Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Tipping Uber drivers

I recently took my first ever Uber trip. I used Uber Black mainly because I had my SO with me. The ride to the airport cost around $120, which is comparable to a taxi fare for that route.

As it was my first trip, I asked the driver a few questions about Uber and how the payment system worked, etc. He made a point of telling me 3 times that tips are not included in the fare. At the end of the trip I tipped him $20.

From reading on here, it appears that a lot of folks do not tip Uber drivers. I'm not trying to start a philosophical debate and I know that tipping is a personal decision, but I am curious to understand the norm on this as compared to say a traditional taxi. Obviously, this is more relevant in areas (such as the US) where tipping is more common.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
I've used Uber a number of times (but not Uber Black). I've never tipped the driver. I think one of the attractive features of the service is convenience - no cash needed. Since you can't tip via the app (which I believe is by design), having to have cash on hand negates the convenience a bit.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:14 pm

Soccerdad1995, you should have a receipt in your email. Reply to it and say the driver misled you into handing over $20 cash. Ask Uber to refund $20 to your credit card.

Uber is a cashless experience. Tip is not customary for UberX/Black/SUV/LUX/RUSH/EATS/anything except UberTAXI. For UberTAXI, Uber will add 20% of your meter in a separate line item to your fare. That's the tip.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
I recently took my first ever Uber trip. I used Uber Black mainly because I had my SO with me. The ride to the airport cost around $120, which is comparable to a taxi fare for that route.

As it was my first trip, I asked the driver a few questions about Uber and how the payment system worked, etc. He made a point of telling me 3 times that tips are not included in the fare. At the end of the trip I tipped him $20.

From reading on here, it appears that a lot of folks do not tip Uber drivers. I'm not trying to start a philosophical debate and I know that tipping is a personal decision, but I am curious to understand the norm on this as compared to say a traditional taxi. Obviously, this is more relevant in areas (such as the US) where tipping is more common.

Thanks in advance.
I only ride black, have taken over 800 trips and have never tipped. My passenger score is 4.9.

I feel for the drivers since Uber is basically screwing both of us (increasing their commission to 25% while raising prices for me), but I take it enough to get the same guys multiple times a month, so whatever.

I don't carry cash and will never tip outside the app.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:11 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by davie355
Soccerdad1995, you should have a receipt in your email. Reply to it and say the driver misled you into handing over $20 cash. Ask Uber to refund $20 to your credit card.

Uber is a cashless experience. Tip is not customary for UberX/Black/SUV/LUX/RUSH/EATS/anything except UberTAXI. For UberTAXI, Uber will add 20% of your meter in a separate line item to your fare. That's the tip.
+1

The whole point is that everything is cashless. Uber is also clear about this on their site:

https://help.uber.com/h/1be144ab-609...5-b9c7de5ec073

DO I NEED TO TIP MY DRIVER?

You dont need cash when you ride with Uber. Once you arrive at your destination, your fare is automatically charged to your credit card on file theres no need to tip.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Tipping Uber drivers

No tipping with uber. You can tip with Lyft.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Once people starting to tip, drivers will be expecting it - bad trend.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Agree with all posters above. You should absolutely report the driver.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1p
My car died a year and a half ago and I have used Uber since. I will tip when the driver carries my groceries into my house, but not otherwise. The drivers seem pleasantly surprised with the tip. Tips are definitely not expected here.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:03 am

I'm going to go against the grain with the previous posters and say this:
I was an Uber driver a few months ago. I had numerous people ask me about tipping. I clearly stated to them, Uber says tips are not required. I had people say to me, I thought tips were included in the fare. I clearly stated to them its only for UberTaxi and not UberX. People who asked me these questions often left me a tip, they insisted.

I'm going to disagree with the fact that you should email Uber and request your money back. As OP stated, you made a personal choice and the driver likely appreciated it.

It is a personal choice to tip or not to tip, but I think it's rude to ask Uber to refund you the money. I'm not sure what the policy is but that money could be taken away from the driver on his weekly check AFTER they took the fees away from him. I've read Uber has done this to others.

Honestly, drivers appreciate tips and rate you higher. Many drivers, not including me will rate based on tips. I only rated low if you messed with the car or insulted me.

Last edited by bargainhunter3; Jun 18, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
In 15 or 20 rides, I've only tipped on two occasions, when the driver went above and beyond at my request. Once picking me up at Love Field, before that was allowed (I dropped the pin outside the airport, then called him with my actual location); and once when he agreed to take me via on the scenic route, which was local streets, both slower and less mileage that the regular highway route.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
I consider giving a 5* rating to be a tip. @:-)
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1p
Part of the problem is that Uber straddles the independent contractor/employee line. (I am aware of the California ruling today.) In general, one does not tip a business owner. Uber drivers are presented as having their own business, not as Uber employees. Uber makes it clear to customers in their marketing materials that tipping is NOT part of the model, not that a tip is included in the fare. In contrast to Lyft, there is no provision to add a tip to the fare.

While I love Uber, this may be a case of Uber trying to have it both ways. Market a cashless, no tip service to customers and allow drivers to believe that tipping is appropriate by not outright forbidding tips.

It also may be that there are different expectations in different cities.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I consider giving a 5* rating to be a tip. @:-)
Do you realize that giving a driver a 4 or below is considered a 'fail' for the driver? If a driver's average rating is below 4.6, a driver can get de-activated from driving, must take a course, paid out of their pocket to get reinstated. Did not happen to me, but I've read it has happened to others.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by bargainhunter3
Do you realize that giving a driver a 4 or below is considered a 'fail' for the driver? If a driver's average rating is below 4.6, a driver can get de-activated from driving, must take a course, paid out of their pocket to get reinstated. Did not happen to me, but I've read it has happened to others.
In my experiences, a driver with a rating of 4.6 or below should not be driving for one of a variety of reasons. I know of people who cancel at 4.7 or below.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.