Search
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
BART STRIKE IS NOW OVER!!!

BART Striking on Friday Oct 18 -
check www.511.org for alternatives

Key steps re the BART labor dispute:
On August 11, 2013, the San Francisco Superior Court, at the request of Governor Brown, issued a preliminary injunction prohibiting a BART strike or lockout for 60 days, (until midnight, October 10, 2013).

As of October 11, 2013, the cooling-off period has ended and the parties continue to negotiate while BART service continues.

At 3:30 p.m. Oct. 17, BART and two bargaining units reached impasse. FMCS did not deem it could be of further service at this time and was heading back to Washington.

As of 12:01 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 18 BART is CLOSED due to a strike by the 2 major BART unions.

As of Tuesday Oct. 22, BART is expected to re-open by 6am, though full service may not be restored for several hours.. It appears that all issues have been resolved, though the members of both unions must still vote to approve the contracts.
Print Wikipost

Alternatives to/from SFO if BART strike

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
BART Parking Open?

Will the BART parking lot be open for parking during the strike? For a Saturday AM flight I planned on driving to the Millbrae BART station and parking in the lot, walking over to the Caltrain station and then taking the free SFO shuttle.

Last edited by solosf; Oct 17, 2013 at 10:11 pm Reason: added link to free SFO shuttle
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:03 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

During the earlier short strike, BART stopped taking parking reservations, but I realize that is a different issue than whether you will be allowed to park if you already have a reservation.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 7:28 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This is what the BART website shows:
"During a strike all BART parking lots at 33 stations will be available at no charge for use by carpools. BART parking lot elevators will not be operational because of the strike." See http://www.bart.gov/news/articles/20...s20131004.aspx
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: None
If the elevators and escalators are not working at Millbrae, there will be some stairs to climb, sounds like super shuttle is better unless you have carry on. Remember, travel times goes up slightly.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:06 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Per local news - re BART parking lots

Lots are filling up and are super backed up to enter and find spaces. So some lots may fill up by this AM.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by travelingchumley
If the elevators and escalators are not working at Millbrae, there will be some stairs to climb, sounds like super shuttle is better unless you [only] have carry on.
I guess we all have different experiences, but using super shuttle or the like would always be my last option. I'm completely capable of carrying my bags down the stairs (I pack light), but worst case someone could just follow the ramp down in the garage. For me, driving to Millbrae BART will take 20 minutes and the cost to park and the shuttle to SFO will be free, versus a van shuttle that might take an extended tour of SF first and cost $18+ on both sides of the trip.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by solosf
Will the BART parking lot be open for parking during the strike? For a Saturday AM flight I planned on driving to the Millbrae BART station and parking in the lot, walking over to the Caltrain station and then taking the free SFO shuttle.
I parked at Millbrae BART earlier today and there were plenty of open spots, and the shuttle to SFO was right on schedule over in the Caltrain parking lot.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Not good news.

ABC7 News ‏@abc7newsBayArea
#BREAKING: #BART says a maintenance train has hit two people. No word on extent of injuries. Details to come.

CCC Firefighters ‏@CCCFirefighters
UPDATE | @ContraCostaFire | ambulances canceled by fire crew | 2 fatalities | BART PD on scene | #BART @BARTChiefSpokes
Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
ABC7 News ‏@abc7newsBayArea
#BREAKING: Officials confirm two #BART employees died after they were struck by a maintenance train today.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:10 pm

Rob is correct, bus stops at the Caltrain side. There is a schedule on the flysfo website. The escalators were working from the passenger zone Caltrain up into the station, down to the BART passenger zone. The screen gate on the 4th floor was not down into the garage. I did not try the elevators. I feel bad for all the foreign tourists who roll up with all their luggage only to find locked BART doors with out of service signs on them. There are two SFO employees telling them about options, mostly shared van shuttles. Hard to say how long this is going to go on. For those BART workers killed today, RIP.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Landed at SFO today and tried to jump the Samtrans. We walked down and the express was just pulling in. Too crowded to board. Driver wouldn't let anyone on. (But he did let 6 off).

"The next one might be by in 45 minutes or so"

__

We ended up hiring a car from Uber with a few other people who were also waiting
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:00 pm

Taxi from Millbrae BART $18

Instead of taking the free SFO shuttle from Millbrae Caltrain station to SFO, I ended up splitting a cab with someone else waiting who was running late. It was a little more expensive than I thought : $16 + tip. A third person wanted to join us, but the driver wouldn't allow it. He said that would break the rules.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:29 pm

I asked one of the cabbies at Millbrae BART passenger zone about a month ago, he quoted $12.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by travelingchumley
I asked one of the cabbies at Millbrae BART passenger zone about a month ago, he quoted $12.
He was either low-balling it, or the taxi I had had a bad meter. It read $16.05 when we got to the United terminal.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Traffic is going to be hellacious until the strike is resolved. If you are traveling to SFO during rush hour, please be sure to give yourself sufficient time to get to the airport. OAK could also be impacted as 880 may see additional traffic. During the last strike streets in downtown SF were gridlocked during evening rush hour. Traffic near SJC should be ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.