Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
They are quite generous in giving out the airline statement credit. Just call them or submit a secure message. I have all my GC purchases reimbursed on Alaska Air.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Got my RC Reward Gold Elite card today. Since I added my wife as additional Visa card member, can I request that her name be added to the elite card?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
The place where I used my Ritz-Carlton card was a restaurant within a Ritz-Carlton. But because I was not staying at the Ritz-Carlton at the time, the purchase is classified as "Non Ritz-Carlton purchase", so it only earned one point per dollar spent. It probably mentions this somewhere in the fine print, but I still plan on calling in to complain about this misleading advertising.
I'm curious on how Chase ended up seeing the charge as a "non Ritz-Carlton" room stay. Did your credit card statement report the charge as from the restaurant or the Ritz-Carlton hotel? (maybe it's visa merchant category based? or special handling with the RC-card at checkin?)

I have an event scheduled at a Ritz next year and wondering if I charged the remaining balance on an RC-card if it would return either 5x or 1x points. The event deposit did show up as coming from the Ritz hotel (though it wasn't charged to an RC-card).

Does anyone else have datapoints on non-room RC charges giving 5x points?

Last edited by stormer; Nov 5, 2011 at 12:13 am
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by kleinms
Booking at standard rates to get club level, when one can use a AAA rate and get club access for the same or less makes no sense.
I realize that I am replying to a post that's several months old but just wanted to mention that it's not so simple. All the special rates are capacity controlled and often aren't even available on Club level rooms. In other words, if you are booking rooms at a popular RC that's fairly busy, you won't be able to use AAA, corporate and many other types of rates.

I am being told that there are capacity controls on the RC credit card Club upgrade offer as well, but I have no idea how to get more information to compare capacity controls.

Amex Platinum gets me upgrades at RCs and breakfast every time I stay
Amex Plat gets you upgraded to the Club level? Really? I've been using Amex Platinum for a couple of years now and have found RC's to be extraordinarily protective of its Club level. It is usually very difficult to use AMEX Platinum to get an RC Club level upgrade. Your breakfast for 2 every morning, your 4pm checkout and hotel specific benefit are guaranteed, however.

By the way, you can't combine the AMEX Platinum benefits with AAA rates/corporate rates either. AMEX Platinum rates at RC's are usually the standard rack room rates (subject to the occassional stay 2/3/4 nights, get an extra night free offers). What I like about the AMEX Platinum rates is that they are not capacity controlled, so you get your free breakfast, late checkout and hotel specific benefit even if it's the very last room at the hotel. If I could get the same guarantee on the RC credit card Club upgrade offer, I'd jump on it.

, plus Admirals club access. Admirals Club for myself and my wife costs $700/year, thru AA. With Amex Plat, it is $625 plus I get prioritypass for the random time I don't fly AA. Additionally, with UA/Continental leaving prioritypass come October 1, lounge access gets further reduced, making RCs prioritypass access less meaningful.
The lounge access program is WAY better with AMEX Platinum. Since Delta and now Continental/United have pulled out of Priority Pass, having Priority Pass alone is of rather limited use to me.

As I said above, if RC would change its program to guarantee the Club level upgrade on the last room availability basis, I would consider the credit card a lot more seriously.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Would a $125 upgrade fee (from airlines) be covered by the card and fall under the $200?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by welookgood.com
Would a $125 upgrade fee (from airlines) be covered by the card and fall under the $200?
It might, but only the people at Chase could definitively answer that question.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Just called Ritz rewards center to redeem club upgrade certi.. meaningless benefit.. They asked me pay rack rate.. haha.. It should be applied to any rate like Hyatt's diamond suite upgrade.. Rack rate they asked is $320.. But, I reserved a room with my corporate rate $110..
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I've had this card for a few months now and have mixed emotions about it.

