Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Uber recently added functionality to tip in-app after rides are completed.

Your driver will appreciate it.

I'm sure they would -- but what percentage of people (outside of NYC where everyone bribes, uh, tips, for everything) are doing it?
Print Wikipost

Tipping Uber drivers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
One thing that bothers me is that, as a passenger, I can't see how the driver rated me. I can get my aggregate score from Uber, but not individual ride scores, while, I believe, drivers can get individual passenger scores. I'd be interested to see how drivers rate me, as a source of feedback.

Better system would be for both pax and driver to see how they were rated, but neither be able to see the rating until both have submitted their rating (to eliminate retaliation).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
One thing that bothers me is that, as a passenger, I can't see how the driver rated me. I can get my aggregate score from Uber, but not individual ride scores, while, I believe, drivers can get individual passenger scores. I'd be interested to see how drivers rate me, as a source of feedback.

Better system would be for both pax and driver to see how they were rated, but neither be able to see the rating until both have submitted their rating (to eliminate retaliation).
Drivers - like riders cannot see individual ratings.

A driver can see your overall rating - same as you can see theirs. (you can ask a driver a they will probably tell you what your rating is).

Uber does not disclose individual trip ratings - as they believe this to be a privacy issue.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:33 pm

There is no purpose to rating a passenger other than to make the driver feel empowered. Very few drivers will reject a ride based on your rating. Drivers who reject too many rides, irrespective of ratings, are fired.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by FlyerBrit
The driver star rating system works more like this:

5 stars - Car was clean, driver was polite and got me to my destination safely.

4 stars - terminate this driver.

3 stars - terminate this driver soon.

2 stars - terminate this driver now

1 star - Arrest this driver.

Did you know that drivers need to maintain a 4.6 average rating or they are at risk of termination by Uber?

So anything less than 5 stars is a vote for terminating the driver. (This is Uber - not the drivers doing this).
aka the Millennial grading scale ... everybody gets a ribbon for participating...everyone deserves an "A"

Even the old "rank and yank" scale had more mercy.

Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Segments
aka the Millennial grading scale ... everybody gets a ribbon for participating...everyone deserves an "A"

Even the old "rank and yank" scale had more mercy.

Exactly - is a straight pass or fail.

5 Stars - pass

4 stars or less - fail

The thought that 3 or 4 stars are a passing grade for Uber - is just not relevant in the case of Uber classification.

Sure there are drivers that should be rated lower and need improvement, but realistically most people believe that giving 5 stars is for service that exceeds expectation, and that 3 or 4 stars is a fair rating, but Uber has changed the game on ratings and use it as a weapon to intimidate drivers - how many times can a service be above expectations?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Sometimes I don't understand the rating system. I have a good overall rating with Uber at 4.9. Not sure how I dropped from my 5 rating, but no biggie. I know there are Uber drivers out there who rate their passengers and 3/4 for not tipping, even if it was a simple drive.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Exactly - is a straight pass or fail.

5 Stars - pass

4 stars or less - fail

The thought that 3 or 4 stars are a passing grade for Uber - is just not relevant in the case of Uber classification.

Sure there are drivers that should be rated lower and need improvement, but realistically most people believe that giving 5 stars is for service that exceeds expectation, and that 3 or 4 stars is a fair rating, but Uber has changed the game on ratings and use it as a weapon to intimidate drivers - how many times can a service be above expectations?
I refuse to participate in rating systems like this one. BMW has a similar system. When you take your car in for service, the agent will tell you that anything less than a 5 rating is a fail. 5 is defined as "exceeded expectations". I expect them to service my car, give me a shuttle ride to work, or possibly a loaner if they find something that will take more than a day to resolve, and not nickel and dime me. If they do that, it's not a 5, and I also don't feel like the agent should be punished for doing their job, so I refuse to complete the survey.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I kinda wish you could tip the driver, but at the same time I hate tipping when the service is just as provided. A waiter who merely brings your food out doesn't deserve a tip. Someone who provides excellent service does. A tip is not a tax. A tip is an acknowledgement of exemplary service/attention.

Now some people just may think I'm cheap, but having never worked in a tipping business I've seen first hand what it's like NOT getting them and it didn't bother me. Working at Blockbuster video I went out of my way to help customers find either what they wanted, or make suggestions or hold things for them maybe for a slightly longer time. All I got was a thanks, that's all that I wanted. I worked at a triple food stand at a large fair (PNE for anyone who knows Vancouver), we sold Burgers etc, Pizza etc and Coffee. I worked at the pizza part, never got tips other than from drunks coming from the beer garden...again didn't expect it.

One night I worked the coffee area, I know nothing about coffee never once gave a special coffee out with a leaf in the latte or whatever, people tipped. Why? Just because it's coffee? I made the exact same amount of base pay, put in the same amount of effort.

