Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:26 pm
THD

Programs: OZ Lifetime-DMPL*G, AF*G, SPG Plat, Hertz PC
Standby and confirmed upgrades now the same price in miles.

Intercontinental
M -> Y 15000
Y -> C 25000
M -> C 40000

Europe
Y -> C 15000
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I used to fly SK more than currently and several years ago I had mixed results with OptionTown upgrades clearing or not. Lately, however, I can't even make it that far; I get "UTo Not Available" every time I try to sign up.

When this message comes several months before the flight, does it ever change later, as the day approaches?

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:14 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by THD
Standby and confirmed upgrades now the same price in miles.

Intercontinental
M -> Y 15000
Y -> C 25000
M -> C 40000

Europe
Y -> C 15000
It is not surprising that EB has increased the price in points for stand-by upgrades, as the possibilites of earning points thorugh credit cards has increased. What is more important is that it is now possible to request upgrades in advance (30 days before) and getting it confirmed 24 - 48 hours before departure. The cost in points is lower than the *uogrades, and it is valid in most classes, including K and W whiche are often the cheapest booking classes, and those classes most likely to be used for IC travellers who can plan their travel in advance. A major disadvantage is that one has to travel with a SK ticket number (117-stock). Thus one cannot travel on LH outbound and on SK for the return.

As the window for the upgrade to clear overlaps the Optiontown window, and Optiontown still is listed as a possibility on the Norwegian SAS page, one wonders how this will affect Optiontown, and what the priority will be between the two types of upgrade instruments. Would it be safe to request both, or does one risk having to pay double, both points and money, for the same upgrade?

Last edited by ksu; Dec 10, 2012 at 6:51 am
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:15 am
THD

Originally Posted by ksu
Would it be safe to reuest both, or does one risk having to pay double, both points and money, for the same upgrade?
Optiontown allows SK an additional revenue stream where a flight is oversold in a certain lower cabin class. The customer pays to be at the front of the op-up queue. Upgrades with miles are an additional revenue stream where a flight is undersold in a certain higher cabin class.

The only overlap would be in the case of oversold lower cabin class, undersold premium classes. In this case I would assume Optiontown to take preference as the revenue generated to SK is clearly significantly higher. I doubt there will be much risk that one pays double for the same upgrade. These op-ups are manually handled by revenue management and they would have a certain order of priority.

(Of course this is from my armchair CEO position. Who knows what SK would do)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:36 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by THD
Optiontown allows SK an additional revenue stream where a flight is oversold in a certain lower cabin class. The customer pays to be at the front of the op-up queue. Upgrades with miles are an additional revenue stream where a flight is undersold in a certain higher cabin class.

The only overlap would be in the case of oversold lower cabin class, undersold premium classes. In this case I would assume Optiontown to take preference as the revenue generated to SK is clearly significantly higher. I doubt there will be much risk that one pays double for the same upgrade. These op-ups are manually handled by revenue management and they would have a certain order of priority.

(Of course this is from my armchair CEO position. Who knows what SK would do)
I asked customer service, using the chat function on SAS' webpage. The operator checked with EuroBonus, and I was told that the collaboration with OptionTown would continue. It would be possible to request upgrades using both OT and points, but that OT "probably" would have preference.

The requirement for 117-stock was confirmed, leaving OT and standby-upgrade at gate (probably having close to zero availability henceforth!) the only way to upgrade itineraries ticketed on other airlines.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: SK*LifetimeG, AY*S, Member of LH, BA, VS, NH and FI
got paid upgrade from Economy (L) to Business (Z) on CPH-PVG.

