Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: MP Silver / DM /SkyMiles
Just confirming that OT sent me an email saying I did get upgraded to Econ Extra, but not to Business Class, late last night on the 15 June IAD-CPH flight. This is actually what I preferred, (I just wanted Business more than no upgrade at all). Like you, callie-girl, the price of the extra bag alone makes it really trivially more for EE (in my case, bringing gifts to Danish and German friends).

callie-girl, if I could bet even money, I would guess you get upgraded, but if you do, I don't think you find out earlier than 3 days prior to the trip (though perhaps more than 72 hours before departure), so perhaps early morning on the 15th in your case. But if you do get an email from SAS or OT saying you're upgraded, be sure to log in ASAP so that you can pick your seat in Econ Extra.

This brings me to posting my history with OT on SAS:
7/2/2011 (IAD-CPH): Bought EE only--upgraded (30 hours prior)
7/21/2011 (CPH-IAD): Bought EE only--upgraded (60 hours prior)
6/16/2012 (IAD-CPH): Bought EE only--upgraded (20 hours prior)
6/21/2012 (IAD-CPH): Bought EE only--not upgraded (flight cancelled) -- wife (my OT acct)
7/2/2012 (CPH-IAD): Bought EE/Biz--upgraded to Biz (36 hours prior)
7/2/2012 (CPH-IAD): Bought EE/Biz--upgraded to Biz (36 hours prior) -- wife (my OT acct)
6/15/2013 (IAD-CPH): Bought EE/Biz--upgraded to EE (72 hours prior)
7/4/2013 (CPH-IAD): Bought EE/Biz--??

PS. If you have an Economy Flexible fare, that means you paid a decent amount for your coach ticket. I would think--but maybe others know better--that might improve you chance of an upgrade as well.

Last edited by mikepowie; Jun 13, 2013 at 12:58 pm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: No travel, no cards. :(
KroFlyer -
I was talking about this to my Mom and she said that I'd bought the flexible ticket in the first place (I didn't remember doing that, though it's likely), so I'm ignoring that part for now. It would have made sense for me to do so.

I'm just having a high-stress trip and can't remember much, except where my ticket is.
<embarrassed>

I still have several days. No matter what, I'm ready to pay for bag #2.

Thanks, mikepowie - even more positivity!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:38 am

Upgrade accepted subject to availability. Ask airport staff.

I have tried optiontown a couple of times and sometimes i was upgraded, sometimes not. Sometimes it happends a few hours before the flight, and sometimes i have got it even several days before the flight.

This time i have a flight Copenhagen-Chicago tomorrow in Economy, and i got something i have never got before. Did you try this, should i go to the airport way ahead of time to get better changes or?

Your Option Summary

Economy Extra
Not Upgraded
Thank you

Business:
Accepted subject to availability.
Ask airport staff.

Dear Customer,

Your upgrade to Business has been accepted subject to availability upon checking in at the Copenhagen airport for your flight SK943 Copenhagen - Chicago Jun 15 (Booking Reference - xxxxxx).

Please be advised that this upgrade is subject to final availability and you need to present a print out of this email to the SAS staff at the Copenhagen airport gate to receive your upgrade.

Last edited by oermen; Jun 14, 2013 at 12:46 am
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by oermen
This time i have a flight Copenhagen-Chicago tomorrow in Economy, and i got something i have never got before. Did you try this, should i go to the airport way ahead of time to get better changes or?
This has happened to me once. I had a tight connection between flights at CPH, but they were expecting me upon my arrival to the service desk at the gate.

Business class was 50% full that day, so there was plenty of availability, and the agent even blocked the seat next to me so I could really stretch out.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:32 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by oermen
I have tried optiontown a couple of times and sometimes i was upgraded, sometimes not. Sometimes it happends a few hours before the flight, and sometimes i have got it even several days before the flight.

Your Option Summary

Economy Extra
Not Upgraded
Thank you

Business:
Accepted subject to availability.
Ask airport staff.

Dear Customer,

Your upgrade to Business has been accepted subject to availability upon checking in at the Copenhagen airport for your flight SK943 Copenhagen - Chicago Jun 15 (Booking Reference - xxxxxx).

Please be advised that this upgrade is subject to final availability and you need to present a print out of this email to the SAS staff at the Copenhagen airport gate to receive your upgrade.
That is the mail I have received the two last times I have been upgraded (Eco to Biz, ORD-CPH and SFO-CPH). Noticable was that I couldn't check in on the net at all, so I really was in a limbo. But they sold upgrades at the gate, so no problems with real time availability
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:08 am

i got my upgrade at check in. I could not check in online as well.
When i check my booking on sas.dk it still says seat 45A but my boarding card shows 1D.

Other times with SAS i could go to sas.dk and choose my business seat when i got the upgrade.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: No travel, no cards. :(
Optiontown email arrived - upgrade to EcoPlus confirmed.
Waiting for Mom to get off the phone so I can call and set the seat with SAS.

Very happy right now!

Thank you, ksu, mikepowie and KroFlyer!
You helped keep me positive for this.

