Search
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
BART STRIKE IS NOW OVER!!!

BART Striking on Friday Oct 18 -
check www.511.org for alternatives

Key steps re the BART labor dispute:
On August 11, 2013, the San Francisco Superior Court, at the request of Governor Brown, issued a preliminary injunction prohibiting a BART strike or lockout for 60 days, (until midnight, October 10, 2013).

As of October 11, 2013, the cooling-off period has ended and the parties continue to negotiate while BART service continues.

At 3:30 p.m. Oct. 17, BART and two bargaining units reached impasse. FMCS did not deem it could be of further service at this time and was heading back to Washington.

As of 12:01 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 18 BART is CLOSED due to a strike by the 2 major BART unions.

As of Tuesday Oct. 22, BART is expected to re-open by 6am, though full service may not be restored for several hours.. It appears that all issues have been resolved, though the members of both unions must still vote to approve the contracts.
Print Wikipost

Alternatives to/from SFO if BART strike

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
From SFO or SF to Walnut Creek, Rental car is the only option if BART is down and also the cheapest by a factor of 2x-3x. Depending on traffic, from SFO may want to use San Mateo Bridge and take 880North->580East->680North.

I would strongly advise anyone flying into SFO who is not staying in the city of SF to make a car rental reservation (fully cancellable) as you will be up a creek if you need to travel anywhere in the bay area that is not serviced by CalTrain. And it goes without staying you will want lodging as close as possible to your daytime activities. SF streets were gridlocked during the last strike, and that was a holiday week.

The local political reporters said that BART operators would not strike again after being burned the last time as the strikers would have even less public support. But these are not well educated workers, they are loathe to make further give-backs, and BART management has not seen fit to throw them much of a bone in the latest round. So who knows, this could be brinksmanship but if not Round 2 may be a long one.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:25 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Just after 7:00 p.m. today, unions representing BART employees issued a 72-hour courtesy notice that there may be a strike if there's no settlement or meaningful negotiations by this Sunday, August 4.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...143.php#page-1
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Ok, a bit of a different problem. I occasionally use Amtrak to Richmond and connect to Bart there. Am I looking at a huge cab fare to get from Amtrak to SFO or is there a better option?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:29 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Ok, a bit of a different problem. I occasionally use Amtrak to Richmond and connect to Bart there. Am I looking at a huge cab fare to get from Amtrak to SFO or is there a better option?
You can take Amtrak all the way to Emeryville, then a cab from there will be somewhat cheaper.

If you really wanted to, you could take AC transit (F bus) to downtown SF, then Muni to Caltrain and then Caltrain to Millbrae, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:32 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Couldn't you take Amtrak to Emeryville (or maybe Oakland) and use the Amtrak connecting bus to get to the Caltrain station in San Francisco and from there to SFO? It does sound like a lot of connections which will likely take a bunch of time, though.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:32 am
bpe

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Really the major problem for air travelers (due to now suspended BART strike) is not for SFO customers going into SF (BART is overpriced anyway particularly for families, and takes way too long) but for customer utilizing OAK as an alternative airport for SF. There are no cheap ways to get into SF from OAK except BART.
There are relatively cheap ways (AC transit 73 to 1/1R, then a transbay bus) but there aren't any cheap easy ways. If you're going to somewhere in the East bay that BART serves (From Richmond to Fremont), AC transit really isn't that bad though.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Hah. Bpe just beat me to it.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Amtrak also runs to Oakland Colesium, you could then take a quick shuttle bus to OAK. Of course that doesn't work for SFO...

From Fresno you could also take Amtrak to San Jose, and connect to SJC or then take Caltrain to Millbrae. That would probably be quicker than trying to cross a bridge that will be wall to wall cars.

