Wiki Posts
Search

New SAS long haul routes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
. That said, DY is jumping into BOS.
Yes - and I personally love a direct route to BOS
Yes - but once a week from CPH (and twice a week from OSL) it is pure leisure. While timing on the CPH route is pretty nice - once a week is almost a joke.
And quite honestly DY long haul prices have been disappointingly high. Add in all the massive delays and DY inability to cope with it - I am more likely to continue to fly into EWR and drive up.

Hope to see some exciting news later on - but can't not see any news on upcomming press conferences.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:52 am

Soon to be working for a BOS based company, CPH-BOS would be highly appreciated - although LX going CPH-ZRH-BOS isn't too bad.

As long as DY will not improve on-time performance and IROPS handling I will not consider them for any long-haul travel - even if it could get mere there without a connection
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by fassy
- although LX going CPH-ZRH-BOS isn't too bad.
Love this route as well.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Can always use BA as well, its only a 6,5 hour flight from LHR. Along with the 1,5 hour jump from CPH you spend 2+ hours less in the air. Along with 4 daily departures instead of just 1 you're easily rebooked during IRROPS.

I have no problems getting to the North East of the US/Canada from Scandinavia, certainly hope SK is keeping their attention on MIA/IAH(or DAL) and SFO from ARN.

Wouldn't fly DY even if they paid me to.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Can always use BA as well, its only a 6,5 hour flight from LHR. Along with the 1,5 hour jump from CPH you spend 2+ hours less in the air. Along with 4 daily departures instead of just 1 you're easily rebooked during IRROPS.

I have no problems getting to the North East of the US/Canada from Scandinavia, certainly hope SK is keeping their attention on MIA/IAH(or DAL) and SFO from ARN.

Wouldn't fly DY even if they paid me to.
I completely agree with you. Though there is a part of me that can't help but be drawn to maybe booking ARN - OAK on DY just because it would be so nice to fly that route direct. I know the chances are slim but I am hoping for a flight to SFO with SK from ARN. One can dream, right?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by fassy

As long as DY will not improve on-time performance and IROPS handling I will not consider them for any long-haul travel - even if it could get mere there without a connection
My thoughts exactly. DY offers the long-awaited CPH-MCO direct route, but when faced with booking that with once-per-week Monday flights vs. connecting on SK and flying on days that work for me, I went with SK.

It's obviously a leisure route, but I don't know many vacation travelers who want to arrive in Orlando on Monday night at 9 pm, having 'lost' the weekend plus a full day. I was also concerned about IRROPS.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SusanDK
My thoughts exactly. DY offers the long-awaited CPH-MCO direct route, but when faced with booking that with once-per-week Monday flights vs. connecting on SK and flying on days that work for me, I went with SK.

It's obviously a leisure route, but I don't know many vacation travelers who want to arrive in Orlando on Monday night at 9 pm, having 'lost' the weekend plus a full day. I was also concerned about IRROPS.
For Disney or the other major Orlando-area attractions that attract legions of kids? Or for work conferences in the Orlando-area? Then I'd much rather start those attraction/conference visits on a Tuesday morning rather than on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or even Monday morning. That would mean a Monday evening arrival to one of the Orlando-area airports would be just fine.

With more than a month of paid vacation time, lots of national holidays, and rather flexible and very extensive paid parental leave for a lot of Scandinavians, a Monday evening to Monday evening Florida stay isn't a major problem or sub-optimization of vacation/leave time for a big chunk of the Scandinavian target market for Orlando.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 19, 2015 at 6:18 am
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:26 am

For Disney or the other major Orlando-area attractions that attract legions of kids? Or for work conferences in the Orlando-area? Then I'd much rather start those attraction/conference visits on a Tuesday morning rather than on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or even Monday morning. That would mean a Monday evening departure to one of the Orlando-area airports would be just fine.
Point taken. I was rather thinking that people with a traditional work week would prefer to get as many days of vacation as possible. We have a second home in the area (and don't do the attractions so that's not a factor for us) so if I'm taking vacation days from work, I would prefer to fly on Friday or Saturday and get the benefit of the weekend. Otherwise, for my 5 days charged to vacation from Monday to Friday, I've lost 3 full days already (Saturday - Sunday - Monday) if I don't arrive until late Monday night.

A one-week trip flying DY from Monday to Monday (not that we go for so short a period, but just an example) requires 7 working days off since the return trip has a Tuesday afternoon arrival, rather than the traditional 5 working days for a Saturday to Saturday itinerary.

I can't attest to it myself, but I've heard that the "change-over days" on the weekends at Disney and other attractions see lighter crowds, but from my perspective, most every day has excessive crowds there.

With more than a month of paid vacation time, lots of national holidays, and rather flexible and very extensive paid parental leave for a lot of Scandinavians, a Monday evening to Monday evening Florida stay isn't a major problem or sub-optimization of vacation/leave time for a big chunk of the Scandinavian target market for Orlando.
Answered too quick. Sure, compared to Americans, vacation time is abundant, but I still like to optimize my travel time. But then I'm trying to squeeze at least two trips of 3+ weeks each into a calendar year.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
No BOS for SK

Official release in two hours from now!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
No BOS for SK
Argl... too bad (for me )

very excited!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by OFFlyer
A wild idea:

SVG-IAH is moved to CPH-IAH with a wide body (SVG-IAH is clearly not a success - and IAH could serve as access point to the latin american market)

OSL-MIA (it seem like SAS has committed themselves to a IC routes from OSL)

ARN-SFO (CPH-SFO seems to be very successfull - and if I remember the SAS quotes right, they stated their most successfull IC start up in a long time)

The 737 all biz is moved to SK901/902 all year service (believe it is leased on a 3 year contract.

Could also speculate that they have ARN-HKG on the radar screen, to do something, either on timing or routing. Bookings seems not to be as expected (with all the summer and EB deals lately). The last two IC route launches from ARN did not sucdeed (PEK and BKK).

Dont believe in BOS (to few onward connection options from BOS. DEL has been tried a couple of times - miserable failures both times.
LOVE the idea of all-bus shorthaul AC for SK901/902 all year.
On another note: Is CPH-SYD (via SIN?) too much to hope for? Or CPH-GIG?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: VA Velocity, SQ KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by GreatDane
LOVE the idea of all-bus shorthaul AC for SK901/902 all year.
On another note: Is CPH-SYD (via SIN?) too much to hope for? Or CPH-GIG?
If CPH - SYD via SIN is announced today, I am sure Singapore Airlines will immediately rip off their previous tie up agreement.

Moreover, I believe it will not be economically feasible to launch SYD in the near future since they have no adequate aircraft for that.

I guess is ARN-SIN plus another ARN-China route?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Metropolitan Airlines
If CPH - SYD via SIN is announced today, I am sure Singapore Airlines will immediately rip off their previous tie up agreement.
As a Sydney-sider who loves Stockholm and Copenhagen, I do so want CPH-SIN-SYD, well, CPH-anywhere-SYD... maybe one day we will see CPH-HKG-SYD..?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:46 am

No BOS for SK

How/where did you get the source of the announcement... 2 hours have past..
where is the official statement?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:53 am

"SAS will fly to Los Angeles and Miami in 2016 as the European airline makes another move on the US market" - http://www.ausbt.com.au/sas-will-lau...-miami-in-2016

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.