Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by DocP
In general, one does not tip a business owner.
So when the owner of a beauty salon/barber/bar (as bartender)/(other stuff where tipping is customary in the US) provides you with a service, and you are aware they are the owner, you don't tip?

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Drivers need to be specifically trained to follow the pin for pickup and dropoff. At the same time, users need to understand that the pin does not always accurately match their GPS location, or that their GPS location may not reflect where they are (especially if cell service is weak). I've never had a problem telling the driver to pick me up at the pin after actually verifying the pin has located ME correctly.
You statements seem to be contradictory. You are saying follow the pin while acknowledging the pin may not be where it is supposed to be. (Which I have run into quite a bit on Google Maps.) And how do you verify that the pin that the driver sees is where you are? I've had instances where what I've entered as my location and what the driver sees are totally different; that is a Google/UBER app issue.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by empedocles
You statements seem to be contradictory. You are saying follow the pin while acknowledging the pin may not be where it is supposed to be. (Which I have run into quite a bit on Google Maps.) And how do you verify that the pin that the driver sees is where you are? I've had instances where what I've entered as my location and what the driver sees are totally different; that is a Google/UBER app issue.
The default for the driver needs to be to pickup wherever the pin is.

The rider needs to LOOK at where the pin falls before they confirm the ride (shocker! you can actually move the pin!) Do the cross streets correspond with where you are? Simple move.

The discrepancy between the pin and your actual location lies within your phone's GPS and the cell signal, not Google or Uber. Frankly the concept of "GPS" on an iPhone is total bullsh*t. I wish they would not call it that and instead refer to it as Cellular Positioning System. If it were ACTUALLY GPS then you would be able to acquire your location without a cellular signal, as GPS uses satellites.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
At some point, Uber will allow some kind of in-app tipping system similar to Lyft. Until then, I will not tip an Uber driver unless they go above and beyond (for example, I tipped an Uber SUV driver for fitting seven people in his SUV on a trip). Uber specifically says no tip is necessary - drivers need to take up the issue with Uber, not customers. Once Uber says tipping is customary or encouraged, and allows it via the app, then I will tip.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
The discrepancy between the pin and your actual location lies within your phone's GPS and the cell signal, not Google or Uber. Frankly the concept of "GPS" on an iPhone is total bullsh*t. I wish they would not call it that and instead refer to it as Cellular Positioning System. If it were ACTUALLY GPS then you would be able to acquire your location without a cellular signal, as GPS uses satellites.
Not true. Google gives directions to a location about a mile away for a place I used to frequent, no matter how it is entered/located/pinned on the map.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Frankly the concept of "GPS" on an iPhone is total bullsh*t. I wish they would not call it that and instead refer to it as Cellular Positioning System. If it were ACTUALLY GPS then you would be able to acquire your location without a cellular signal, as GPS uses satellites.
They can absolutely acquire your position without cellular coverage. It can't necessarily pull up the background map, etc. (and it certainly can't tell Uber where you are), but cellphones absolutely DO have GPS receivers in them. Most of them also get location information from the Russian GLONASS system, to improve accuracy and provide redundancy.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I always tip Uber drivers.
Me too. I don't always give what I'd give a regular taxi (15-20% in the US), but give because I AM saving money and I appreciate the availability of the service. EVERY time I have done so (mostly Chicago), the driver stops me and says something like, "Oh, you don't have to; it's covered."

I have never had anyone (Uberx or Uber taxi) try to solicit a tip from me, and would 1* them and complain if they did.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT

Drivers need to be specifically trained to follow the pin for pickup and dropoff. At the same time, users need to understand that the pin does not always accurately match their GPS location, or that their GPS location may not reflect where they are (especially if cell service is weak). I've never had a problem telling the driver to pick me up at the pin after actually verifying the pin has located ME correctly.
Unless I have given a specific address as pickup location, I contact the driver while waiting to make sure he/she knows where I am - which corner of an intersection, on which side of a busy street, etc. With the feature of being able to make contact easily, it's a no-brainer.

(I also think that contact reduces the likelihood that the driver will cancel the trip if he/she comes across another fare closer to where the driver's coming from. I've never had that happen but I've heard complaints from others.)
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:34 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
So I just saw that tipping IS possible on uber.

