Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Optiontown - Upgrade on SK flights
SAS Scandinavian Airlines offers, via partner Optiontown, all customers the opportunity to purchase an upgrade on SK operated flights, which will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure, pending on seat availability.

SAS Go passengers can purchase an upgrade to SAS Plus on all flights and to SAS Business class on SAS’s intercontinental flights between Scandinavia, the US and Asia, while SAS Plus passengers also can buy an upgrade to SAS Business class on intercontinental flights.
Booking class Europe: A (SAS Plus)
Booking classes Intercontinental: Z (Business) and P (SAS Plus)
Note: All upgrades will be handled by Optiontown.
Contact to Optiontown

Phone: UK +44 (0) 203 371 7854
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: www.optiontown.com
Upgrade fees

Intercontinental flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR140 and EUR900, depending on availability, destination and service class.
European flights:
Upgrade fees will range between EUR30 and EUR75, depending on availability, destination and service class.

EUR 1 (one) for short haul flights
EUR 5 (five) for long haul flights.
Note: During the period 10JUN15-31AUG15, no sign up fee will be charged.
Reservation

All upgraded PNRs will be updated with and include OS SK OPTIONTOWN UPGRADE.
Reservation for non 117-documents (only applicable on long haul flights)

Reservations for non 117-documents will be updated by Optiontown with the following information:

OS SK UTO
SR CKIN SK KK. ATTN CHECK-IN. UTO PSGR. PLS UPGRADE TO (CLASS) ACC TO PROC ON SKXXX (DATE), UPG ALREADY PAID BRGDS REV MNGT.
Note: Tickets will not be reissued and upgrade will take place at check-in counter.
Rebooking
If the passenger wants to rebook a flight with confirmed upgrade via Optiontown, always use the original ticket fare, found in TWD, to calculate the fare difference.
Change fee must be collected if applicable for the original ticket.

Refund

After requesting upgrade it is not possible to change or cancel the upgrade request.
Upgrade amount is not refundable.

If the passengers upgrade request is not successful, the upgrade fee will be refunded.
Optiontown must be contacted for refund.
Restrictions

Upgrade of the following passengers cannot be performed:

Travel Pass passengers
Groups (booking class G)
Passengers holding award tickets (booking classes I and X)
ID-passengers (booking classes R and N)

Irregularity

Rebooking procedures for passengers with an upgrade, affected by irregularity:

Rebooking to other SK-flight
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is available - rebook the passenger in the upgraded booking class.
If the same booking class as passenger was upgraded to is not available - rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.
Rebooking to other airline
Rebook the passenger in the same service class as originally booked and refund the upgrade.

Note: In case of refund in above cases, the passenger himself must contact Optiontown and request refund.
Benefits

The upgraded passenger is entitled to:

Baggage allowance according to the new class
Star Alliance Priority tag
SAS Business check-in
Fast Track security
SAS Lounge access
EuroBonus points earned according to the new class
Onboard service according to the new class

Passenger process

Passenger makes a reservation on an SAS operated flight. Reservation must be confirmed.
Passenger logs onto www.optiontown.com, creates an account and enters credit card info.
Passenger can register the upgrade request immediately after reservation is made
Sign-up must be made latest 36 hours before departure

Optiontown selects the passengers to be upgraded according to conditions set forth by SAS

If there are seats available and the upgrade request is successful, the upgrade will be confirmed 72-24 hours prior to departure.
Updated 03JUL15 08.57
Print Wikipost

Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS

Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Ah, good to know. I can see how it might be tough if the upgrade doesn't clear in advance.

Originally Posted by fassy
200€ and 400€ is a good price nowadays, just paid 173€/372€ and 189€/409€ for CPH-SFO-CPH and was happy with the price-tag. A couple of years back (~2) I scored CPH-PVG Y to C for under 300€ but haven't seen any deal this low since then.
Thanks. It's nice to have reference points. Upgrade pricing certainly factors in (at least for me) the initial ticket purchase decision. Without SK status, I also have to consider the extra expense of securing a good Preferred seat as backup for Go. Looking at the T&Cs, it looks like seat fees are non-refundable if an upgrade clears.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver
I am booked on the Ex-Lan bird (LN-RKP) for a june flight from ORD , and i noticed that they are now listing sas plus upgrade as "not available" on that flight. Guess too many people complained about paying 200 euros for what amounts to the first rows of economy! Either way,good that they are at least not doing that one anymore..

More generally I wonder what will happen with my pending optiontown upgrades (have two flights in pipeline) now that sas seems to be selling upgrades themselves?? Will optiontown die soon?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SAS Diamond (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by DeninDK
More generally I wonder what will happen with my pending optiontown upgrades (have two flights in pipeline) now that sas seems to be selling upgrades themselves?? Will optiontown die soon?
Where are SAS selling upgrades? On the website it still says that upgrades are sold through OptionTown...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Frequie
Where are SAS selling upgrades? On the website it still says that upgrades are sold through OptionTown...
they seem to be doing it via email invite on some longhaul flights.. see for example this one from earlier in the thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24611029-post1650.html
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeninDK
I am booked on the Ex-Lan bird (LN-RKP) for a june flight from ORD , and i noticed that they are now listing sas plus upgrade as "not available" on that flight. Guess too many people complained about paying 200 euros for what amounts to the first rows of economy! Either way,good that they are at least not doing that one anymore..

