FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco-468/)
-   -   Alternatives to/from SFO if BART strike (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-francisco/1481029-alternatives-sfo-if-bart-strike.html)

squeakr Jun 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Alternatives to/from SFO if BART strike

1) KX Express Bus form SamTrans
http://www.samtrans.com/schedulesand...tables/KX.html

2) CalTrain to/from Millbrae: free shuttle bus to SFO
http://www.caltrain.com/schedules.html

RichardInSF Jul 1, 2013 8:40 am

Does Caltrain still offer the free shuttle bus, or is it a strike-only thing? For the past several years, you had to be an airport employee to use it, I thought.

I park at Millbrae and haven't ever seen this shuttle, but then I wasn't looking for it.

In normal times there are always cabs at Millbrae and the ride to SFO is about $13 including tip. Dunno what the situation will be like during the strike.

squeakr Jul 1, 2013 8:53 am

SFO is offering the shuttle during the strike

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 21020849)
Does Caltrain still offer the free shuttle bus, or is it a strike-only thing? For the past several years, you had to be an airport employee to use it, I thought.

In normal times there are always cabs at Millbrae and the ride to SFO is about $13 including tip. Dunno what the situation will be like during the strike.

News photos indicate it is working OK.

bostonAM Jul 1, 2013 12:57 pm

Anyone with personal experience of the Millbrae-SFO shuttle situation this morning? I'm planning to allow some extra time for a flight tomorrow (parking at Millbrae), but any guidance on how much would be appreciated!

(I suppose, depending on time, that the shuttle could be faster given that it eliminates the need to transfer trains. BART's limiting direct Millbrae-SFO service to off hours was rather annoying.)

jclarke Jul 1, 2013 1:29 pm

KTVU is reporting that during the strike there's a free shuttle every 15 minutes between Millbrae's Caltrain station and SFO.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/...ce-ligh/nYbFn/

squeakr Jul 1, 2013 2:57 pm

no personal experience

Originally Posted by bostonAM (Post 21022404)
Anyone with personal experience of the Millbrae-SFO shuttle situation this morning? I'm planning to allow some extra time for a flight tomorrow (parking at Millbrae), but any guidance on how much would be appreciated!

(I suppose, depending on time, that the shuttle could be faster given that it eliminates the need to transfer trains. BART's limiting direct Millbrae-SFO service to off hours was rather annoying.)

But news reports today show it running smoothly, no long lines.

bostonAM Jul 1, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks for the news-report references. SFO does mention the shuttles on their web site but leaves out such important details as schedule/frequency! Perhaps they'll update (I've asked; can't be the only curious one).

RichardInSF Jul 2, 2013 8:44 am

Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 21020937)
News photos indicate it is working OK.

This is great news. Way better than taking BART! Too bad it will revert to being the employee shuttle again after the strike (most likely).

Edited to add: As I posted in another thread, yesterday, someone I know discovered that the shuttle is sometimes less than reliable, it may not show up every 15 minutes.

Boraxo Jul 6, 2013 11:58 pm

There are taxis and super shuttle not to mention car shares and all kinds of programs.

Really the major problem for air travelers (due to now suspended BART strike) is not for SFO customers going into SF (BART is overpriced anyway particularly for families, and takes way too long) but for customer utilizing OAK as an alternative airport for SF. There are no cheap ways to get into SF from OAK except BART.

WanderingGent Jul 7, 2013 4:14 pm

BART service is running again, as of 3pm on Friday, 05 July.

landesb Aug 1, 2013 10:36 am

Assuming BART goes back out on strike this coming Monday, does anyone know the best way to get out to Walnut Creek?

RichardInSF Aug 1, 2013 10:39 am

Originally Posted by landesb (Post 21196727)
Assuming BART goes back out on strike this coming Monday, does anyone know the best way to get out to Walnut Creek?

Airport shuttle van or rental car would be my guess.

minhaoxue Aug 1, 2013 11:34 am

Originally Posted by landesb (Post 21196727)

If you want to take public transit, you can take Samtrans from SFO to the Ferry building in SF and catch the Ferry. Downside is the time it will take and the Ferry will be extremely crowded if there is a strike. OR take Caltrain from Millbrae to Downtown and make your way over to the Ferry building, about a 30 minute walk or there are City busses that will take you there.

nnn Aug 1, 2013 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue (Post 21197076)
If you want to take public transit, you can take Samtrans from SFO to the Ferry building in SF and catch the Ferry. Downside is the time it will take and the Ferry will be extremely crowded if there is a strike. OR take Caltrain from Millbrae to Downtown and make your way over to the Ferry building, about a 30 minute walk or there are City busses that will take you there.

AFAIK, the ferry does not go up Walnut "Creek." :D

For public transit, you may need to take a bus to S.F., then another bus to Walnut Creek.

But car/taxi/shuttle is probably your best bet, and be prepared for traffic.

minhaoxue Aug 1, 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 21197564)
AFAIK, the ferry does not go up Walnut "Creek." :D

You are right. I was thinking of Sausalito.