If you log into your online profile, under Payments it says this at the bottom:

Your preferred gratuity will be applied to any future TAXI trips that you request through Uber. This will apply to TAXI fares only (not Black, SUV, or uberX) and be paid to your driver.
You can then select 0, 10, 15, 20, 25 & 30%.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by gilbertaue

Just a heads up, this is for UberTAXI only- which is just Uber allowing users to request a taxi through the Uber app. This is not the same for UberX, XL, BLACK, SUV and UberRICKSHAW or whatever new service they are offering these days.

https://help.uber.com/h/8fafa355-c0c...4-b5894004ff33

If one does take UberTAXI, just keep in mind that the rates are based on taxi rates, not Uber. Also, if the driver takes a crazy route, Uber really isn't allowed to modify the fare to reflect a more direct route.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by lskohn
Unless I have given a specific address as pickup location, I contact the driver while waiting to make sure he/she knows where I am - which corner of an intersection, on which side of a busy street, etc. With the feature of being able to make contact easily, it's a no-brainer.

(I also think that contact reduces the likelihood that the driver will cancel the trip if he/she comes across another fare closer to where the driver's coming from. I've never had that happen but I've heard complaints from others.)
I also do this in big cities/urban areas, especially where pick up may be complex.
And I have had the driver cancel the trip. Which I think you should be able to report.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:24 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lurkgoddess
Originally Posted by gilbertaue

Just a heads up, this is for UberTAXI only- which is just Uber allowing users to request a taxi through the Uber app. This is not the same for UberX, XL, BLACK, SUV and UberRICKSHAW or whatever new service they are offering these days.

https://help.uber.com/h/8fafa355-c0c...4-b5894004ff33

If one does take UberTAXI, just keep in mind that the rates are based on taxi rates, not Uber. Also, if the driver takes a crazy route, Uber really isn't allowed to modify the fare to reflect a more direct route.
Thanks for this info!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
I tip on every Uber trip to or from an airport as that was routine with Taxi drivers. And considering Uber is still 25%-50% cheaper it is still a deal.

Around town, $2-$3 if I have cash on me.

Why would you not tip on airport trips if you tipped before?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by owflyer
I tip on every Uber trip to or from an airport as that was routine with Taxi drivers. And considering Uber is still 25%-50% cheaper it is still a deal.

Around town, $2-$3 if I have cash on me.

Because you don't have cash on you, or because Uber says no tips.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by owflyer

because now you're using UBER

UGH! Some people will never get it...

Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: ABBA
The argument that many americans use for tipping is that the wages are paid with an expectation that people get tipped. There's also a benefit for the tipee (And a drawback for society) that, like most of the cash economy, it's a way to avoid paying taxes. Look at Greece to see where that road leads to.

However with Uber, this arguemnt doesn't (yet) apply - there's no expectation from Uber drivers to receive a tip, and long may that continue. If you want more money, charge more, it's not rocket science, it's capitalism. Don't try to hide what you're charging from your customers, and don't swindle your fellow citizens who are paying their fair share of tax.

The only thing that risks breaking the system of "Give a bill, receive money" is people who will pay more than what the bill says. Do it enough and you create an expectation. If you were to get a phone bill for $50, would you pay $65? Of course not. You do it with resturants because otherwise the waiters will be paid 5¢ per hour, but why would you do it with Uber where the wages and prices are not (currently) set with an expectation of a tip?

I suspect there's an element of "Look at how important I am, here peasent, have some alms" to tipping too. There's a Friends episode where this happens -- Rachel + Ross go out for a dinner with Rachel's father. The check comes, and the father pays and leaves a misery (by american standards) tip. Ross is shocked, and leaves an extra $20, which backfires and Ross ends up paying the whole bill, rather than looking like the "big man" while only paying 10% of the total. If tipping becomes "the norm", and another company doesn't take over from where Uber lives, perhaps Uber could pop up the "tip amount" with the "rate this ride" screen -- that way there's no link between passenger and tip, it's completely anonymous and dealt with hours after the fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.