Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by bargainhunter3
Do you realize that giving a driver a 4 or below is considered a 'fail' for the driver? .
yep. That's why I consider 5 a tip. It says: you did a great job, thanks, you get paid.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I always tip Uber drivers.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I don't tip, unless there's a specific reason where I felt the driver has gone above and beyond. I in general dislike the forced tip culture, and think that tips should be reserved for excellent service.

I have spent some time as an Uber driver as well, never expected a tip, and only on occasion received one. If a customer asked me if a tip was included, I would say no but mention that it wasn't necessary. If they still wanted to tip, great. I think in the beginning Uber had some sort of language that would lead the customer to believe a tip was included in the fare (untrue, at least for X), but that's been cleaned up.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I like uber because the payment is all handled by the app, automatically. If I have to start pfutzing around with currency, its a problem.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by entropy
I like uber because the payment is all handled by the app, automatically. If I have to start pfutzing around with currency, its a problem.
More than a problem. It defeats one of the major benefits of the service: a totally automated paid experience. @:-)

To me that's Uber's huge advantage over Lyft, where tips appear to be expected.

Expecting me to will drive me away from using the service.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:38 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Tipping Uber drivers

I tipped a driver for the first time yesterday. Folded his MPV seats to collect stuff at IKEA and helped me load and unload the stuff.
Actually used him as a "delivery guy" as he was following me as I was driving too.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I tipped a driver for the first time yesterday. Folded his MPV seats to collect stuff at IKEA and helped me load and unload the stuff.
Actually used him as a "delivery guy" as he was following me as I was driving too.
And perfectly reasonable...sounds like the guy went "above and beyond" and this is the perfect reason to give a tip.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:04 am

There was a time when UberX rates were high enough (for the drivers) for Uber's cashless approach to work. Most markets have had their X rates cut at least in half (or more) in the past 2 years or so.

I think on longer fares ($50+), tipping may not be as important as the driver will make some $$$ ... but especially on short-haul minimum fare runs, riders need to seriously consider tipping. A $4 minimum fare that takes a driver half hour of their time nets him or her about $2.40 after Uber's safe ride fee and commission. A $2.40 run for half hour of their time, before any expenses (maint, gas, loan). When the minimum fares were $10, different story.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
There was a time when UberX rates were high enough (for the drivers) for Uber's cashless approach to work. Most markets have had their X rates cut at least in half (or more) in the past 2 years or so.

I think on longer fares ($50+), tipping may not be as important as the driver will make some $$$ ... but especially on short-haul minimum fare runs, riders need to seriously consider tipping. A $4 minimum fare that takes a driver half hour of their time nets him or her about $2.40 after Uber's safe ride fee and commission. A $2.40 run for half hour of their time, before any expenses (maint, gas, loan). When the minimum fares were $10, different story.
Your example seems a bit extreme. In the major metropolitan areas, I've never had an uber further than 5 minutes away. Even if the driver was 10 minutes away, you'd run through a minimum fare in 2 miles (less if there's waiting time).

There's no way a driver would spend a half hour on a $4 fare - maybe 15 minutes. And in that case, I would consider tipping. However, the driver shouldn't expect it as it's part of the job. Like any business, you're going to get some great customers and some bad ones too.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I consider giving a 5* rating to be a tip. @:-)

This ^^^

For me:

5 is a perfect ride. Water & chargers provided if it's Uberblack. Air conditioning offered, no crazy music playing. Automatic 5 if they have the Spotify thing worked out (which I've done once out of 200 rides so far).

4 is a good driver with small problems. Car is dirty, air conditioning not offered, no water or chargers (or even a substandard vehicle) with black, they have screamo/Metallica/obscene rap playing (which has happened multiple times with no regard to what I might want to hear as a passenger)

3 is LOUD music, filthy vehicle, stained seats, unbearably hot with no effort to accommodate, driver doesn't understand that they must follow the pin for pickup and typed address to drop off
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I also do not tip when taking Uber. The whole convenience aspect as the cashless system, all paid thru the app. And since most of my Uber rides are for business expense, it makes it a lot easier for reimbursement. If I have to use cash for a tip, then it complicates the expense report a whole lot more.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:08 am

I recently did just take my first Lyft ride and I feel like yeah...tips were expected. Maybe it's just me, I mean the driver didn't say a word about it in particular but he did talk about how little they get/how prices are cheaper than Uber.

Still enjoyed the experience, And I really don't mind tipping, But I prefer to do so at my own discretion and appreciate how uber REALLY doesn't push tips.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by DocP

While I love Uber, this may be a case of Uber trying to have it both ways. Market a cashless, no tip service to customers and allow drivers to believe that tipping is appropriate by not outright forbidding tips.
Uber says that tip is included in the fare. I agree with the other poster that you should report the driver who misled you. How do you feel about restaurants who include the tip in the check, but don't make it clear and thus do get a double tip from some patrons?

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
This ^^^

For me:

5 is a perfect ride. Water & chargers provided if it's Uberblack. Air conditioning offered, no crazy music playing. Automatic 5 if they have the Spotify thing worked out (which I've done once out of 200 rides so far).

4 is a good driver with small problems. Car is dirty, air conditioning not offered, no water or chargers (or even a substandard vehicle) with black, they have screamo/Metallica/obscene rap playing (which has happened multiple times with no regard to what I might want to hear as a passenger)

3 is LOUD music, filthy vehicle, stained seats, unbearably hot with no effort to accommodate, driver doesn't understand that they must follow the pin for pickup and typed address to drop off
You are quite strict with 5s and loose with a 3 star rating.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Originally Posted by pWei
Seems like everything on there seems reasonable to dish a 3 rating.

1) Loud music - inconsiderate to the passenger
2) Dirty vehicle
3) Unwillingness to accommodate passengers desired temperature
4) Inability to follow directions (though this is subject to user error as well)

Tiger, I had issues with pickup until I started just throwing in the address instead of dropping a pin, which has eliminated 90% of my pickup issues.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by pWei
Actually most rides I've had are 5s. I start at 5, and as I notice shortcomings, the rating starts to fall. I would say 70% of the time it's a 5 star ride.

So far I've used Uber in

-Tucson
-Phoenix/Scottsdale
-Los Angeles
-Wilmington
-Berkeley/San Francisco
-Rome
-London
-Vienna

Tucson is the absolute worst. I don't think trucks should ever be considered for Uber unless they specifically create a truck service, you are going to an offroad destination/event or the truck is spotless (or a Lincoln Mark/GMC Sierra Denali).

Drivers need to be specifically trained to follow the pin for pickup and dropoff. At the same time, users need to understand that the pin does not always accurately match their GPS location, or that their GPS location may not reflect where they are (especially if cell service is weak). I've never had a problem telling the driver to pick me up at the pin after actually verifying the pin has located ME correctly.

Being customer-focused is what Uber is about. When drivers fall short in any of the areas I mentioned earlier, their rating suffers. I'm not reporting them, I'm just giving them a reminder that things could be better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.