprised to find that SK will fly to HKG. There's no *A hub there, there's massive competition to the place and, for what I know, slots are quite expensive. I have the feeling the route won't be established as fast as the SFO route...
I was too when I saw it. During low season and school holidays I'm looking at 3500 SEK per ticket with TK to HKG. I am with TK and not based in ARN and I can't stand day flight if there is a choice (I think at 2000 SEK will change my view on that). I guess SK is targeting business traveller who have to travel on a specific date, and then fill the plane up with 3500 SEK tickets.

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
From bc.se:

"Rickard var nöjd med bokningsläget på Hong Kong-linjen och sa att den såg bättre ut än exempelvis linjerna till San Francisco och Shanghai gjorde vid motsvarande tidpunkt, alltså knappt en månad innan lansering"

TLDR translation, HKG is looking good on paper.

My employer has booked tickets for a considerable amount of $$$$$ already. A direct ARN-HKG route greatly improves travel time and experience compared to connecting in LHR/FRA/ZUR. While some people don't like the timing, for Stockholm based travellers they are excellent.
It's great if you have a 10am meeting in Hong Kong, and you are forced to stay overnight in Hong Kong which is a great perk I guess.

You can also connect via HEL unless you have to travel on *A.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nacho
You can also connect via HEL unless you have to travel on *A.
I dislike the timing of the AY flight because I lose the entire next day in HKG.

The reality of a 23:40 departure from HEL is a 18:10 feeder (can't risk the last flight with only a 50 minute transfer window). Which means you end up straight in Stockholm traffic congestion, so I need to leave earlier and also lose that day in Europe. Might as well take the 15:00 SK flight and have the whole next day in HKG with a much easier time on the jetlag.

The reindeer for dinner makes it tempting nonetheless.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: SK-EBD
3 new routes ex CPH

3 new year-round routes from CPH will be opened with the S16 timetable: Reykjavik, Vienna and Krakow.

Edit:
Sorry. Wrong thread to put this one.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boston too ex-CPH.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
3 new year-round routes from CPH will be opened with the S16 timetable: Reykjavik, Vienna and Krakow.

Edit:
Sorry. Wrong thread to put this one.
Vienna - why? OS and AB are already doing the route, wonder if there is more demand for that.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Vienna - why? OS and AB are already doing the route, wonder if there is more demand for that.
Is AB having a direct? (FlyNiki) Last I needed Vienna (this September) they only offered connections...
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Is AB having a direct? (FlyNiki) Last I needed Vienna (this September) they only offered connections...
No only via DUS or TXL

Last edited by FT Guest xyzpdq; Oct 11, 2015 at 9:39 am
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
No only via DUS og TXL
I thought as much....
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They must have cancelled the route. Used Niki to VIE from CPH a couple of years back.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
FlyNiki still does ARN-VIE, along with 3x OS departures and some odd-ball Ethiopian flight that makes a stop-over in VIE.

SK pulled out of the ARN-VIE route last year, so having at least a CPH route makes sense I guess. I like flying OS so wouldn't use SK on this route, but there are always corporate clients and inexperienced flyers who will default to SK.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
I like flying OS so wouldn't use SK on this route, but there are always corporate clients and inexperienced flyers who will default to SK.
Thanks... I´m experienced flyer and do prefer SK over DY and AY from Finland. Also have flown OS when they operated to HEL, it was ok to fly with them with F70, but still prefer SK over OS, AY, DY, LH for their seamless frequent traveler product which is far better than AY, DY in Intra Europe. LH is dull nowadays, transfer in ARN/CPH/OSL are better for me than it was in FRA/MUC. I travel in Plus mainly. Just my cup of tea. And SK crew is good so far.

Last edited by Abducted Alien; Oct 9, 2015 at 7:05 am Reason: cat on keyboard
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:10 am

They must have cancelled the route. Used Niki to VIE from CPH a couple of years back.
They cancelled the route I think in autumn/winter 2014
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:20 am
Suspended

Actually, since you're counting with connections, BA, Turkish Airlines and Aeroflot offer this, too.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:25 pm

As I said, I fly a lot CPH VIE and the OS birds are almost always 95% loaded. So far I always managed to get a seat but I would say it is the only route where I got pretty consistent opup change of about 75% as I usually buy last minute = expensive booking class and plane is full

Also the timings are not always that great... but so far worked for me. Some competition there can't hurt.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by oliver2002
From the PRelease:
"Autum"-startup for the MIA-route seems now to be Sep. 28.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.