The good:
1.Getting reimbursed for baggage fees was a quick and easy process. I usually fly delta when possible and get comped on first bag but this was recently worth $100 to me when taking a US air flight.
2. $100 credit for using the concierge service. This was an offer I received in the mail shortly after getting the card. I used them last month so this should show on my bill next month.
3. 50000 point sign on bonus - easily covered the cost of the card for this year.
4. maintain gold status for Marriott and Ritz Carlton - I have been able to maintain platinum but I'm not so sure about this year. I could fall a few nights short and I would like to try some other hotel chains without worrying about dropping below gold status.
5. No charge for an extra card
The not so good:
1. I think the club level access could use some work. I tried booking a suite about 6 weeks out at the DC RC. There weren't any club level suites available for the upgrade(regular rooms were but there are 3 of us traveling). I was able to reserve a club level suite paying the regular rate.
2. There is a $100 hotel credit when booking 2 nights but there is a promotion available to anyone that gets you the same deal.
3. Priority Pass - I pulled this card out at a lounge recently and the desk person asked me if I had an Amex plat card which I did. Not sure if I could have used the PP card or not but she seemed to think it wouldn't have worked for my party of 4.
4. For some reason, it is difficult to swipe this card at times. It seems to work at gas pumps ok but I have a lot of trouble everywhere else.
I will have to think this one out when renewal time comes around. Breaking even on the fees is the minimum requirement and I am disappointed with the first club level upgrade experience. I don't think it would be worth it just for this perk.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:29 am

Wink

Would appreciate comments as to if I am understanding this card correctly:
- I am Marriott Silver and would immediately become gold. Free lounge access and breakfast. I will be in Paris for five nights so 5 breakfast buffets for wife and myself $250
-Luggage fees, drinks on plane, etc. reimbursed- probably 120 bucks just from Europe RT in coach
-free card additional- will lose one gold card saving25 or more
-50,000 points in Marriott (is this correct) should be worth 300 bucks

So I am looking at probably 670 or so value without using any other benefits.
Sounds good to me. I don't know if I would keep the spend the next year on this as I have Platinum and Marriott Chase CC.

Thanks for any comments and clarifications.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by shoelessj
Would appreciate comments as to if I am understanding this card correctly:
- I am Marriott Silver and would immediately become gold. Free lounge access and breakfast. I will be in Paris for five nights so 5 breakfast buffets for wife and myself $250
-Luggage fees, drinks on plane, etc. reimbursed- probably 120 bucks just from Europe RT in coach
-free card additional- will lose one gold card saving25 or more
-50,000 points in Marriott (is this correct) should be worth 300 bucks

So I am looking at probably 670 or so value without using any other benefits.
Sounds good to me. I don't know if I would keep the spend the next year on this as I have Platinum and Marriott Chase CC.

Thanks for any comments and clarifications.
I think you pretty much understand it. I think the 50,000 points are worth more than $300. To maintain the gold status each year, you need to put $10000 on the card anually.
The only other thing is the concierge lounges are usually only open during the week at most places I have been to; not sure about Paris. Although I have been comped free breakfasts on the weekends at some Marriotts, it hasn't been the norm.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Outside of North America G/P members get breakfast 7 days a week even if lounge is closed. But most European lounges are open 7 days a week. See the lounge sticky for your specific hotel.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by No Clue
I think you pretty much understand it. I think the 50,000 points are worth more than $300.
As I needed less than 10,000 points to go before having enough for a free night at a Cat 2 RC (40,000 points per night), the 50,000 points got me two free nights. And I used them over the New Years holiday, when the cheapest rooms were going for over $600 a night. So they can be worth a LOT more than $300...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:19 pm

Club Upgrades question

Re: "three e-certificates for the club upgrades" that appear in your account

Can you book any rate and get upgraded to a club room with these e-certs, or is it that you can use the club but have the same room type you have purchased?

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zhaunk
Re: "three e-certificates for the club upgrades" that appear in your account

Can you book any rate and get upgraded to a club room with these e-certs, or is it that you can use the club but have the same room type you have purchased?

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that they have no obligation to give you a room in the club level with these certs, though I can't imagine why they wouldn't give you a room in the club level if it was available.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:51 am

While Starwood Gold is a nice feature of the AMEX Platinum, I think a "Luxury" brand like Ritz Carlton would make a very nice addition. Seems like AMEX has some stiff competition in the credit card game especially with this card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.