The booking situation at the point of upgrade was according to flightstats:

A/0 C/2 D/2 J/2 Z/0 R/0 Y/2 S/2 B/0 E/2 M/2 H/2 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/1 N/0

The price was 293 euro including sign-up fee.
The price had been 341 euro till 10 days before the departure, but the prince went down.... lucky me, this time.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: EBG
Glad to hear your upgrade went through fqtvcph. Mrs. KroFlyer and I are travelling on SK909 later this week and are booked in Y. Bought Uto in september for 161 and 152 euro, plus service fee (we're on seperate bookings and for some reason my price was slightly cheaper for this leg). Flightstats has our flight looking pretty full at the moment:

A/0 C/2 D/2 J/2 Z/0 R/0 Y/2 S/2 B/0 E/1 M/0 H/0 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/0 N/0

909's availability has been varied for the past couple of weeks, some days looking wide open, then availability diminishing, on a rotation. We're on SK904 coming back in January, but availability is still pretty good right now, so currently I don't have much hope for the return leg. We paid 152 each about a week ago, plus service fee, for that flight.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:04 pm

And today at about T-70 hours we received the updated eticket from SK with our upgrades from Y->C. Flightstats currently shows the flight availability at:

A/0 C/1 D/1 J/1 Z/0 R/0 Y/1 S/1 B/0 E/0 M/0 H/0 Q/0 V/0 W/0 U/0 K/0 L/0 T/0 G/0 N/0
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:22 am

I asked some of you here about upgrade between CPH-NRT a few weeks ago. The flight seemed quite empty back then, but luckily I've got upgraded from economy to business today.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:53 am
THD

Originally Posted by Khara
I asked some of you here about upgrade between CPH-NRT a few weeks ago. The flight seemed quite empty back then, but luckily I've got upgraded from economy to business today.
Flight is still showing wide open availability. Was this with UTo or points? You must be lucky if it was UTo, Merry Christmas from SK

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.1/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
CPH  Copenhagen Kastrup DK [EKCH]
NRT  Tokyo Narita JP [RJAA]
SAT  22 Dec 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  --------------------------------------------------------------
SK         983     CPH   15:40     NRT   10:40     343      A0 C9 D9 J9 Z0 R0 Y9 S9 B0 E9 M9 H9 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G9 N0
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:28 am

It's UTo. And I'm EBB. Just hard to believe it despite the availability.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:56 am

Maybe with SK's financial state they're trying to get every penny they can, and selling an upgrade to someone for 150-400 euros is better than letting the seat go empty because there is not an overbooking situation.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by KroFlyer
Maybe with SK's financial state they're trying to get every penny they can, and selling an upgrade to someone for 150-400 euros is better than letting the seat go empty because there is not an overbooking situation.
I could see this working, if they do this sporadically. If it becomes regular practice, then it can undermin their business class market.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by wazow
I could see this working, if they do this sporadically. If it becomes regular practice, then it can undermin their business class market.
Agreed.

I'd be willing to bet that even though SK983 is showing that much availability it will still go out full or close to it. But then again it is the season of giving! I'm happy to give SK credit on this one

Merry Christmas!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
I only saw the news about the new advance upgrade requests after I already paid up for a OptionTown upgrade request (for Y (E-Extra) to C on my flight CPH-PEK on Dec 29). I figured though I should do some testing and so signed up for the points upgrade request as well...

I got an e-mail from OT 60 hours before scheduled departure to tell me my request was successful. I didn't receive any e-mail from SAS to say my points upgrade request was cancelled (or not given) but I have checked and no EB points have been taken from my account (the points for C have already posted), so it seems it is possible to do both.

It was hard to predict what would happen regarding seat availability.
-7 days: showing C2 B9 E9
-3 days: showing C9 B9 E9
-1 days: showing A0 C8 D8 J4 Z0 R0 Y4 S4 B0 E4 M4 H4 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0 G3 N0
{I forgot to copy the full list for the other days}

I must admit I was kind of surprised to get the OT upgrade given these posted loadings in E-Extra and Business. In the end it turned out that the person sat next to me was given an op-up at the gate from E (Economy) to C, so I maybe as an EBG in Y, I would have got upgraded anyway!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.