I am booked in C on EWR-CPH later this summer. They didn't sell Plus on this flight (check the 11.30pm departures from EWR, it might be a general thing) - though standard C-tickets r/t were running at around DKK 50,000 (which is insane, considering the product).
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: sas eurobonus
I may have the same issue as DeninDK. Have an October booking for CPH - ORD return. Both Plus and C are unavailable on OT. I thought it was a connecting Danish connecting flight that caused the unavailability but it could be the ex-lan ln-rkp or a general issue. Any others facing sudden unavailability with OT in general or on the ORD - CPH flights?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:05 pm

This might be the wrong place but it sort of applies. Booked IAD-CPH RT with my wife and an infant in Go, and am researching Optiontown upgrades. Are there bassinets anywhere else on the plane besides Go? We're booked in 32E/F with a bassinet atm. Offer is $201/$438 (USD) but only says two eligible passengers. Not sure what the infant policy is in business, don't see it listed anywhere on SAS's site.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:03 am

There are bassinets in Business and in Plus as well but since the upgrade might clear just a few hours before the flight there is not a good chance these seats are free.

The gate agents might reseat the pax on those seats but it is far from guaranteed.

Last edited by fassy; Apr 28, 2015 at 5:33 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by thndrmatt
This might be the wrong place but it sort of applies. Booked IAD-CPH RT with my wife and an infant in Go, and am researching Optiontown upgrades. Are there bassinets anywhere else on the plane besides Go? We're booked in 32E/F with a bassinet atm. Offer is $201/$438 (USD) but only says two eligible passengers. Not sure what the infant policy is in business, don't see it listed anywhere on SAS's site.
There are bassinet positions at all bulkheads IIRC-- so one where you are in GO, one in Plus, and one in Biz. But my honest advice would be that if you have a bassinet spot in go, just hold on to that one!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
For information :
I recently did an intra-European Optiontown upgrade from GO to PLUS.
DUS-CPH.
I was upgraded to booking class C (not A as mentioned in the wiki) and received 2000 points for the flight.
And in my point activity the flight is registered as flown in SAS Business.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: MP Silver / DM /SkyMiles
I've used OT each summer from IAD-CPH (and then on to TXL).

Each year since 2011, I have always been upgraded from Econ/Go to EE/Plus and always but once from Econ/Go to Business (when I was still upgraded to EE/Plus). I usually do Plus from IAD-CPH and Business for CPH-IAD.

Also have done it for my wife on separate itineraries (all successful, except when they cancelled the entire flight). Even did it with OT account for my parents for Go to Plus, and they were successful. I would say about 10x in all, perhaps 12.

A few thoughts/questions: 1) I gather the new cabins aren't around this summer for this route? I can't imagine that's the case since the OT prices for this July were the same (actually slightly less) as previous years, and I can't image C class isn't going to be a ton more with the new cabins.

2) This is the first time my wife and I are traveling on the same itinerary (usually I fly out on different date due to business). I'm wondering if this will hurt my chances since it's 2 and not 1 (even though when we returned together on separate itineraries we've been successful). As I said, it worked for my parents. Seems to me on the IAD-CPH flight they will always upgrade you to Plus, assuming there's space, at least in the spring/summer.

3) First time I've seen the option for the CPH-TXL flight. For $45, seems not worth it, even if checking two bags, since that would already be covered by the IAD-CPH as the "main" leg of the trip (which is how they determine baggage allowance if there are different allowances on different legs, as I understand). I'm only SA Silver, not Gold, which is useless.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
I recall seeing somewhere that the refits will be suspended during the (busy) summer months, so most routes will probably still have the old products, I'd imagine.

While *S useful(less)ness is a whole different topic, I still don't understand why *A can't (or won't) provide meaningful benefits for entry level elites while OW & ST can.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by mikepowie

3) First time I've seen the option for the CPH-TXL flight. For $45, seems not worth it, even if checking two bags, since that would already be covered by the IAD-CPH as the "main" leg of the trip (which is how they determine baggage allowance if there are different allowances on different legs, as I understand). I'm only SA Silver, not Gold, which is useless.
No not worth it - very short flight and therefore limited service on board.
As far as I know ( from reading the food menu, not from experience ), they only serve coffee/ tea + a chocolate to PLUS passengers after 9 am. I take that to mean that there is no trolley with food, snacks or drinks.

The exceptions to onboard PLUS service is mentioned on the page to the left at the bottom of the page.
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...23#/70833923/1
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by helosc
No not worth it - very short flight and therefore limited service on board.
It only makes some sense for the mileage earnings in the higher booking class. It depends how desperately you need miles, how much you want to pay for them and to what FFP you credit.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by mikepowie
I've used OT each summer from IAD-CPH (and then on to TXL).

A few thoughts/questions: 1) I gather the new cabins aren't around this summer for this route? I can't imagine that's the case since the OT prices for this July were the same (actually slightly less) as previous years, and I can't image C class isn't going to be a ton more with the new cabins.
Slim odds you will get new cabin on IAD this summer. having said this, I have a flight to IAD June with the new cabin (at least listed that way for time being). Guess it is a rotation quirk.

If you have expertflyer, you can check seatmap. In terms of new cabin impacting OT, I don't think there is any link. Probably far less inventory as C cabin smaller on new cabin, but pricing (at least in my case) was not impacted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.