FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alternatives to/from SFO if BART strike
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:42 pm
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by landesb
Assuming BART goes back out on strike this coming Monday, does anyone know the best way to get out to Walnut Creek?
I'm flying home from Barcelona on Monday. My plan right now is $29 Evans Airporter bus which stops in Vallejo on the way to Napa (stop is the hotel across from Marine World). My sister's husband in American Canyon will run me home. If it's early enough in the day (won't be for me, 1900 arrival), there is a bus connection to Walnut Creek from the transit center a few blocks away on York Street in Vallejo.

If I can't get home for some reason Monday night, then Vallejo ferry in the morning connecting to SOLTRANS Route 78 bus to Walnut Creek BART (stops in Benicia). That bus has been pretty reliable and I used it to get to BART for this trip, among many others. It only runs until about 7-8 at night, though, and more frequently during commute hours.
http://www.soltransride.com/routes/m...dule/route-78/

It's possible that SOLTRANS Route 80 may continue right into San Francisco from El Cerrito BART. That would get you to Vallejo and then connect to route 78 to Walnut Creek. Watch the connecting times, though, if they do publish a schedule. I would not want to be around the transit center after dark as it's a block from an apartment complex with crime issues.

I'm just not up to speed on any planned bus service to Walnut Creek from San Francisco. Maybe that will be announced Monday, but then the issue is how much capacity and how long you'll have to wait. Didn't the buses only run during commute periods last month?

Tom in Barcelona