Seat confirmed on flysas.com.
Extremely happy!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by callie-girl
Optiontown email arrived - upgrade to EcoPlus confirmed.
Waiting for Mom to get off the phone so I can call and set the seat with SAS.

Very happy right now!

Thank you, ksu, mikepowie and KroFlyer!
You helped keep me positive for this.

Seat confirmed on flysas.com.
Extremely happy!
Glad to hear it worked out! Its always great to get everything confirmed in advance. Enjoy your flight!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:41 am

Just an update for curious folks. I flew SFO-CPH and back, got upgraded to business class for both segments, notified via email 3 days before flight departure in both cases. Both flights showed limited space availability in economy (~3 seats available.) I think summer travel is helping out the situation.

BTW, on the flight from SFO to CPH the flight attendant in business class that was assigned to our section most of the time seemed a bit sourly. At one point she literally threw the silverware over to the service tray rather than place it down gently. My wife and I just laughed about it. If anything, it made for an interesting show, as if Suzie from Curb Your Enthusiasm was your flight attendant. But all the other flight attendants appeared to have a very pleasant personality.

Oh, and my seat on that SFO->CPH segment stopped functioning about 2 hours before landing. You couldn't shift it from recline mode to normal mode. It didn't matter much because at that point it was the end of the flight, but the flight attendants did not appear surprised (or apologetic) that my seat broke.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by bocos
Just an update for curious folks. I flew SFO-CPH and back, got upgraded to business class for both segments, notified via email 3 days before flight departure in both cases. Both flights showed limited space availability in economy (~3 seats available.) I think summer travel is helping out the situation.

BTW, on the flight from SFO to CPH the flight attendant in business class that was assigned to our section most of the time seemed a bit sourly. At one point she literally threw the silverware over to the service tray rather than place it down gently. My wife and I just laughed about it. If anything, it made for an interesting show, as if Suzie from Curb Your Enthusiasm was your flight attendant. But all the other flight attendants appeared to have a very pleasant personality.

Oh, and my seat on that SFO->CPH segment stopped functioning about 2 hours before landing. You couldn't shift it from recline mode to normal mode. It didn't matter much because at that point it was the end of the flight, but the flight attendants did not appear surprised (or apologetic) that my seat broke.
That's SAS for you!

Great to hear that you took it humorously ^ - I'm pretty sure not many people would have done so...
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:23 pm

[QUOTE=SuperFlyBoy;20932313]That's SAS for you!

LOL. Exactly, I think I knew what to expect coming in and I was actually surprised when I received good service. For some reason I find surly flight attendants to be amusing/entertaining. I think it helps, though, that I was flying in business...
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: EBG, Club Carlson Gold, Frequent Flyer, SPG, Gold Points
Originally Posted by ksu
That is the mail I have received the two last times I have been upgraded (Eco to Biz, ORD-CPH and SFO-CPH). Noticable was that I couldn't check in on the net at all, so I really was in a limbo. But they sold upgrades at the gate, so no problems with real time availability
How does this work? You get ok for upgrade, but have to wait until gate for confirmed upgrade? Did they sell upgrades with cash at the gate? If yes, what price?

Also if you get upgrade confirmed at the gate, then you cannot access lounge unless being * Gold already
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by *RTW*
How does this work? You get ok for upgrade, but have to wait until gate for confirmed upgrade? Did they sell upgrades with cash at the gate? If yes, what price?

Also if you get upgrade confirmed at the gate, then you cannot access lounge unless being * Gold already
The time it happened to me I received the email from Optiontown after business hours, later in the evening the night before the flight. I figured it was because whoever is needed at SAS to reissue the ticket was not there, and its easier for them to take care of it at the gate. As C was only half full the time it happened to me, and UTO has been known to work only usually when the plane is overbooked in eco and/or extra, I guess they didn't need to move people around 24 hours+ prior to the flight departing. I was not under the impression it was to cheat me out of lounge access or fast track, but I also didn't consider that as a logical reason. I was happy to get the upgrade.

I get the impression that Optiontown has some say in who gets or doesn't get upgraded, and SK give them a certain amount of seats they can assign as upgrades at their discretion, hence them being able to advertise the more times one uses Optiontown the higher their chances of being upgraded. There has to be substance behind that claim.

The negative was that SK didn't change the booking class and only changed my seat assignment. There was a note in my PNR to approve the upgrade, but I had to go through Optiontown to get the points posted to my EB account.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: EBG, Club Carlson Gold, Frequent Flyer, SPG, Gold Points
Thanks for quick and thorough reply. I have a few long haul flights coming up and they look to be fully booked, so hoping for an upgrade.

First time I used Optiontown, I used to get a lot of reminder mail for upgrade, but lately there has not been that many, eventhough latest upgrade was around 4 months ago.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:52 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by *RTW*

No, I got the upgrade at check-in at SFO (and it was aleady in the computer). As for the other upgrade possibilities: my friends were asked at check-in whether they wanted to upgrade using points. As for the upgrades offered at the gate, I presume they were for cash, but I saw no prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.