Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:07 pm

My company will no longer reimburse Uber tips.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:38 pm

My rating has not budged from the 4.82-4.83 range for the last year or two. This is maybe over about 1000 rides. Prior to the introduction of tipping, I was never below 4.9. I generally just tip for airport runs where I get help with the bag.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mellified
My company will no longer reimburse Uber tips.
Even though I am not a fan of rideshare tipping, this feels too far to me. Less to do with an anti-tipping crusade and more to do with making employees feel awkward/uncomfortable for no good reason. We have all hashed this to death and generally convinced ourselves that drivers can't see the tip before rating the rider, but I don't really *know* that and most casual Uber users will not assume that. Banning tips puts them in what they may think is a bad spot - right or wrong.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:08 am

Does your rating change if you cash tip vs App tip ?
I have only used Lyft a couple times and tipped well because I got a new user credit so the ride was free,
but I really hate the idea that if I do not tip enough i could be blackballed and left standing at the curb just like a NYC taxi !
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Does your rating change if you cash tip vs App tip ?
I have only used Lyft a couple times and tipped well because I got a new user credit so the ride was free,
but I really hate the idea that if I do not tip enough i could be blackballed and left standing at the curb just like a NYC taxi !
I've never given a cash tip to anyone on Uber or Lyft and it has not affected my rating. I'm close to 5 on both - close enough that Lyft sends me "5-star rider" promotions every now and then.

I've never noticed difficulty summoning a ride that I attributed to anything other than area traffic.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:58 am

My company has always not reimbursed tips and if a driver goes out of his way and I want to tip it has to be in cash because if the receipt is audited and shows tip (or alcohol for meals) the reimbursement is denied.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
My company has always not reimbursed tips and if a driver goes out of his way and I want to tip it has to be in cash because if the receipt is audited and shows tip (or alcohol for meals) the reimbursement is denied.
Are you similarly banned from tipping a traditional metered taxi driver?
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by pinniped
Are you similarly banned from tipping a traditional metered taxi driver?
Or tipping for meals? Especially when servers are not paid a lower minimum wage than other hourly employees?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Segments
Or tipping for meals? Especially when servers are not paid a lower minimum wage than other hourly employees?
Yes, no tips for any for-hire transportation.
Meals are per diem, receipts are required for proof "we don't pay for you to eat out, just for the difference eating out and eating at home" was the explanation. Before you ask, hotels are prepaid so no reimbursement for maid service. Cheap company when it comes to anything but salary.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:02 am

Meals are per diem, receipts are required for proof "we don't pay for you to eat out, just for the difference eating out and eating at home" was the explanation. Before you ask, hotels are prepaid so no reimbursement for maid service. Cheap company when it comes to anything but salary.
Even with great salary, I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy working for a firm that clearly has zero trust in the employees.

I've worked under per diem systems before - expressly to get everyone involved *out* of the process of submitting a stack of small meal receipts. I'm not even sure what the hotel with no housekeeper is. A corporate apartment? I've had projects that assigned those - I looked at it as a benefit vs. a hotel. Happily trade hotel points for a nice comfortable place to live during a long project. (Even corp apartments usually have a once-a-week housekeeper.)
newbiztraveler likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
They make you stiff taxi drivers? There's cheap, and there's absurd.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Segments

Is there a reason you don’t use the receipt from Uber for your expense report?

Both the emailed and in app receipts show the charge with tip. (Emailed receipt as a total, in app receipt as fare plus tip similar to a restaurant receipt.). My employer actually prefers it as the Uber receipts show “To” / “From” detail.
I submit the Amex statement as support. I don't like two line items.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
When a driver doesn’t fetch me at my stated origin point, I can’t see any reason to tip the driver. My house is in the middle of a residential inclined street, and some drivers stop at the intersection and wait for me to walk up the half block to them. I always need for them to drive me to my destination so it’s pointless to complain. I just walk to their car and let them drive me to my destination.

but I don’t know why they fail to stop in front of my listed address, and I have zero desire to tip when I’m forced to inconvenience myself by walking to their car. This isn’t like the discount pool/shared ride where I’m supposed to walk to a specific destination to get my ride.

I feel similar if I’m at a restaurant and they stop across the street, forcing me to jaywalk through 2 lanes of traffic. I won’t jaywalk and will just walk to cross at the stop light to get to them; but again that to me means “no tip”
CMK10 and diburning like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:38 am

In NY they are now adding a 2.5% NY State Black Car Fund tax to tips. And for some reason, their computers are having a really hard time figuring out how to display it on the receipt. My wife had a ride last week where she tipped $3.76. She was correctly charged another $.09 for the Black Car Fund (2.5% of $3.76). But only the PDF version of the receipt that is downloadable from uber.com correctly showed the BCF charge as $.09. All other versions of the receipt that I looked up showed the correct total charge for the ride, but the line items didn't add up: the e-mail receipt showed a $.27 BCF tax on the tip, the uber.com website trip history showed $.63, and the app trip history didn't show a BCF tax on the tip at all. Really strange. And this could cause problems if employers audit receipts and the line items don't add up to equal the total.

You'd think that with the amount of money Uber spends on tech, they'd figure out how to display all the line items on a receipt consistently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.