Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

A350 grounding - what is the longer term solution beyond re-utilising A330s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350 grounding - what is the longer term solution beyond re-utilising A330s?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: OWE, *G
With this, it finally looks as if QSuite availability will improve again sometime…

"Qatar Airways and Airbus are pleased to have reached an amicable and mutually agreeable settlement in relation to their legal dispute over A350 surface degradation and the grounding of A350 aircraft. A repair project is now underway and both parties look forward to getting these aircraft safely back in the air.”

"The details of the settlement are confidential and the parties will now proceed to discontinue their legal claims. The settlement agreement is not an admission of liability for either party. This agreement will enable Qatar Airways and Airbus to move forward and work together as partners."
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Alongside the resumption of the 789 deliveries and the additional 77Ws from VA, hopefully this means they’ll be able to get rid of those ancient A330s for good…
florin and mediator like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Does this mean that all the code share agreements will stop, or are QR tied into these for the longer run?

I guess it will take a while for the remedial works to be completed (tin of Airbus brilliant white gloss, and several large brushes?)
Freddorick likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by Agent69
Does this mean that all the code share agreements will stop, or are QR tied into these for the longer run?

I guess it will take a while for the remedial works to be completed (tin of Airbus brilliant white gloss, and several large brushes?)
My bet is that they’re there to stay for the meantime (with the exception of AC who will be ending their DOH flights from today). They need every bit of capacity to resume and expand elsewhere.

QR has resumed flights to China (CAN restarted last month) and will be ramping up soon with daily 77Ws to Shanghai, Beijing, Hangzhou and Guangzhou.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: QR PC, BA EC, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by Agent69

It will take a while to fix all the grounded A350s and replace old products (still a number of non-Qsuite A350 and 777 yet to be replaced) while still trying to expand the network at the same time - so I think the codeshare agreements will probably stay for another year or two at least, or even longer.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Did the QSuite retrofits stop completely as more frames got parked because of this? Don't suppose they took the opportunity to renovate any Super Diamon A359s, for fear that they'd not get it sorted.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by billy.f
It will take a while to fix all the grounded A350s and replace old products (still a number of non-Qsuite A350 and 777 yet to be replaced) while still trying to expand the network at the same time - so I think the codeshare agreements will probably stay for another year or two at least, or even longer.
Those repairs won't take 1 or 2 years to complete. All relies on what kind of contracts are made between the codeshare partners.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Getting some A350s back into service is very exciting! MEL used to get a daily A380, then switched to daily A350 and it's now 2 777s. I am hoping that these 2 switch to A350s.

It will be interesting to see how this affects the rest of the fleet. Nobody here likes the A330s but they aren't that old (16.4 years on average) so I don't know if QR will be in a rush to get rid of them. Maybe with more 787s being delivered, there is hope. They've wanted to park the A380s; not sure if that idea will be resurrected.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Those repairs won't take 1 or 2 years to complete. All relies on what kind of contracts are made between the codeshare partners.
It's great news but It will take a long time.

First, all the detailed legal paperwork has to be filed and some details could hit a snag.Given the history with QR, the repair process won't start until the legal situation is crystal clear.
Then the birds have to be recommissioned after long storage and probably flown to some Airbus base, where the "improvements" will be implemented. QR will probably wait for the result on a couple of birds to give the green light on the others.Then Airbus has to schedule those on top of the existing work. It could take more than a year to be completed.
I hope that I am wrong.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:21 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by billy.f
Were the "older" A359 ever slated to be retrofitted? I thought they were to remain superdiamond as they're really not outdated
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:02 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Will this breakthrough also imply that Airbus will reinstate the cancelled A350 and A321neos and follow the deal through with QR?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by qraec777
Will this breakthrough also imply that Airbus will reinstate the cancelled A350 and A321neos and follow the deal through with QR?
Yes, according to Bloomberg. Although the 321’s will be coming later (2026 instead of 2023 if I remember correctly).
KingCanute likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Freddorick
Yes, according to Bloomberg. Although the 321’s will be coming later (2026 instead of 2023 if I remember correctly).
Wow, that's great news. That will add a good number of A350s to the fleet and hopefully finally get rid of the A330s.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:22 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by etiene
Did the QSuite retrofits stop completely as more frames got parked because of this? Don't suppose they took the opportunity to renovate any Super Diamon A359s, for fear that they'd not get it sorted.
​​​​​​​I certainly hope they haven't or will ever change the "old" A350 seats.I love the Super Diamond seat with the open cabin on the A359!
Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:36 am

One way to manage your cashflow I suppose... good to see common sense has prevailed anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.