FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   SAS | EuroBonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus-499/)
-   -   New SAS long haul routes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-eurobonus/1690261-new-sas-long-haul-routes.html)

danishpatches Jun 25, 2015 12:25 am

New SAS long haul routes?

Via check-in.dk.

TL;DR: Looks like new long-haul routes from CPH/ARN/OSL could possibly have (any?) of these candidates: MIA, LAX, SFO, SHA, SIN, HKG, MCO, BOS, MNL, HOU, ICN, SGN.

w0r1dtrave1er Jun 25, 2015 12:31 am

that's a few days old. heavy speculation is LAX. MCO/MIA is logical. I'd love to see ICN

nacho Jun 26, 2015 2:20 am

HKG will start this autumn, IAH is there already. LAX is served by DY already from CPH.

Not sure they will do ICN due to the MERS outbreak.

Maybe SYD with a stop over in KUL? Since MH stopped ARN to KUL.

MIA would definitely be a possibility especially during winter.

aznhandles Jun 26, 2015 4:45 am

KUL is mentioned as "disqualified" according so SK themselves.. The demand for KUL isn't quite strong compared to other routes mentioned at top.

CPH-Flyer Jun 27, 2015 1:53 am

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 25029374)

Not sure they will do ICN due to the MERS outbreak.

MERS is a) mainly media fear mongering b) likely to be over long before the route opens.

I don't see that as a reason not to open ICN.

mosburger Jul 4, 2015 10:52 am

MCO from either ARN or CPH would be perfect!

UltraRant Jul 4, 2015 12:52 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it would be a new service to LAX or increased services to SFO or IAH. I wouldn't even be surprised if it would be a new route to DEN. So far, SK is flying exclusively into UA hubs and, based on my observations, a lot of people fly on with UA to other destinations.

That is also why I can imagine a destination like ICN, as OZ has a hub there.

I deem MIA and MCO less plausible, due to the absence of such hub traffic and Bjørn already flying somewhere near. Bjørn and TG flying directly to BKK was already enough for SK to close down their connection to BKK...

A new service to PVG (SHA) is feasible, I think, as I know that for example a lot of Norwegian companies from the Oslo area have offices there as well (including my employer) and nowadays generate a lot of traffic via CPH. Most likely a direct flight would be preferred over a stopover, unless some colleagues need a mileage run...

SIN is a *A hub, but there are already way too many competitors flying there (most have a significantly better product to offer), and prices there are always extremely reasonable, so I don't think there's much of a chance or much revenue there for SK.

BOS would be a mystery to me. Why do it? It's very close to NYC, there's no partner hub and I wonder if there's enough business to keep the route profitable. KUL is already disqualified, probably because of profitability prognosis. Same goes for MNL. Would love it, but apart from some vacation travel and a few one way tickets for imported brides... I'm not sure if there's enough to gain there for SK.

I personally would have investigated the opportunity to fly to the Indian peninsula. There are hordes of people from Pakistan and India living in Scandinavia who now either have to fly with a connection or are in the hands of PIA. I do know a few of them and they entrusted me that they regularly pay about 10.000 kroner for a return to Pakistan in economy, just to be on a direct flight. Now that Air India is a *A member, it'd mean quite some connecting partner hub traffic as well. And the legs are relatively short for long haul, which means some saving on wages, fuel, etc.

But I'm not SK. I don't understand their logic. :)

FlyerTalker01565 Jul 4, 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 25069169)

I personally would have investigated the opportunity to fly to the Indian peninsula. There are hordes of people from Pakistan and India living in Scandinavia who now either have to fly with a connection or are in the hands of PIA. I do know a few of them and they entrusted me that they regularly pay about 10.000 kroner for a return to Pakistan in economy, just to be on a direct flight. Now that Air India is a *A member, it'd mean quite some connecting partner hub traffic as well. And the legs are relatively short for long haul, which means some saving on wages, fuel, etc.

But I'm not SK. I don't understand their logic. :)

CPH-BOM would be unusually long-term oriented for SK, methinks? Anyway, I think Pakistani nationals must obtain visa even for transit in India, which would significantly reduce that part of a revenue stream for CPH-BOM.

From KLM:
https://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/t...subuser=KLMB2C

Also, great to see you back!

UltraRant Jul 4, 2015 3:56 pm

Not for transit, for what I see. From Timaticweb:

Nationals of Pakistan are only allowed to enter or transit through India if arriving at Chennai (MAA), Delhi (DEL) or Mumbai (BOM).
Apart from restricting SAS to those potential airports, I found no further restrictions on requiring a transit visa for a transit within the airports... Coincidentally, those airports seem to fit best to cater European airlines.

Anyway, go crazy, how about SAS flying a few times per week to Islamabad? :D

And thanks for the welcome back. I've been working a double job now for a few months and had no time for anything else, unfortunately... Anyway, I see you changed your name. Any particular reason? I thought penguins only lived on the southern hemisphere (and some nerdy ones in Finland)..

