Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

A350 grounding - what is the longer term solution beyond re-utilising A330s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350 grounding - what is the longer term solution beyond re-utilising A330s?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC, BAEC
Originally Posted by sl1ppy
Thought BKK had 2 A380 flights now?
Still 1x daily A380 at the moment....the other two daily flights to BKK are about as consistent as the weather forecast in the UK....QR830 & 832 gets pretty much the entire mix of QR fleet flying at the moment in between A332/333/359/35K/77L or 77W

Have a look at the below, pretty much sums up the state of QR Ops at the moment lol

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...t?ident=QTR830
https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...t?ident=QTR832
Old May 24, 2022, 1:29 pm

My qr832 flight in July is 333 but with 777 a day earlier or a day later. No hope to get qsuite any more
Old May 24, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
One point some have skipped over in this thread is that for most carriers this was a business case of "lets get it fixed and move on", not dig in and fight it. In my opinion it was a misstep by the Qatari government when their regulator stepped in and took a stand and caused the grounding. Other airlines could make their moves based on the need to keep business going, whereas QR is now stuck with the weight of their own regulator having taken a position that may prove difficult to walk back.

This leaves QR worse off with options on how to handle this mess.

-A
And we guess that the regulator's decision is "inspired" by QR to offer QR some legal protection in what was a tough overall negotiation to obtain benefits from Airbus.
Such minor issues are frequent and AAB just used it to gain some leverage with Airbus. It badly backfired. And the World cup is getting near.

QR was my favorite airline (in J). I flew around 10 to 20 QR J segments per year.
Building a premium image takes a long time and QR managed it.
It saddens me to see that being destroyed by inconsistent mix of ac being used, especially the subpar A330.
Most airlines have now upped their game in J seats, and QR offers inferior A330 product. As a frequent J traveller, I don't pay for the uncertainty and stress of all these substitutions. I am OK with the Russian roulette of getting a Q or non-Q A350. I am upset, when I end up in an A330, especially the coffin-like window seats, as I recently did..
And QR now charges much more than other airlines with a consistent good (not great) product.

Last edited by brunos; May 24, 2022 at 2:09 pm
Old May 24, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
And we guess that the regulator's decision is "inspired" by QR to offer QR some legal protection in what was a tough overall negotiation to obtain benefits from Airbus.
Such minor issues are frequent and AAB just used it to gain some leverage with Airbus. It badly backfired. And the World cup is getting near.
That is how it seems to have gone down. The problem now is that the regulator has to roll back it’s opinions without being seen to be ruled by commercial interests.

So it appears that what’s left here is who will be left holding a bag of ripe dates.

-A
brunos and Traveller999 like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DonnyJohn
My qr832 flight in July is 333 but with 777 a day earlier or a day later. No hope to get qsuite any more
There is still hope, the schedule is so unreliable at the moment that you can't really trust anything until a few days before the flight (or even on the day of the flight).....my QR832 flight in a few days has been swapped from 77W to 333 to 77L and now back to 333 again within the past few weeks lol
Old May 25, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DonnyJohn
One thing I imagine might be happening is that as frequencies to premium stations in Europe / US / Australia ramp back up they will suck up more and more of the Qsuites equipped 777s and therefore rotations to lower margin Asia destinations that may have temporarily had Qsuites 777 will now lose them and be downgraded to a 787/A330 given there is no A350 to change to. For example, LHR gains a 6th daily flight and FRA a third daily flight from July.
Old May 25, 2022, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

And the Aircraft swap lottery continues

A330s making a comeback to MXP, FCO temporarily over world cup period

https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220525-qr4q22wc?format=amp
Old May 26, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K
just noticed my DOH-CMB flight in October went from a 77W to a A330-300. I just checked to see what J config the A330 had and EF shows J class to have four rows (11-12, 14) and Y from rows 20-53. This seat row count does not match what QR has in their website. Any idea if this is a leased plane? or just an Old config?
Old May 26, 2022, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
just noticed my DOH-CMB flight in October went from a 77W to a A330-300. I just checked to see what J config the A330 had and EF shows J class to have four rows (11-12, 14) and Y from rows 20-53. This seat row count does not match what QR has in their website. Any idea if this is a leased plane? or just an Old config?
Oman Air wet leased A330s I think?
Old May 26, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by nomadabroad
Oman Air wet leased A330s I think?
Oman air A330 it is....just checked their website and their A330 seat map matched what i saw on EF. Thanks!
Old May 27, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Given the latest news, I suspect Airbus and QR may end up settling. If it's a confidential settlement, then no party would have to publicly admit to anything, so a good opportunity to save face and not appear to be walking back or eating one's words.
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by florin
Given the latest news, I suspect Airbus and QR may end up settling. If it's a confidential settlement, then no party would have to publicly admit to anything, so a good opportunity to save face and not appear to be walking back or eating one's words.
But this option can only happen after the Qtari CAA has rethought their tance, see above. That means that something has to change on the Qatari side of the equation first, and it will involve walking back a position.

-A
Danny Martello likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:10 am

But this option can only happen after the Qtari CAA has rethought their tance, see above. That means that something has to change on the Qatari side of the equation first, and it will involve walking back a position.

-A
But if there is a settlement which involves the temporary fix now followed by the permanent fix later once airbus have worked that out, all sides can say they won, with the details and finances remaining confidential. Airbus can say the planes are airworthy with the temporary fix, the Qatari CAA can agree with them, and AAB can say he won by holding out for the permanent fix (he has form for this with the A380 engines).

I suspect they will have these planes back in the air before the world cup.
Old May 27, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by KingCanute
I suspect they will have these planes back in the air before the world cup.
That is one way, but given that Airbus was also willing to tear up the A32x contract(s) then it will be interesting to see what happens.

-A
Old May 27, 2022, 2:30 pm

That is one way, but given that Airbus was also willing to tear up the A32x contract(s) then it will be interesting to see what happens.

-A
Yes it will. I'm sure most things can be reinstated at a price, including the A32X orders. It's a little like the blockade stand off - it's gone nuclear straight away and will need both to calm down a bit. I can't help thinking QR may have damaged their negotiating and commercial position with Airbus in this case though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.