Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ritz Carlton
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
There is a complementary thread about the new R-C card on the Chase UR Forum here: Ritz-Carloton Visa Infinite
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton credit card from Chase

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by am1996
In my experience, the answer is "yes," the same as FHR. There are occasionally small differences (up or down) but I've generally gotten the impression that those are not intentional and are just the result of computer glitches.
Thanks am1996. This is my understanding too, just was not 100% sure.

I do see the package offerings on RC.com, but have not tried to book one. If you cannot apply the RC Card Club upgrade to a package, then I agree with you it reduces the value of this club upgrade benefit...
Old May 3, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Thanks am1996. This is my understanding too, just was not 100% sure.
You are quite welcome.

I do see the package offerings on RC.com, but have not tried to book one. If you cannot apply the RC Card Club upgrade to a package, then I agree with you it reduces the value of this club upgrade benefit...
Right, you cannot combine the RC card club upgrades with a package or any special or otherwise discounted rates (FHR, etc...).
Old May 3, 2012, 12:58 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Then there are various association and company negotiated rates, but if you don't have access to those, then it's not applicable to you.
Though it's not always advertised, don't forget that many Ritz Carlton properties offer a AAA rate (often around 10% discounted from the regular rate).
Old May 3, 2012, 4:25 pm

I received an offer. They are waiving the annual fee for the first year plus the 70,000 points.

Seems to be targeted to RC Residence owners.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt
There are numerous ways not to book rack rates at the RC's. Most RC's quote specials and packages right on their website, which require you to pay a higher nightly rate but give you benefits that are larger than the nightly room rate increase. There is also FHR, etc...

Also, for longer stays, it is always cheaper to book the stay as part of a package, especially if you go through a rebating travel agent (you can't use a rebating travel agent if you use the Club upgrade provided by the RC card). For instance, I would never book a stay at one of the Caribbean RC's without such a package, which, at least in my experience, represents a much better value than the Club upgrade provided by the RC card.

Then there are various association and company negotiated rates, but if you don't have access to those, then it's not applicable to you.
Thanks am1996, helps make things more clear. Thinking of staying at a RC later this year in either Jamaica or Cancun, any rebating travel agents that you recommend I look at?
Old May 4, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by BlakeTraveler
Just received a targeted offer from Chase for The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa Signature card. The offer is for 70,000 Ritz-Carlton Rewards Points (enough for one night at a Tier 5 property-their highest). This offer has me more interested as 20,000 extra points over the standard offer of 50,000 is pretty tempting. The annual fee of $399, much like the American Express Platinum Card, is still steep unless you get the value from the benefits of the card.

Has anyone else received this targeted offer?
I got either this offer or the 50k offer several months ago in the mail.

Unless they waive the annual fee, I have no interest either way.

Instead of this card, I got the Marriott Visa card with the first year fee waived and 70k points. As others have said on the other thread, the benefits are not that useful. I had thought that the upgrade to Gold would be worthwhile until I was upgraded to Platinum for 90 days and that was actually of no value (except for the Marriott points bonus). We stayed at a RC during that time and had a waterview suite. So I asked if they would upgrade us to Club Level since I had Platinum status and they said that hotel didn't participate in the room upgrade program. So much for the "free upgrade" benefit.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by Long Islander
I got either this offer or the 50k offer several months ago in the mail.

Unless they waive the annual fee, I have no interest either way.

Instead of this card, I got the Marriott Visa card with the first year fee waived and 70k points. As others have said on the other thread, the benefits are not that useful. I had thought that the upgrade to Gold would be worthwhile until I was upgraded to Platinum for 90 days and that was actually of no value (except for the Marriott points bonus). We stayed at a RC during that time and had a waterview suite. So I asked if they would upgrade us to Club Level since I had Platinum status and they said that hotel didn't participate in the room upgrade program. So much for the "free upgrade" benefit.
The front desk person should have explained this better but I think you are confusing the RC club with the lounge access provided at other Marriott properties.

The RC club is much more extensive and exclusive. I am a Plat with RC/Marriott and I would be extremely unhappy if they let anyone with Gold/Plat status into the Club for free. It is designed to be an exclusive environment with very personalized service. It also has much more in the way of free food and drinks (including alcohol).

The upgrade at RCs is to better room categories (excluding suites). For example, I recently reserved a city view room at the RC San Juan and was upgraded to Oceanview upon arrival.

I have the card and I think it pays for itself very quickly. The $200 airline credit basically makes the card cost $195 a year and for that you get up to 21 days of free club level access, a priority pass card, Gold status if you spend $10k a year and access to the JP Morgan (Read: NOT CHASE) Concierge service which is lightyears ahead of any other service I've used. To each their own though...
Old May 4, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I got offered the Marriott card with 70000 points and first year fee waived last month.
Old May 4, 2012, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
The RC club is much more extensive and exclusive. I am a Plat with RC/Marriott and I would be extremely unhappy if they let anyone with Gold/Plat status into the Club for free. It is designed to be an exclusive environment with very personalized service. It also has much more in the way of free food and drinks (including alcohol).
That's correct. RC's Club lounge is not even in the same vicinity as "club lounges" at regular Marriott's, as its food and drink offerings are actually quite extensive.

The upgrade at RCs is to better room categories (excluding suites).
Excluding suites and all Club level rooms.

Last edited by am1996; May 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Old May 4, 2012, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
I have the card and I think it pays for itself very quickly. The $200 airline credit basically makes the card cost $195 a year and for that you get up to 21 days of free club level access, a priority pass card, Gold status if you spend $10k a year and access to the JP Morgan (Read: NOT CHASE) Concierge service which is lightyears ahead of any other service I've used. To each their own though...
As I previously pointed out, however, the Club level upgrades that come with this card require you to book at rack rates and cannot be combined with packages, association discounts, company rates, FHR, etc...

