Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

E-rewards [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E-rewards [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by brabb12
Hi guys I originally posted this in another thread but didn't get any response or answer, and I want to know what you guys think. It's from milesforopinions. Which is AA miles.

I did a REMESH survey that offered me $50. But it would be paid out in AA miles on milesforopinions. I asked them how many miles I would be getting for the value of $50. They came back and told me I would get only 2000 miles for that REMESH study. I guess they value $1.00 at 40miles. Does that seem low to you guys? Maybe the rep had the wrong number. What is your guy's valuation for $1.00 to AA miles with them? Please help
I know nothing about milesforopinions, so what I'm about to say may be comparing apples to kumquats. All I can tell you is that on e-rewards, 2,000 AA miles=$100 in e-rewards currency. So if there is an equivalency (and that's a big if), $50 for 2,000 miles would seem like a good deal.
brabb12 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bob12403
I know nothing about milesforopinions, so what I'm about to say may be comparing apples to kumquats. All I can tell you is that on e-rewards, 2,000 AA miles=$100 in e-rewards currency. So if there is an equivalency (and that's a big if), $50 for 2,000 miles would seem like a good deal.
Yes, remember, they're using official rates/prices for miles. That doesn't seem unusual to me either.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
What are official rates for funny money (e-rewards currency)? Just because they are called "dollars" doesn't make them real money. Remember, Zimbabwe also had dollars, just not the US version
brabb12 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Varies a little, but average 3:1 ($25 gift card for 75 funny money)
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I keep getting an error message when trying to cash out to Iberia Plus Avios. Well outside of the 30-day restriction and I've never had problems before. Anybody else in the same situation?
Yes, just happened to me. Any info from the support team?
Old Oct 17, 2020, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Yes, just happened to me. Any info from the support team?
Essentially I was dumped as a member, but they reconsidered and re-activated my account...
Old Oct 20, 2020, 7:59 am

Is anyone else getting the unexpected error message when trying to access surveys?
Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Is anyone else getting the unexpected error message when trying to access surveys?
Whenever I log in I see "No surveys available. Complete your member profile to receive more studies."

Been like that for over 24 hours. Is that what you're seeing or something else?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 2:27 pm

I got an email requesting that I fill out a submit an IRS W-9 form.

The email wasn't specific, but listed a bunch of survey organizations, which I suspect in my case was e-rewards.

Has anyone received this?

Obviously one should comply with income tax laws. However, I question how they determined I exceeded the $500 threshold, and the "value" they assigned to hotel and air points.

Curious of the takes of others on this, the ramifications of not submitting a form, and so forth.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by IamHydro

The email wasn't specific, but listed a bunch of survey organizations, which I suspect in my case was e-rewards.

Obviously one should comply with income tax laws. However, I question how they determined I exceeded the $500 threshold, and the "value" they assigned to hotel and air points.

Curious of the takes of others on this, the ramifications of not submitting a form, and so forth.
Had some experience with this taking surveys for cash with a different provider (though probably part of the same group). Of course, there it was easy to determine value, but I think you can bet that like other providers/partners they are valuing them at the full value (around 2.9 cents for airline miles as I recall) that the airlines and hotels value them at.

When I had this for the cash surveys, they sent me the W-9 request as I was approaching the $500 threshold. I did go through it, and I got a 1099-Misc.

But as far as the repercussions if you don't submit the form, you can be pretty sure they'll just stop giving you rewards. Then there's no tax issue, and no liability for them paying you without a form.

Since it is November, the easy way out if you don't want to incur tax liability is to just hold off until January 1, which will reset the clock.

FTF
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Since it is November, the easy way out if you don't want to incur tax liability is to just hold off until January 1, which will reset the clock.FTF
I'm not an accountant, but as companies are not required to send you a 1099 until the end of January (with the same info reported to the IRS) I'm not so sure this is going to work. Companies do the calculations in January, so once Dynata receives the W-9 after January 1 they would do the math and send the 1099. The tax liability doesn't just disappear simply because it's a new year. And as you pointed out, if you don't submit the W-9 form at all they can stop giving you rewards or just freeze/close your account.

Last edited by bob12403; Nov 8, 2020 at 10:42 am
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by IamHydro

I've been doing e-rewards for years, and this is the first time I've received this request. My guess is that it has something to do with Dynata taking over e-rewards. Here's the text of the email I received:

Our records show that you received $500 or more in payments from Dynata in 2020, through the redemption of points or dollars or otherwise from Dynata’s survey panels (such as e-Rewards, Valued Opinions, QuickThoughts, OpinionWorld, OpinionOutpost, Vindale, OneOpinion) or from a focus group study hosted by Dynata. We need you to send us a completed IRS W-9 form, which can be accessed here.
Please complete the form, and include any email address associated with your panel memberships on the form.
Why are we asking for this?
• Your W-9 is needed to report payments of $600 or more to the IRS on Form 1099-Misc.

• You will receive the 1099-Misc in late January or early February of 2021.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
When the Perk program was a thing and you could do well spinning ads on a bank of cheap smartphones if you had no data cap on your home internet service, there were a lot of people who got hit with this. So not unprecedented.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by bob12403
I'm not an accountant, but as companies are not required to send you a 1099 until the end of January (with the same info reported to the IRS) I'm not so sure this is going to work. Companies do the calculations in January, so once Dynata receives the W-9 after January 1 they would do the math and send the 1099. The tax liability doesn't just disappear simply because it's a new year. And as you pointed out, if you don't submit the W-9 form at all they can stop giving you rewards or just freeze/close your account.
Hi "Bob" and the folks he was replying to (not sure how to quote back to that - yes, if they have not calculated tax liability yet and found in January that they'd paid over the limit, then he'd have liability. I was going by my experience with a similar outfit that they keep a running track and just won't pay you any more once you get close if you don't give them a W-9. That's how it worked there, anyway. So if you got close and got the demand for a W-9, it was up to you whether to continue asking for redemptions or not.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
This W9 is a Yank thing only, I guess, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.