Why do taxis get tipped if you simply say "take me to _____ & ______". To me the pay is for that ride, no one tips bus drivers. If you ask for advice on where to go, or for him to show you his favorite bar, or he gets you there super fast, then sure. My Uber rides have all been relatively pleasant, I've had cordial conversations with all the drivers. Would I have tipped? I like that it's not compulsory but it would've been nice to maybe go on to the app after the ride after he's out of sight and just add 10% or something.

Seems to me they should be able to do it. That way there's no cash needed, there's no pressure still, maybe they could even do it only after both parties have rated, that way the pay doesn't have any bearing on the rating because it shouldn't. But for the drivers who are giving me advice and stuff I'd like to tip and as a Vancouverite where we don't have Uber I'm ONLY using it as a tourist so for me currently I'd tip most drivers, but if I was using it frequently I'd be much more selective.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
A driver can see your overall rating - same as you can see theirs. (you can ask a driver a they will probably tell you what your rating is).
You can find out what your own Rider rating is. You can request it right in the app. Go to Help --> Account --> I'd like to know my rating. It's not instantaneous, but an Uber support rep will email you within a day or two with your rating.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Tip them drivers, show them you make more money than they do..

Remember the shoe shine boy, we all felt rich Friday night,

Saturday morning the shine had a smile,, and the working white boys had bills to pay.,
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:05 pm

Tips on Uber have been in the news lately. I've updated the wiki for this thread.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm a bit concerned about the recent developments related to tipping. For those who haven't heard yet, part of Uber's settlement with drivers in a couple U.S. states is that they're changing their language on their website regarding tipping. This would theoretically have a worldwide effect, not limited to just riders in the two states where the lawsuits were. (The media is covering it this way, anyway. I haven't seen details about whether the verbiage change is being implemented in all languages and all countries or not.)

The current message is (paraphrasing) "you do not need to tip." The new messaging will be "Tip is not included." Today's message didn't ban tips, and the new message won't mandate them, but everybody expects that the shift will go back to "tipping is customary, like with a taxi" vs. today's model where tipping an Uber driver is rarely done.

My concern is this: I fear Uber will do this *before* they update their app to enable tips. Drivers will begin to expect tips using physical local currency, something I almost never have whether I'm at home or abroad. (That is, little coins/notes in tipping denominations.) If they think it's now customary, they'll give poor rider ratings when people don't tip.

My preference would have been the old model. It seems like the market is already doing its work without the tips. If Uber isn't paying drivers enough, they won't log in and make their cars available. Uber has to raise the rates until enough drivers log in to match demand. This should work *without* tips.

But if we are being dragged to this new (sadly, old) model, then Uber had better quickly upgrade its app to match Lyft's, where the tip is a simple selection in the app anytime after the ride has concluded.

I'm not giving cash to drivers. That's an asinine 20th-century expectation. Even a halfway decent taxi lets me handle tips on-screen in the back seat. Update the app, and I will tip solely because I know I'm being bullied into it with the rider rating hanging over my head. (Assuming that the total fare and value prop for using Uber is still worthwhile, of course.)

Last edited by pinniped; Apr 27, 2016 at 8:01 am
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Not having to tip was one of the original selling points of Uber and Lyft. This is a sad development indeed.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
More on the subject -

Uber drivers can now ask for tips — and stiffing them could ruin your rating

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/uber...ting-1.3554244

Specifically, drivers can now post signs in their cars telling passengers that tips are not included in the fees they pay for rides through the app.
As many around the web have noted, tipping Uber drivers could become downright necessary if the practice takes off. Those who don't tip could suffer some serious damage to their own rider rating and find themselves unable to hail Uber drivers at all.

"Since Uber riders are rated by drivers, the drivers have a bit of leverage besides guilt," notes Time. "Leaving a bad tip or no tip at all could lead to a bad customer review — and down the road drivers could be inclined to pass on picking up riders who are known as bad tippers."
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:51 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Just received this email:

You may have seen speculation in the media about whether we’ve changed our approach to tipping. The answer is no: Tips are not included nor are they expected on Uber.

Nothing has changed. As we've said for many years, being Uber means you don't need to tip. Of course, if you want to tip your driver—we estimate riders offer tips on only a very small number of trips—you’re free to do so, and drivers are free to accept.

When Uber started six years ago, we thought long and hard about whether to build a tipping option into the app. In the end we decided against including one because we felt it would be better for riders and drivers to know for sure what they would pay or earn on each trip—without the uncertainty of tipping.

Today, riders tell us that one of the things they like most about Uber is that it’s hassle-free. And that’s how we intend to keep it.

Sincerely,

[name redacted]
General Manager, Uber NYC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.