I stand partially corrected, as AC Transit is certainly inexpensive. But if there is a strike, it will take hours to get to SFO on transit from the East Bay. Time is money for many.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Boraxo
... you could also take Amtrak to San Jose, and connect to SJC or then take Caltrain to Millbrae. ...
I hadn't considered San Jose. Thanks for the idea. Anyone know how much of a trip from Amtrak-SJ to Caltrain-SJ? I assume by cab.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by landesb
Assuming BART goes back out on strike this coming Monday, does anyone know the best way to get out to Walnut Creek?
I'm flying home from Barcelona on Monday. My plan right now is $29 Evans Airporter bus which stops in Vallejo on the way to Napa (stop is the hotel across from Marine World). My sister's husband in American Canyon will run me home. If it's early enough in the day (won't be for me, 1900 arrival), there is a bus connection to Walnut Creek from the transit center a few blocks away on York Street in Vallejo.

If I can't get home for some reason Monday night, then Vallejo ferry in the morning connecting to SOLTRANS Route 78 bus to Walnut Creek BART (stops in Benicia). That bus has been pretty reliable and I used it to get to BART for this trip, among many others. It only runs until about 7-8 at night, though, and more frequently during commute hours.
http://www.soltransride.com/routes/m...dule/route-78/

It's possible that SOLTRANS Route 80 may continue right into San Francisco from El Cerrito BART. That would get you to Vallejo and then connect to route 78 to Walnut Creek. Watch the connecting times, though, if they do publish a schedule. I would not want to be around the transit center after dark as it's a block from an apartment complex with crime issues.

I'm just not up to speed on any planned bus service to Walnut Creek from San Francisco. Maybe that will be announced Monday, but then the issue is how much capacity and how long you'll have to wait. Didn't the buses only run during commute periods last month?

Tom in Barcelona
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:45 pm
bpe

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I hadn't considered San Jose. Thanks for the idea. Anyone know how much of a trip from Amtrak-SJ to Caltrain-SJ? I assume by cab.
If you mean transferring from Amtrak to Caltrain in San Jose, they are at the same station (San Jose Diridon)

Originally Posted by tom911
I'm just not up to speed on any planned bus service to Walnut Creek from San Francisco. Maybe that will be announced Monday, but then the issue is how much capacity and how long you'll have to wait. Didn't the buses only run during commute periods last month?
(If there is a strike) there will be more bus service than last month, but it will still be commute-only and I wouldn't be surprised if they all filled up and/or there would be a long wait for them.

Here is the current BART page on what other transit options are available.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A data point:

It was hard to find reservable parking near SFO today, and BART is not allowing airport parking reservations as of now, even at Millbrae.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
For shared vans, Bayporter Express charges about $40 between SFO and Richmond or Oakland (but I don't know whether they'll go between SFO and OAK, or if there's some reason that they wouldn't). IME, they've been pretty reliable, but all bets are off during strike-caused gridlock. The Bay Bridge will be worse than hellish, whether you go by van or rental car, so some of the circuitous suggestions made above may actually work out better.

There's an SFO-Walnut Creek shared van, East Bay Connection, but I have no personal experience with them.

I assume that either van reservations or rental cars will be much harder to come by than normally.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
The other option from Walnut Creek is through the north and the Martinez Amtrak station. You would then take 3CTA (County Connection) from Martinez to Walnut Creek. There also is a Martinez Link bus (30Z) from Hercules. WestCAT has announced that all JPX trips will operate from Hercules to San Francisco (via El Cerrito Del Norte).

During peak hours 3CTA has announced special shuttles from Concord to Oakland. http://cccta.org/bart-strike-update/ The last bus leaves Martinez at 8:25 PM though. The Soltrans 80X service operates only four trips and is really a pay supplement to the free BART charter buses which will be operating.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Also, don't forget the South San Francisco Ferry. The distance between here and the airport is not that long for a cab ride, although if you really wanted to be cheap take the free shuttle bus that meets the boat, get off as far south as you can (Utah/Airport) and walk a half mile to the SFO long term parking lot and ride the airport shuttle from there.

Given the fact that very few people even know it exists, it is likely to be uncrowded. Of course, service is limited but if it works for your time period this is a great option from the East Bay.

http://sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/oakland/ssf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.