When I previously ran the numbers, the RC card Club upgrade program makes no sense for short stays of 1-3 nights. It starts to make sense for stays of 5-7 nights.

The Marriott Gold status that comes with the card (and requires you to spend $10K/year after the first year to maintain it) does get you anything at RC's, other than free internet, which is a rather minor perk.
Old May 7, 2012, 7:54 pm

How long did it take to get your Ritz Carlton card package after you were approved?

Maggie
Old May 8, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Got the letter also. The new Lounge Club membership seems to be a replacement of Priority Pass Select to avoid confusions. This was discussed in the JPM Palladium thread as well. My speculation is that all the Priority Pass Select membership (including Amex Plat and Ameriprise WEMC) will eventually be converted to Lounge Club.

I went through the lounge list. In USA, Lounge Club gets rid of US Airways Club all together. In comparison, Priority Pass (the paid membership) still have United and US Air. Outside USA, Lounge Club's coverage is also much smaller than Priority Pass (and Priority Pass Select). That is why Priority Pass Select says "over 600 lounges in over 300 airports" while Lounge Club says "over 350 lounges in over 200 airports). I consider it the conversion from Priority Pass Select to Lounge Club a big downgrade, specially if you travel internationally.

Received the letter from 'Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card from J.P. Morgan' a couple of days ago.

'Important changes coming to your airport lounge membership'

- Priority Pass Select is converting to Lounge Club
- Still complementary to you and your guests
- Same as PPS but with a 'new network of lounges' ('350 lounges in 200 cities around the world')

Still relatively useless to me... In my metro area, only one club (SFO Alaska) among three airports - SFO, SJC, and OAK.
Chicago - Swiss lounge
IAD - BA Galleries Lounge
SEA - Alaska Board Room
DEN - zip
BOS - Air France GRAF Lounge

https://www.loungeclub.com/en/our-lounges/

My first impression of PPS was that it was useless for me / my travel patterns.

Reading through the Lounge Club materials reiterates this: Useless. Why bother. A hollow perk.

Maybe (since Chase / JP Morgan is affiliated with UA) they are working on bringing United Club in to the mix. If they do this, then I would find this card more useful.

I have Priority Pass Select from 3 different credit cards, but RCR is the only one I have heard anything from.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Priority Pass Select to Lounge Club

Got the letter also. The new Lounge Club membership seems to be a replacement of Priority Pass Select to avoid confusions. This was discussed in the JPM Palladium thread as well. My speculation is that all the Priority Pass Select membership (including Amex Plat and Ameriprise WEMC) will eventually be converted to Lounge Club.

I went through the lounge list. In USA, Lounge Club gets rid of US Airways Club all together. In comparison, Priority Pass (the paid membership) still have United and US Air. Outside USA, Lounge Club's coverage is also much smaller than Priority Pass (and Priority Pass Select). That is why Priority Pass Select says "over 600 lounges in over 300 airports" while Lounge Club says "over 350 lounges in over 200 airports). I consider it the conversion from Priority Pass Select to Lounge Club a big downgrade, specially if you travel internationally.

Received the letter from 'Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card from J.P. Morgan' a couple of days ago.

'Important changes coming to your airport lounge membership'

- Priority Pass Select is converting to Lounge Club
- Still complementary to you and your guests
- Same as PPS but with a 'new network of lounges' ('350 lounges in 200 cities around the world')

Still relatively useless to me... In my metro area, only one club (SFO Alaska) among three airports - SFO, SJC, and OAK.
Chicago - Swiss lounge
IAD - BA Galleries Lounge
SEA - Alaska Board Room
DEN - zip
BOS - Air France GRAF Lounge

https://www.loungeclub.com/en/our-lounges/

My first impression of PPS was that it was useless for me / my travel patterns.

Reading through the Lounge Club materials reiterates this: Useless. Why bother. A hollow perk.

Maybe (since Chase / JP Morgan is affiliated with UA) they are working on bringing United Club in to the mix. If they do this, then I would find this card more useful.

I have Priority Pass Select from 3 different credit cards, but RCR is the only one I have heard anything from.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:23 am

Received that same sort of offer but mine was "Receive 70,000 Ritz-Carlton Rewards points". As I already have the Marriott Rewards CC, I won't going for the offer.
Old May 10, 2012, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by cardtracker
50K points posted within a week after first purchase plus three e-certificates for the club upgrades are in account.
Originally Posted by atlantacane75
1) Received the 50,000 points in my account at the closing of my first statement.

2) Was able to get PriorityPass issued to my additional cardholder by contacting the concierge.
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
Mine posted along with the points accrued when/shortly after my first statement was issued, so it took about a month from first use. May have been sooner, as I wasn't checking them frequently.

Hope that helps.

O/H
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Points were posted today. It took longer because it took me awhile to get around to actually using the card, so the purchase didn't get applied until the second statement. But the points came as soon as the second statement came out.

I do, however, have a bone to pick with this:

This is not entirely true. The place where I used my Ritz-Carlton card was a restaurant within a Ritz-Carlton. But because I was not staying at the Ritz-Carlton at the time, the purchase is classified as "Non Ritz-Carlton purchase", so it only earned one point per dollar spent. It probably mentions this somewhere in the fine print, but I still plan on calling in to complain about this misleading advertising.
I'm confused by these statements? The literature says you get the bonus points after first purchase (allow 6-8 weeks). And the first poster said they got the bonus points after 1 week. However , the next 2 posters said that they got the points after the first statement.

When did other people get their points? I'd like to use the points for a mid June stay, but I am not thinking I will get it in time. I looked online and my statement deadline is July 1.

Maggie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.