FlyerTalker01565 Jul 4, 2015 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 25069875)
Not for transit, for what I see. From Timaticweb:

Apart from restricting SAS to those potential airports, I found no further restrictions on requiring a transit visa for a transit within the airports... Coincidentally, those airports seem to fit best to cater European airlines.

I'm no expert at reading legalese (seriously, send me off to negotiate client contracts and boom, the client has reserved the right to audit our expenses ... true story from my first negotiation, very unpopular) ... but doesn't this say they do need a visa?

Originally Posted by KLM
Admission and Transit Restrictions:

- Nationals of Pakistan are only allowed to enter or transit

through India if arriving at Chennai (MAA), Delhi (DEL) or
Mumbai (BOM).
- Passengers arriving from Guinea, Liberia, Mali and Sierra
Leone must enter India through one of the following
airports: Bangalore (BLR), Chennai (MAA), Cochin (COK),
Delhi (DEL), Hyderabad (HYD), Kolkata (CCU) or Mumbai (BOM).
Admission is refused if arriving at any other airport.

Visa required.

Anyway, go crazy, how about SAS flying a few times per week to Islamabad? :D
If that would make them money, go for it! Lahore might be better?

And thanks for the welcome back. I've been working a double job now for a few months and had no time for anything else, unfortunately...
Halleluhja. Is that why you're as sad as me right now, working? I'm in a dreadful hotel in a strange city without a firm office = no distant colleagues to coerce into spending Saturday night getting me drunk. Hello, Solitude Saturday.

Anyway, I see you changed your name. Any particular reason? I thought penguins only came from Antarctica (and some nerdy ones from Finland)
It's an internal joke. I have a colleague here (no, I'm not giving out names) who's somewhat related to flying-other-animal (not Flyingmoose, we're not colleagues AFAIK). :)

UltraRant Jul 4, 2015 4:26 pm

Unfortunately, I do speak a bit of legalese nowadays (especially after dealing with some German unions) and for what I can see here, there is first of all no problem to transfer in those airports if the Pakistani does so without trying to enter India. It's just like us transiting in DXB or so.

For what I furthermore see, a transit visa is required in case a Pakistani wants to transfer from one of the mentioned airports to some other country via land or in such a way that entering India is required (transit visa via with very limited validity), or just to visit on a regular visa (tourist, business, private, whatsoever). In those cases entering India as a sovereign country is involved.

Having said this, it seems that getting a visa shouldn't be too hard for someone from Pakistan, given that Timaticweb mentions 10 year valid, multi entry tourist visas for them...

Either way, picking one of these airports would be a good one for SK, as it also allows Pakistani travelers to hop on board more easily.

And no, I'm not at work right now. Right now, I'm enjoying a 1,5 week of pure madness on a 'Discover Norway' ticket by Widerøe. The result is the same though: being by myself on a Saturday evening. :) And I'm not sad, I'm just not de-stressed yet. :)

I'll try to figure out which other flying animals we have on FlyerTalk... :)

FlyerTalker01565 Jul 4, 2015 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 25069974)
Unfortunately, I do speak a bit of legalese nowadays (especially after dealing with some German unions) and for what I can see here, there is first of all no problem to transfer in those airports if the Pakistani does so without trying to enter India. It's just like us transiting in DXB or so.

Well in that case, I support the India idea! And that's why the actual route chosen by SAS is probably going to be something entirely underwhelming and loss-making.

Let's bet on a 4xweek OSL-HKT (Phuket) route that's marginally profitable 4 weeks of the year and a daily ARN-SSH (Sharm El Sheikh), ditto outlook + PR scandals galore (dead tourists sell newspapers).

Why tourist destinations? Well, Eyvind said himself they're trying to make life better for frequent flyers and knowing SK, they'll do the exact opposite.

Have fun on your WF ticket. I'll come along next year, I really want to do that and see northern Norway. While not a fan of Oslo, I'm drawn by the Norwegian nature and that ticket is crazy value, it seems.

UltraRant Jul 5, 2015 2:30 pm

In that case they should reopen the route to BKK... Equally expensive as TG but the same experience as DY on the route. ;)

I'm in BOO now, will explore Lofoten for the rest of the week. The ticket is crazy value with just over 100 NOK per leg for me (regular lowest fare sales price would be 550 NOk per leg, which makes my savings around 15000 NOK). I'm considering of getting me a new one again next year for the far north. Maybe I should just open a new topic about this ticket and the experience in general?

FlyerTalker01565 Jul 5, 2015 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 25073409)
In that case they should reopen the route to BKK... Equally expensive as TG but the same experience as DY on the route. ;)

I'm in BOO now, will explore Lofoten for the rest of the week. The ticket is crazy value with just over 100 NOK per leg for me (regular lowest fare sales price would be 550 NOk per leg, which makes my savings around 15000 NOK). I'm considering of getting me a new one again next year for the far north. Maybe I should just open a new topic about this ticket and the experience in general?

Yes please!!

Oflyt Jul 6, 2015 7:54 am

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 25073409)

That would be awesome! Would love to read a trip report. Pictures are welcome ;)